Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times

Advertisements

Didn't conservatives used to oppose affirmative action? Yet they try to foist people with no qualifications for the presidency like Herman Can and Ben Carson on us? Democrats will not have the good fortune to face Carson in a presidential race. Carson is every bit the social conservative right wing loon Rick Santorum is, do they really think that plays well in America? I think they're just excited to see a person of color spout their brand of bigotry for a change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Ben Carson announces retirement, feeds presidential speculation
He's been all over conservative media, and it looks to me like he wants to run for something. He is somewhat coy but if I read his expressions and tone right, he is unable to contain his delight with the possibility of a run for prez. He is going to retire from medicine in about 3 months, and says that he is not going to be one to go play golf.

Looking back at prez candidates, and even VP candidates of the last 50 years or so, virtually all have been political lifers. Ike was the exception, and he worked at the highest levels of gov't as a military officer. Maybe Ross Perot could be cited as another example. A few like Reagan, Romney, and Jimmy Carter had long careers outside of politics, but still all were governors before running for prez, so they had significant political experience.

One thing he does already have over some potential candidates with more experience is the all-important ability to communicate. He's insightful, articulate, and (like Reagan) is brilliant with his use of humor. He's one of those guys who is going to make you smile whenever he talks. Another thing to consider is that health care is going to be one of the top issues in domestic politics for the next few election cycles.

But could a guy with no political experience start out his political career by going for the top job? I haven't made up my mind, but I tend to think that the answer could be 'yes' in this special case.

The Wall Street Journal: Ben Carson for President - WSJ.com
I've only seen clips of his appearances/speeches/ (nothing from beginning to end). I like him a lot. However, I like him because he reminds me of my kid's pediatrican, who I adore. They are both smart, calm, soft spoken and caring. Voting for him is an entirely different matter though. I might for a mayors office or even a congressman, but nothing higher than that. I don't even know everything he stands for, I'd have to study that. Plus, he has no experience. At this time, I'm not seeing it.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Didn't conservatives used to oppose affirmative action? Yet they try to foist people with no qualifications for the presidency like Herman Can and Ben Carson on us? Democrats will not have the good fortune to face Carson in a presidential race. Carson is every bit the social conservative right wing loon Rick Santorum is, do they really think that plays well in America? I think they're just excited to see a person of color spout their brand of bigotry for a change
Where are you getting the idea the party is trying to foist (as you call it) anyone onto you or anyone else? You saw how far Cain got...the Dems managed to ruin him before he could really get started, but he wasn't just picked the party, white or black, ..he entered the race on his own and did fairly well for awhile. Dr C. is a new face, he got the attention of many because he had the guts (I would use another word) to give him opinion on things the Pres and the Dems did not want to hear. They are the ones that invited him to speak and brought him to the attention of many. The Republicans had nothing to do with this.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:07 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where are you getting the idea the party is trying to foist (as you call it) anyone onto you or anyone else? You saw how far Cain got...the Dems managed to ruin him before he could really get started, but he wasn't just picked the party, white or black, ..he entered the race on his own and did fairly well for awhile. Dr C. is a new face, he got the attention of many because he had the guts (I would use another word) to give him opinion on things the Pres and the Dems did not want to hear. They are the ones that invited him to speak and brought him to the attention of many. The Republicans had nothing to do with this.
Cain said he wanted an electric fence that electrocuted to death Mexicans that climbed over the fence but the Dems ruined him? Wow you really are bought and paid for, or so I'd like to think since rational people don't want poor Mexicans brutally murdered by electrocution.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:07 AM

1,127 posts, read 904,219 times
GOP has NEVER nominated a Black man for President, I doubt they plan on doing it any time soon, maybe in 30 years.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
its funny how they say they don't care about race but the first black that says anything conservative gets put on the pedestal
The only people I see talking and using race is the dems

Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Mr. Cain self-destructed all by himself. He was ignorant of the world outside our borders and seemed proud of that fact (Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan anyone?), his 9-9-9 economic plan was simplistic and laughable, and he had women coming out of the woodwork claiming sexual misconduct. How his implosion on the national stage was the Democrats' fault is nothing more than delusional rightwing mythology. He was a joke of a candidate and the country saw that pretty quickly and easily.

Dr. Carson is getting attention from the right because he is a black man who is critical of President Obama. In rightwing land, criticizing the president is enough to qualify you to run for president (Donald Trump, anyone?). That the criticism comes from a black man is simply a huge bonus for a party in which minorities are virtually non-existent, something the GOP is finally understanding is a problem for them.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 04-06-2013 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Cain said he wanted an electric fence that electrocuted to death Mexicans that climbed over the fence but the Dems ruined him? Wow you really are bought and paid for, or so I'd like to think since rational people don't want poor Mexicans brutally murdered by electrocution.
Im not a Cain fan but I have no problem with that suggestion.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
That would be one way to keep illegals out of the country. His comments though, probably over the top wasn't want ruined him, the media attack on his private life did him in...or maybe you want to forget that part...

Old 04-07-2013, 03:38 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
That would be one way to keep illegals out of the country. His comments though, probably over the top wasn't want ruined him, the media attack on his private life did him in...or maybe you want to forget that part...
Mr. Cain did himself in, both with his ignorance of the world and his own failings in his personal life, none of which is the media's fault. Sooner or later the right is going to have to stop blaming that old scapegoat, the "evil liberal media" for everything that reflects badly on their candidates. Personal responsibility, remember?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections