Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 06:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

I don't know.

I'm pretty fed up with both parties. If left to their own devices, they'd be Zimbabwe-level corrupt.

Maybe I'm exaggerating (hopefully) & this is just my caffeine withdrawal headache talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 06:16 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why does anybody vote for the Democrat? Personally, based on this one issue alone, I would NEVER EVER vote for the Democrat: illegal immigration.
Translation: you don't want more brown people in the country.

The USA is not a theocracy, therefore there's no real reason for anyone to vote Republican. All this BS about "traditional values" has no place in politics.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:17 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
It would be helpful if you could just give the answer. This really bothers me. :-(
Seems like a personal problem.

Here go to https://www.city-data.com/forum/search.php there are plenty of discussions on the issue.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:59 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So basically, in response to a request that you back up your claim that the Democrats want to "import 50 million poor people" you provide links talking about some form of immigration reform to deal with those undocumented workers who are already here and number somewhere around 11 million?

In other words, your claim is a lie. I and several other posters here already suspected as much, but thanks for providing proof.
Right, that proves me wrong. Screwing the poor 11 million times is a OK but not 50 million!

We have no accurate estimate as how many illegals are here. The best is around 11-17 million. Back when Regan gave the amnesty, 3 times more illegals came out in the end than what was estimated! Those "11 million" would sponsor everybody and their brothers to come here once they become citizens.

So 50 million is really a low estimate.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
To further expound on the whole why I vote for Democrats (I'm a registered Independent):

Honestly? I don't have a dog in this fight when I look at things from a purely clinical (and narcissistic) perspective, I really don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m educated, white, straight, female, atheist, home-owning, single, middle class, white collar and childless – and I’m gonna stay that way.

I’ve got the life I want. My voting-related concerns are really about the rest of America.

I mean, yeah you could say, “Jrz, you’re a woman! Don’t you care about abortion rights and equal pay?â€
Well, in theory, I do. But realistically, I’m 40 years old and a devoted user of multiple forms of birth control. My womb is a vault – good luck trying to crack it. The need to get an abortion at this point in my life is highly unlikely.

And as for equal pay? Well, I’m not taking maternity leave, so I’m not too worried about damaging my pay scale. And I am a female in a male-dominated but not very misogynistic industry – my gender is actually an advantage.

You could also make a point that I should care about separation of church and states, and in theory, I do. But I don’t live in the Deep South where I’m likely to have people telling me I’m going to hell because I don’t believe in Jibbers Crabst. Rather than being offended by religion, I’m mostly amused by it. My industry is very secular, so I have no fears for my job.

Hell, given that I won't be having kids, I shouldn't even care about global warming.

But I do care about it. All of it. Because I want my fellow citizens to have a shot at their own particular brand of happiness, just like I did. I don't want to live in a world where this isn't the case.

You wanna do something for the poor? Provide free preschool. Make practical skills a part of the educational curriculum. Give everyone healthcare, including mental health services. Make college (and vo-tech) affordable again.

Illegal aliens are the bogeyman used to scare children. They're not taking meaningful jobs away from American citizens. They're taking the crap jobs that no one wants. Why on earth would a person on welfare want to get a job working to pick fruit (farmers often say they can only hire illegal immigrants because Americans don't want to do the work) for a pittance knowing that if they get injured on the job they will be worse off when they started? Heck, if you provided pre-K education and healthcare, you could probably get a ton of people off the welfare rolls.

I really should not give a good goddamn about any of this. Except I know I was born with a lot of advantages and had some very good luck, and I want other people to have similar opportunities. And if that means my taxes go up a bit, I really don't care. I'm not one of the 1% and I'll never be even remotely wealthy, but my life is pretty bulletproof. I've seen the uncertainty other people live with at the margins of society and I don't think it should take superhuman effort to pull oneself out of dire poverty.

I've worked hard all my life, and I've reaped the rewards - but I was also guided from the very beginnings by parents who were invested in my education and provided me with a stable home. I had a game plan and a ton of opportunities lined up - I just had to meet certain benchmarks to achieve success. I worked hard, but there was nothing superhuman about it, not even when I was working a full-time job and 4 part-time jobs. I don't want anyone to be handed anything - I just want them to have the tools to achieve a reasonably secure life if they put in a reasonable amount of work. And that's getting harder and harder for the average person to find.

One must be dilusional to think the illegals will not compete with the poor. The only reason you don't see them working in mass at low end jobs is because those companies are required to hire Americans. Once the illegals become legal, there will be low end jobs for the poor. They will compete with Americas at every level of the job market and fight over the welfare.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Translation: you don't want more brown people in the country.

The USA is not a theocracy, therefore there's no real reason for anyone to vote Republican. All this BS about "traditional values" has no place in politics.
Has nothing to do with skin color. I just don't like screwing the poor.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
One must be dilusional to think the illegals will not compete with the poor. The only reason you don't see them working in mass at low end jobs is because those companies are required to hire Americans. Once the illegals become legal, there will be low end jobs for the poor. They will compete with Americas at every level of the job market and fight over the welfare.
When they're legal, they're citizens. Which means they have every right to compete for jobs.

Quote:
I just don't like screwing the poor.
Sure you do.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
When they're legal, they're citizens. Which means they have every right to compete for jobs.

Sure you do.
Precisely the point - we would be adding 50 million cheap labor to the job market.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:44 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Answer this question:

Do you think any self respecting American who is a member of the LGBT Community should vote Republican?

The Republicans have a solid track record based on hate, defamation, disrespect, opposition, prejudice, and contempt for LGBT people.

Ted Cruz even appears on stage and accepts the endorsement of a radical evangelical "cleric" who minutes before called for the execution of gays and lesbians in America.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Answer this question:

Do you think any self respecting American who is a member of the LGBT Community should vote Republican?

The Republicans have a solid track record based on hate, defamation, disrespect, opposition, prejudice, and contempt for LGBT people.

Ted Cruz even appears on stage and accepts the endorsement of a radical evangelical "cleric" who minutes before called for the execution of gays and lesbians in America.
Nothing to do with my question. Let's stick to importing poverty to screw the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections