Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times

Advertisements

And it's the tea party to the rescue to preserve Democratic control of the Senate.

Conservative groups signal interest in McConnell primary challenger - The Hill's Ballot Box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think the tea Party had much to do with 2012. I think a couple of stupid candidates, cost us and themselves senate seats. In both cases they were asked to step down, well at least in Akins case but he wouldn't do it. Their remarks were not caused by the Tea Party. I am certainly not saying the GOP will take over the senate, I am just saying 2012 is not an example at all.
Did anybody ever figure out why some of these idiots continued to run and then resoundingly lost ? Who would have thunk it. It almost seemed like it was a put up job and I know that sounds conspiratorial but, gads, some of this stuff was just too weird.

I wouldn't vote for Paul Ryan. He didn't resonate with me personally or politically. Rand may be too far out. But, I do want change and getting back to someone that can work both sides of the aisle for the good of "the people".

Old 07-25-2013, 11:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Did anybody ever figure out why some of these idiots continued to run and then resoundingly lost ? Who would have thunk it. It almost seemed like it was a put up job and I know that sounds conspiratorial but, gads, some of this stuff was just too weird.

I wouldn't vote for Paul Ryan. He didn't resonate with me personally or politically. Rand may be too far out. But, I do want change and getting back to someone that can work both sides of the aisle for the good of "the people".
I think we would all like to see someone who will work with both sides like Reagan and yes, even Clinton. Rand Paul might, even though he is a little too far out, you are right. I don't think Ryan has the personality to run and with nomination, though I happen to like his fiscal ideas.

Why do some of these guys just keep running? I wish we knew. I guess it is ego driven or maybe they really think they have all the answers.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

It really is like a clown car with some of these nitwits. The sad thing is, even before the rape comments by Murodch and Akin it was known they were nutters and yet they still won. Murdock's comments on Lugar, bi-partisanship, etc showed he was a nutter well before he made the rape comments and won a Primary. Akin was not exactly some newcomer who somehow sneaked in to win a Primary, he was a sitting Congressman with a voting record as crazy as the words that came out of his mouth.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 AM

113 posts, read 101,454 times
Quote:
I think we would all like to see someone who will work with both sides like Reagan and yes, even Clinton. Rand Paul might, even though he is a little too far out, you are right. I don't think Ryan has the personality to run and with nomination, though I happen to like his fiscal ideas.

Why do some of these guys just keep running? I wish we knew. I guess it is ego driven or maybe they really think they have all the answers.
I'm sorry, that just doesn't make any sense to me. Rand Paul has run for one office in his life, ever. Paul Ryan was basically appointed to run for VP. He wasn't running for President. What are you talking about?

Another problem I have is grouping Republicans who are out of the mainstream GOP into the same group. Rand Paul probably agrees with Akin on less than 50% of the issues. Labeling them as "nitwits" is meaningless blabber. You may not like them, but that description is pointless. That's like labeling Bill O'Reilly and Edward Snowden as "nitwits" in the same sentence.

And the moderate GOP, along with the moderate Dems, were the ones who just voted to continue NSA collection of phone records of all Americans. Being "moderate" isn't exactly a good thing.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It really is like a clown car with some of these nitwits. The sad thing is, even before the rape comments by Murodch and Akin it was known they were nutters and yet they still won. Murdock's comments on Lugar, bi-partisanship, etc showed he was a nutter well before he made the rape comments and won a Primary. Akin was not exactly some newcomer who somehow sneaked in to win a Primary, he was a sitting Congressman with a voting record as crazy as the words that came out of his mouth.
nutty or not, which is a matter of opinion: Akin would have won, probably pretty easily had he not made that ridiculous statement about rape.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majinkoola View Post
I'm sorry, that just doesn't make any sense to me. Rand Paul has run for one office in his life, ever. Paul Ryan was basically appointed to run for VP. He wasn't running for President. What are you talking about?

Another problem I have is grouping Republicans who are out of the mainstream GOP into the same group. Rand Paul probably agrees with Akin on less than 50% of the issues. Labeling them as "nitwits" is meaningless blabber. You may not like them, but that description is pointless. That's like labeling Bill O'Reilly and Edward Snowden as "nitwits" in the same sentence.

And the moderate GOP, along with the moderate Dems, were the ones who just voted to continue NSA collection of phone records of all Americans. Being "moderate" isn't exactly a good thing.
Oh, I think you are confused. The same old people running had to do with the McCains, Romney, Ron Paul, maybe Santorum running again, etc. No one is referring to Paul or Ryan. Read my response and who I was responding to. Annie who asked why some of these guys keep running, when they have lost before. Certainly no one was talking about Paul Ryan or Rand Paul.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
your article title says "take back the senate"

1 seat does not do that(nor are you guaranteed to win it), where do you see Republicans picking up the other 5 seats ?

And also, what is your strategy in 2016 When the seats up for election are all considered "safe" for the Dems ,and Republicans have seats up in Michigan, Illinois,Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and North Carolina?

He probably isnt running for senate the very reason I and other Dems have mentioned, he will run for President in 2016.
Most analysts are predicting the GOP will pick up 3-7 senate seats but with high chances falling short of the Senate majority as they'd have to "run the table" to acheive that. This was on NPR yesterday and the main reason is the 3 retiring democratic senators in republican oriented states.

United States Senate elections, 2014 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MT, SD and WV are probably going to the repubs.
Ak, AR, LA, NC are competitive.

It's hard to weigh in on 2016 since we don't know whom is going to retire other than one guy in OK.
So much can happen in 4 years in terms of health etc. that 2016 is a looooong way off.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most analysts are predicting the GOP will pick up 3-7 senate seats but with high chances falling short of the Senate majority as they'd have to "run the table" to acheive that. This was on NPR yesterday and the main reason is the 3 retiring democratic senators in republican oriented states.

United States Senate elections, 2014 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MT, SD and WV are probably going to the repubs.
Ak, AR, LA, NC are competitive.

It's hard to weigh in on 2016 since we don't know whom is going to retire other than one guy in OK.
So much can happen in 4 years in terms of health etc. that 2016 is a looooong way off.
AR is pretty much up in the air, but it certainly could go Republican. Prior pissed a lot of Democrats off recently, so he may have hurt his base.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
nutty or not, which is a matter of opinion: Akin would have won, probably pretty easily had he not made that ridiculous statement about rape.
No. McCaskill was seen as having very little chance prior to the nomination of Akin. Once he won the Primary the race basically became a pure tossup, and the rape comments turned it into an easy McCasskill win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections