Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It is still quite early in the process, however to say there is no other viable candidate is absolutely insane. In fact the Dem potential bench is a bit deeper than the GOP bench

Cuomo
Patrick
Schweitzer (likely why he isn't running for the Senate seat)
Hickenlooper
I guess I should have said, not nearly as many. Hillary is a household name everywhere, certainly Patrick is not, now the other 3. They may have a certain amount of name recognition (Cuomo the most) but it isn't anything like Hillary. The Republican names are more on an even stepping stone at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Looks like a Dem Gov. in Montana widely expected to run and win the open Senate seat is declining to run. Making a GOP pickup a strong likelihood.

Brian Schweitzer gives GOP Senate hopes new life - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

The OP needs to remember what happened in 2012. Weren't Montana, Nprth Dakota, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin and Virginia supposed to be GOP gimmes. The GOP punted them all. The Democratic party ended up gaining two Senate Seats.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
According to Nat Silver at 535, the Senate is a toss up.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The OP needs to remember what happened in 2012. Weren't Montana, Nprth Dakota, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin and Virginia supposed to be GOP gimmes. The GOP punted them all. The Democratic party ended up gaining two Senate Seats.
We all know what happened in MO and IN. I don't think the rest were ever thought as being gimmes. I certainly will say again and again, right now it is a little too soon to pick who will win in 2014 with much certainty. Give it another 6 months. I would like to know where the idea came from the GOP would take Montana, ND, Wisconsin and VA, certainly where you got the idea they were gimmes?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
As much as I don't take him or anyone else seriously. I know he is right much more often than wrong: I think he is close to what most would say, at this stage.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:15 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think the tea Party had much to do with 2012. I think a couple of stupid candidates, cost us and themselves senate seats. In both cases they were asked to step down, well at least in Akins case but he wouldn't do it. Their remarks were not caused by the Tea Party. I am certainly not saying the GOP will take over the senate, I am just saying 2012 is not an example at all.
Akin and Mordouch were both tea party candidates. In Murdouch's case especially, the tea party went HARD after Lugar.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I really disagree about De but we will never know. Yes, they should have won NV. Anyone with a brain knows that. As for the GOP shocking the world in the house, I think you might want to check out your souses. The GOP outcome was never predicted to be anything like it was. BTW< maybe you have me mixed up with someone else: when did I ever say the GOP would take back the senate. I have pretty much said the opposite. I think it is way too soon to predict who is going to win or lose. I am only questioning those who make comments suggesting they are sure how it will come out. I will say, the GOP didn't do any better in the senate race in 2010 than they were expected to do, maybe not as well, but the house they certainly did.
Castle would have won fairly easily in Delaware for the Senate. Keep in mind Delaware has only one House seat, so he was a statewide office holder.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Castle would have won fairly easily in Delaware for the Senate. Keep in mind Delaware has only one House seat, so he was a statewide office holder.
Um, no.

Quote:
If GOP voters are feeling any buyer's remorse, they may take some solace in one surprising stat: despite pre-election polls that showed longtime Republican Rep. Mike Castle handily beating Coons in a hypothetical matchup, the voters who turned out today said they would still probably have sent Coons to Washington over Castle, backing him 44-43 percent.
Link: Exit Polls: the surprise in Delaware – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Also, Christine O'Donnell won independents 49% to 46% over Coons. Can't locate the link just now, but I remember that.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtatech View Post
according to nat silver at 535, the senate is a toss up.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I would agree with Nate in that case. He knows what he speaks of.

And if he were to say one way or the other it's tilting, I'd listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections