Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:27 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He never said education would be free. You need to start with a factual position to create a valid argument.
I don't understand but then I am not college educated so I'm not very bright.

Can you skip forward to about 1:58 and translate what Bernie said so a dumbass like me can understand?

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxHne6m_rU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 01:27 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Sanders is 'capitalizing' on youthful idealism, lazy opportunists, and the very ignorant...sounds like a formula for success in today's America. His supporters will steer the country to the left but I expect it to be a slow and painful process.
In other words, the vast majority of those that voted for Obama.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I don't understand but then I am not college educated so I'm not very bright.

Can you skip forward to about 1:58 and translate what Bernie said so a dumbass like me can understand?

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxHne6m_rU
Actually I can't as I'm not where I can listen but Bernie has stated how he would pay for his program.

If it's paid for its not free is it?

Some partial YouTube clip is a lazy rebuttal.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:30 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Public universities are like public high school was 50 years ago when the OP graduated.
To an extent you are correct. The decline of the American educational system has brought the level of modern university graduates to the level of high school graduates 50 years ago. If not even lower.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:31 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Let's tax the 1% for 99% of their income! Oh crap, they left the country.

Let's do it to the next group! Oh crap, they left too.

Let's tax the next 1%! Wait what, that's MY group? Hmmm, where can I immigrate?
Or lets build a banana republic like we are heading towards now, where the super rich can buy and sell the politicians as they please, get what they want and salt of the earth Americans have no say, no power and are shoved aside. Then it will be you and millions of other ordinary Americans who will have to think about moving. Wall Street controls our economic policy, health insurance and pharma companies control our health care policy and war corporations control our foreign policy. Thats not democracy. Thats oligarchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzCLiKMDiIk

Old 04-04-2016, 01:50 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Sanders is 'capitalizing' on youthful idealism, lazy opportunists, and the very ignorant...sounds like a formula for success in today's America. His supporters will steer the country to the left but I expect it to be a slow and painful process.
In other words......

entitlement

He wants to give in to a mentality of "hey! the country owes me! Gimme all u got!"

Old 04-04-2016, 01:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
In other words......

entitlement

He wants to give in to a mentality of "hey! the country owes me! Gimme all u got!"

You are confusing main Street with wall Street.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:52 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Everyone I know who is a Bernie supporter fits two of these three categories:
  • Unemployed (and unmotivated) or a full time student
  • Expect people to give them stuff for free (ie they tip 5% or less when they go out to eat, or order delivery)
  • Get the majority of their news from social networking and Comedy Central

And one thing I notice about them all, they love to complain and they'll often call businesses to complain about perfectly fine service. It's kind of an expansion on point number 2 above, but they'll do things like yell and complain if they feel that their service is too slow, in the hope of getting something for free (ie conning the business) or getting staff fired. They tend to have little respect for people in service industry jobs, probably because most of them have little experience working real jobs. Just a personal observation.
I have noticed that too. Overall they seem to hold a very "entitled" attitude.

Maybe their parents raised them that way, if their parents raised them at all.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:00 PM

21,147 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Public universities are like public high school was 50 years ago when the OP graduated. A college education is as necessary as a high school education was 50 years ago, and public high school has been tuition free for 100 years+.

If we want to compete in the global economy, it is essential that everyone with the ability get the chance to get the education they need, regardless of their income. Tuition free public universities will only cost $70 billion while the war of choice, Iraq, cost 50 times that amount. 50 times! For what?

A better educated population is a population which pays more taxes and do better in society so they dont have to be dependent on welfare.
I couldn't disagree more. In a healthy ecconomy, there is a need for workers of all education levels. We already have too many people with college degrees. That is why college is so expensive; there is too much of an (unjustifiable) demand for it. When people start to realize they don't need a college degree for their intended line of work, colleges will have to start competing for students and they will lower tuition.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:30 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He never said education would be free. You need to start with a factual position to create a valid argument.
I agree; one does need to start from a factual position. Why didn't you?

Bernie Sanders on Education
Bernie believes that no student who is willing and able to go to college should be denied based on the income of their parents. The S. 1373: College for All Act, which he introduced, would make all public colleges and universities tuition-free. In an editorial for the Huffington Post, he asks: “Why do we accept a situation where hundreds of thousands of qualified people are unable to go to college because their families don’t have enough money?”

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections