Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 05:26 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
To further expound on the whole why I vote for Democrats (I'm a registered Independent):

Honestly? I don't have a dog in this fight when I look at things from a purely clinical (and narcissistic) perspective, I really don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m educated, white, straight, female, atheist, home-owning, single, middle class, white collar and childless – and I’m gonna stay that way.

I’ve got the life I want. My voting-related concerns are really about the rest of America.

I mean, yeah you could say, “Jrz, you’re a woman! Don’t you care about abortion rights and equal pay?”
Well, in theory, I do. But realistically, I’m 40 years old and a devoted user of multiple forms of birth control. My womb is a vault – good luck trying to crack it. The need to get an abortion at this point in my life is highly unlikely.

And as for equal pay? Well, I’m not taking maternity leave, so I’m not too worried about damaging my pay scale. And I am a female in a male-dominated but not very misogynistic industry – my gender is actually an advantage.

You could also make a point that I should care about separation of church and states, and in theory, I do. But I don’t live in the Deep South where I’m likely to have people telling me I’m going to hell because I don’t believe in Jibbers Crabst. Rather than being offended by religion, I’m mostly amused by it. My industry is very secular, so I have no fears for my job.

Hell, given that I won't be having kids, I shouldn't even care about global warming.

But I do care about it. All of it. Because I want my fellow citizens to have a shot at their own particular brand of happiness, just like I did. I don't want to live in a world where this isn't the case.

You wanna do something for the poor? Provide free preschool. Make practical skills a part of the educational curriculum. Give everyone healthcare, including mental health services. Make college (and vo-tech) affordable again.

Illegal aliens are the bogeyman used to scare children. They're not taking meaningful jobs away from American citizens. They're taking the crap jobs that no one wants. Why on earth would a person on welfare want to get a job working to pick fruit (farmers often say they can only hire illegal immigrants because Americans don't want to do the work) for a pittance knowing that if they get injured on the job they will be worse off when they started? Heck, if you provided pre-K education and healthcare, you could probably get a ton of people off the welfare rolls.

I really should not give a good goddamn about any of this. Except I know I was born with a lot of advantages and had some very good luck, and I want other people to have similar opportunities. And if that means my taxes go up a bit, I really don't care. I'm not one of the 1% and I'll never be even remotely wealthy, but my life is pretty bulletproof. I've seen the uncertainty other people live with at the margins of society and I don't think it should take superhuman effort to pull oneself out of dire poverty.

I've worked hard all my life, and I've reaped the rewards - but I was also guided from the very beginnings by parents who were invested in my education and provided me with a stable home. I had a game plan and a ton of opportunities lined up - I just had to meet certain benchmarks to achieve success. I worked hard, but there was nothing superhuman about it, not even when I was working a full-time job and 4 part-time jobs. I don't want anyone to be handed anything - I just want them to have the tools to achieve a reasonably secure life if they put in a reasonable amount of work. And that's getting harder and harder for the average person to find.
Excellent post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:30 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why does anybody vote for the Democrat? Personally, based on this one issue alone, I would NEVER EVER vote for the Democrat: illegal immigration.

At least, the Republicans want the illegals so that certain businesses can have cheap labor and be more competitive - they don't care about the poor. Why other people, particularly the blacks since 90% of them vote for Democrat, want illegals?

Let's put the laws, the constitution, and the country aside for a moment and pretend they don't matter. By importing 50-70 million illegal immigrants, mostly poor, it could take a huge chunk out of the already small pie of welfare at a time we won't even be able to pay back the current debt!

Not to mention, those illegals will compete with the poor for all the low end jobs. Wait until they become legal, they will ask for $15/hour. Why adding 50 million to the already saturated labor pool?

How is that in anyway helping the poor? Why would anybody vote for the Democrat? This is like to screw every poor person in the behind with a spacecraft.
Really? I seem to recall 3 Republican presidents who did nothing about illegals. I guess they were Democrats in disguise.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:36 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Really? I seem to recall 3 Republican presidents who did nothing about illegals. I guess they were Democrats in disguise.
. . . And if I recall correctly, one of them even granted an amnesty to 3 million illegals. And he is a Republican Demigod now. Go figure.

Mick

Old 02-29-2016, 05:37 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Good for you. Same here.

Now, how does importing 50 million poor people help our own poor people?
I'm going to assume when you said "50 million", you meant a bunch of people and not literally 50 million people.

I don't care if they are poor or if they stay poor. If they are too lazy to work harder to better themselves, let them stay poor.

I don't really care about all the rhetoric regarding giving poor people free stuff. They can have all the free stuff they want. I'm more afraid of right wingers come to our home at night and take us away never to be heard from again.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:40 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
To further expound on the whole why I vote for Democrats (I'm a registered Independent):

Honestly? I don't have a dog in this fight when I look at things from a purely clinical (and narcissistic) perspective, I really don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m educated, white, straight, female, atheist, home-owning, single, middle class, white collar and childless – and I’m gonna stay that way.

I’ve got the life I want. My voting-related concerns are really about the rest of America.

I mean, yeah you could say, “Jrz, you’re a woman! Don’t you care about abortion rights and equal pay?”
Well, in theory, I do. But realistically, I’m 40 years old and a devoted user of multiple forms of birth control. My womb is a vault – good luck trying to crack it. The need to get an abortion at this point in my life is highly unlikely.

And as for equal pay? Well, I’m not taking maternity leave, so I’m not too worried about damaging my pay scale. And I am a female in a male-dominated but not very misogynistic industry – my gender is actually an advantage.

You could also make a point that I should care about separation of church and states, and in theory, I do. But I don’t live in the Deep South where I’m likely to have people telling me I’m going to hell because I don’t believe in Jibbers Crabst. Rather than being offended by religion, I’m mostly amused by it. My industry is very secular, so I have no fears for my job.

Hell, given that I won't be having kids, I shouldn't even care about global warming.

But I do care about it. All of it. Because I want my fellow citizens to have a shot at their own particular brand of happiness, just like I did. I don't want to live in a world where this isn't the case.

You wanna do something for the poor? Provide free preschool. Make practical skills a part of the educational curriculum. Give everyone healthcare, including mental health services. Make college (and vo-tech) affordable again.

Illegal aliens are the bogeyman used to scare children. They're not taking meaningful jobs away from American citizens. They're taking the crap jobs that no one wants. Why on earth would a person on welfare want to get a job working to pick fruit (farmers often say they can only hire illegal immigrants because Americans don't want to do the work) for a pittance knowing that if they get injured on the job they will be worse off when they started? Heck, if you provided pre-K education and healthcare, you could probably get a ton of people off the welfare rolls.

I really should not give a good goddamn about any of this. Except I know I was born with a lot of advantages and had some very good luck, and I want other people to have similar opportunities. And if that means my taxes go up a bit, I really don't care. I'm not one of the 1% and I'll never be even remotely wealthy, but my life is pretty bulletproof. I've seen the uncertainty other people live with at the margins of society and I don't think it should take superhuman effort to pull oneself out of dire poverty.

I've worked hard all my life, and I've reaped the rewards - but I was also guided from the very beginnings by parents who were invested in my education and provided me with a stable home. I had a game plan and a ton of opportunities lined up - I just had to meet certain benchmarks to achieve success. I worked hard, but there was nothing superhuman about it, not even when I was working a full-time job and 4 part-time jobs. I don't want anyone to be handed anything - I just want them to have the tools to achieve a reasonably secure life if they put in a reasonable amount of work. And that's getting harder and harder for the average person to find.
This is a great post. You & I are very similar in life & in our views based on this post.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:42 PM

Why does anybody vote for Democrat?

Isn't it amazing that a majority of voters keeps voting for a Democrat . . . . . 5 out of last 6 elections!

Mick

Old 02-29-2016, 05:48 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Why does anybody vote for the Democrat? Personally, based on this one issue alone, I would NEVER EVER vote for the Democrat: illegal immigration.

At least, the Republicans want the illegals so that certain businesses can have cheap labor and be more competitive - they don't care about the poor. Why other people, particularly the blacks since 90% of them vote for Democrat, want illegals?

Let's put the laws, the constitution, and the country aside for a moment and pretend they don't matter. By importing 50-70 million illegal immigrants, mostly poor, it could take a huge chunk out of the already small pie of welfare at a time we won't even be able to pay back the current debt!

Not to mention, those illegals will compete with the poor for all the low end jobs. Wait until they become legal, they will ask for $15/hour. Why adding 50 million to the already saturated labor pool?

How is that in anyway helping the poor? Why would anybody vote for the Democrat? This is like to screw every poor person in the behind with a spacecraft.
Quote:
But they will get a whole lot less once they add 50 million mouths.
Quote:
Why do you vote for Democrat? You hate the poor just like the Republicans?
Quote:
But it's OK to screw the poor? I don't understand.
Quote:
Regardless what Republicans are. Why do you support Demo so that they can screw the poor so badly?
Quote:
What is your "multitude"? Again, why importing more poor people to punish the existing poor people?
I don't know ~ and maybe it's just me ~ but I suspect the OP had an ulterior motive and was basically just asking a rhetorical question to which OP had all the answers.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:50 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Why? Because Democratic policies work. Democrats gave seniors Social Security, so they could retire in dignity instead of poverty. Democrats gave us Medicare, so that seniors, who couldn't get health care, had affordable access. Democrats started CHIPs, so poor children wouldn't go hungry. Democrats gave us the GI Bill of rights, that helped veterans after the war. Democrats gave is the ACA, so that people who couldn't get health insurance and those with pre-existing conditions, could get insurance. Democrats passed the Fair Labor Standards Act, so employers couldn't exploit their workers.

Where were Republicans on all of these? They opposed every one of them.

All-in-all, Republicans pass laws that favor the rich class and Democrats represent the working class.

Even though the best available research done by ( An Assessment of the Effectiveness of Anti-Poverty Programs in the United States ) show that the Medicaid and food stamps, don’t even have large negative effects on work effort, these programs conservatives most wants to slash.

Why? Because Republicans want to serve the interests of the wealthy conservatives that benefit from those policies. The cadre of Republican billionaires don't want to pay higher taxes that will be used to help "those people." Thus, they invent a myth that the best way to help the poor is to NOT provide them any help at all. This way, according to them, their misery will give the poor the incentive to become educated and industrious. As I said earlier, this has never worked in all of human history.

Their objective is to keep taxes on the rich low and keep government out of their hair. But these people's numbers are small, so they need to fund propaganda groups like the Heritage Foundation to create false data and spread the message to middle-class conservatives, who are generally stupid enough to swallow their lies. Thus the pro-life conservative-leaning worker who listens to Rush Limbaugh will repeatedly vote for the party that is less likely to protect his safety, less likely to protect his job, and less likely to benefit him economically.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
To further expound on the whole why I vote for Democrats (I'm a registered Independent): ..........
Bravo.

Mick

Old 02-29-2016, 05:53 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:

do you think your rich republicans did NOT bring illegals here to work? go stick El head back in sand--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections