Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,406 times

Advertisements

He is a very intelligent person with very conservative views; I like him. My only concern would be, he has now political experence. He could very well find himself being eaten alive in Washington.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You accuse me of calling him an Uncle Tom when clearly I did not Typical left wing nut jobs attack me for quoting a liberal
Stop playing the victim... one person called him one but you have typed it at least 5 times. It's a shock jock tactic similar to "Obama phones" or "Obama will pay for my gas"

The right always screams individualism until they get their sound bite. Copying and pasting the word a thousand times doesn't mean a thousand people said it...lol.

A guy said it once in here... you typed it 8 times.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,373 times
Ben Carson would not be a viable presidential candidate, mainly because he has never held elected office.

Also, most of his media appearances have been on Fox, where he is among friends. Who knows if he could defend his ideas in a true debate or campaign. I have the feeling that he would be eviscerated.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You accuse me of calling him an Uncle Tom when clearly I did not Typical left wing nut jobs attack me for quoting a liberal
please quote where i claimed you called him an uncle tom.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Daniels/Cason 2016

Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Ben Carson would not be a viable presidential candidate, mainly because he has never held elected office.

Also, most of his media appearances have been on Fox, where he is among friends. Who knows if he could defend his ideas in a true debate or campaign. I have the feeling that he would be eviscerated.
...and this is the problem. They will cry racism though so it's all good.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:23 PM

142 posts, read 120,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Ben Carson announces retirement, feeds presidential speculation
He's been all over conservative media, and it looks to me like he wants to run for something. He is somewhat coy but if I read his expressions and tone right, he is unable to contain his delight with the possibility of a run for prez. He is going to retire from medicine in about 3 months, and says that he is not going to be one to go play golf.

Looking back at prez candidates, and even VP candidates of the last 50 years or so, virtually all have been political lifers. Ike was the exception, and he worked at the highest levels of gov't as a military officer. Maybe Ross Perot could be cited as another example. A few like Reagan, Romney, and Jimmy Carter had long careers outside of politics, but still all were governors before running for prez, so they had significant political experience.

One thing he does already have over some potential candidates with more experience is the all-important ability to communicate. He's insightful, articulate, and (like Reagan) is brilliant with his use of humor. He's one of those guys who is going to make you smile whenever he talks. Another thing to consider is that health care is going to be one of the top issues in domestic politics for the next few election cycles.

But could a guy with no political experience start out his political career by going for the top job? I haven't made up my mind, but I tend to think that the answer could be 'yes' in this special case.

The Wall Street Journal: Ben Carson for President - WSJ.com
Yes, Ross Perot is an apt example. He ran for President twice, and in two elections lost a total of 100 statewide contests. He managed to come in second only twice, and barely (in Maine in 1992 by 1/20th of 1% and in Utah in the same year by less than 3%). I wonder, does Carson have $60,000,000 to spend, as did Perot? (understanding, of course, that such money will go a lot less farther in 2016 than it did in the early 1990s) Not particularly viable.

The answer to your question lies in history. Most all of our elected Presidents (there have been 38 individuals elected President) were Governors of a state or members of the national legislature. There have been only six exceptions to this rule. Four of those rode national hero status during wars to the Presidency (Washington, Taylor, Grant and Eisenhower). The other two were Taft, who had extensive government experience (Circuit Court judge, Solicitor General, Secretary of War, stints as Governor in both Cuba and the Philippines) and Hoover, who had previously served as Commerce Secretary and headed the Food Administration during World War I and coordinated war relief in Europe post-war. Carson does not have a resume similar to any of those men, and the most relevant history is the most recent history. And recently -- ie, all nominees since 1960, covering the last half century -- have been Governors, Senators or members of the House, sometimes more than one of those. And even service in the House appears to be insufficient, those members having gone on the serve as Senator or Vice President before becoming a Presidential nominee.

A career in politics matters. Primary campaigns quickly weed out the inexperienced. In 2016 there will be numerous Republicans who have run many campaigns before, for all sorts of state and federal offices. This experience is useful and relevant. It is one of the reasons that the Herman Cains and Steve Forbes and Pat Buchanans and Jesse Jacksons never come anywhere close to winning a Presidential nomination. I know the "next election" is always a "It's different this time!" moment. Except it never is. The Governors and Senators will make short work of the vanity candidates. They always do.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Ben Carson announces retirement, feeds presidential speculation
He's been all over conservative media, and it looks to me like he wants to run for something. He is somewhat coy but if I read his expressions and tone right, he is unable to contain his delight with the possibility of a run for prez. He is going to retire from medicine in about 3 months, and says that he is not going to be one to go play golf.

Looking back at prez candidates, and even VP candidates of the last 50 years or so, virtually all have been political lifers. Ike was the exception, and he worked at the highest levels of gov't as a military officer. Maybe Ross Perot could be cited as another example. A few like Reagan, Romney, and Jimmy Carter had long careers outside of politics, but still all were governors before running for prez, so they had significant political experience.

One thing he does already have over some potential candidates with more experience is the all-important ability to communicate. He's insightful, articulate, and (like Reagan) is brilliant with his use of humor. He's one of those guys who is going to make you smile whenever he talks. Another thing to consider is that health care is going to be one of the top issues in domestic politics for the next few election cycles.

But could a guy with no political experience start out his political career by going for the top job? I haven't made up my mind, but I tend to think that the answer could be 'yes' in this special case.

The Wall Street Journal: Ben Carson for President - WSJ.com
No-

Too smart and honest. Further he is black and republican, which is forbiden.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No-

Too smart and honest. Further he is black and republican, which is forbiden.
Your right about that. People don't want him articulate, smart, and humorous. They want him to be as the status quo says he should act and be, and clearly this man is not.

They want him to beat to the tune of their drum, and not his own. How refreshing, to not have someone be a patsy.

Other thing is this man does not seem to have a bullish mean arrogant bone in his body, something rare you think.

This is one hell of a smart man, too damn smart and quick for the W.H. and the gosh damn hollyweird elite.

And the media would not stand in the way of this man proclaiming what it is he truly thinks, and the way he really feels. This man is real, not fake! I would even like this man if he were a Demotwit, now that is something.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskiwit View Post
Yes, Ross Perot is an apt example. He ran for President twice, and in two elections lost a total of 100 statewide contests. He managed to come in second only twice, and barely (in Maine in 1992 by 1/20th of 1% and in Utah in the same year by less than 3%). I wonder, does Carson have $60,000,000 to spend, as did Perot? (understanding, of course, that such money will go a lot less farther in 2016 than it did in the early 1990s) Not particularly viable.

The answer to your question lies in history. Most all of our elected Presidents (there have been 38 individuals elected President) were Governors of a state or members of the national legislature. There have been only six exceptions to this rule. Four of those rode national hero status during wars to the Presidency (Washington, Taylor, Grant and Eisenhower). The other two were Taft, who had extensive government experience (Circuit Court judge, Solicitor General, Secretary of War, stints as Governor in both Cuba and the Philippines) and Hoover, who had previously served as Commerce Secretary and headed the Food Administration during World War I and coordinated war relief in Europe post-war. Carson does not have a resume similar to any of those men, and the most relevant history is the most recent history. And recently -- ie, all nominees since 1960, covering the last half century -- have been Governors, Senators or members of the House, sometimes more than one of those. And even service in the House appears to be insufficient, those members having gone on the serve as Senator or Vice President before becoming a Presidential nominee.

A career in politics matters. Primary campaigns quickly weed out the inexperienced. In 2016 there will be numerous Republicans who have run many campaigns before, for all sorts of state and federal offices. This experience is useful and relevant. It is one of the reasons that the Herman Cains and Steve Forbes and Pat Buchanans and Jesse Jacksons never come anywhere close to winning a Presidential nomination. I know the "next election" is always a "It's different this time!" moment. Except it never is. The Governors and Senators will make short work of the vanity candidates. They always do.
Kudos for a lock-down argument. Just one quibble about Perot--by the end of the campaign most people realized that he was flakey (Bush conspired to ruin his kid's wedding, sent Viet Kong assassins after him, etc) but he still got 18.9 pct of the vote. But of course even if he had not been a flake he still probably would have lost, but he was ahead 39% Perot, 32% HW Bush, 25% Clinton in June 1992.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections