Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 12:23 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
No, he wants to stop them because his inept campaign...
LOL inept? Nope He took down JEB, Rubio, and 14 others.

What's left, can only win delegates by exploiting obscure rules that have never been exploited as they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 12:25 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Default Ah, yes, the indictment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Frankly it seems like the outcome of the presidential race is already pretty much determined. Republicans are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they allow Trump to be the nominee many conservatives won't vote for him, and he'll scare democrats to the polls in droves, and he could get curbstomped by Hillary in possibly the biggest dem victory since the 60s. That could pose a huge problem for many Republicans downticket. There are entire states where they could be wiped out. But if they try to replace Trump with someone more electable they'll be disenfranchising millions of voters, and it will be toxic for whoever the party nominates. Cruz would be a competent candidate at least, but he'll lose the swing voters to Hillary. Even someone who would have good odds against Hillary if they'd won fair and square like Romney or Ryan or Kasich would have a large percentage of voters protesting the RNC's choice and they too would likely lose because of it.

Basically their only hope at winning* is an indictment during the general election season, which is why Obama is rushing the investigation along as quickly as possible to prevent that. The dems will try to make sure if Clinton has any legal troubles that pose a problem for her electability they are found before the convention, so that if it happens they can wash their hands and nominate Sanders. I'd put 75% odds on there being no indictment and Clinton being the next president though.

This used to happen more often in the past, where one party just failed to field a competitive candidate in some years. It looks like that could happen this year.

*Edit - Ah, there is one other possibility. If Sanders were to come back from long odds and win a pledged delegate majority in the democratic primary and the DNC shut him down with the superdelegates. That could lead to a very bizarre unique situation where both parties rejected the winner of their primaries in the same year. It could throw the general election into utter chaos.
I'm thinking irrational people have been hanging on to that one ever since a Democrat beat George Bush the elder. That wasn't "supposed" to happen, so all Democrats have been illegitimate since then.
Might be time to look at your guys' ideas and pronouncements, for why they are unlikely to win. People expect more from their government than "life sucks (if you aren't rich) and then you die."

Old 04-11-2016, 01:07 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Trump won 57.8% of counties, Cruz on 42.%.

Cruz gets delegates.

Colorado: Douglas County GOP Removes Delegate who Voted for Donald Trump - Dr. Rich Swier

So GOP's crooked politicians are now resorting to stealing delegates to thwart will of the people.
The delegates rules have been in place for 156 years. Just because Donald Trump has the most delegates does not mean he has a majority of delegates. The rules matter.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:32 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
The delegates rules have been in place for 156 years. Just because Donald Trump has the most delegates does not mean he has a majority of delegates. The rules matter.
Jordan Spieth led The Masters golf tournament this weekend from wire to wire, for 65 consecutive holes, most of the time by what appeared to be a pretty safe margin. On the 66th hole, he made a quadruple bogey on a par 3 and fell behind, never to recover. Here is a link to the story from ESPN:

Jordan Spieth's collapse at the Masters the most shocking in golf history

According to the rules of professional golf, the winner of the tournament is the player with the lowest score at the end of 72 holes (4 rounds over 4 days of 18 holes each). As result, the winner of this year's masters was Danny Willett and not Jordan Spieth, even though Spieth led the contest comfortably until pretty close to the end.

No doubt if Mr. Trump had suffered Jordan Spieth's fate in The Masters (which he increasingly does appear to be poised to replicate in the Republican nominating contest), both Trump and his supporters would be today sniveling like spoiled children, crying "not fair" and the like, and there would be somewhat of a controversy today, not so much about the outcome of the tournament, but about Trump and his supporters remarkably selfish and immature reaction to it.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It got voted down last year - because the state pays for primaries but the parties pay for caucuses. Supposedly they are going to try again, but whether that really happens, who knows.

There is a separate movement to try to change to let Independents participate. That one, I disagree with. I think that members of a party should be the ones who get to decide their candidates and their platform.
The argument for switching to a caucus system was cost, but now that we have mail-in elections here in Boulder County anyway, the cost is much less.

I'd like to let Indies participate. I lived in Illinois and you didn't even register with a party. If you went to the primary they asked you which ballot you wanted. I liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not sure of the status, but there does seem to be bi-partisan support to restore the primary system in time for the 2020 election season.
Of course, there will all sorts of debates about how to pay for it, but I'm thinking it has a better chance of becoming reality after this year.

GOP & Dems agree: restore the Presidential Primary to Colorado - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo
Yes, as I said above, I think mail-in elections have lowered the cost quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I like how they do it in Colorado in the sense that the parties should just decide who they want to run. No primaries, just get together at the convention and settle on the candidate to represent your platform.
Not exactly.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:19 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL inept? Nope He took down JEB, Rubio, and 14 others.

What's left, can only win delegates by exploiting obscure rules that have never been exploited as they are now.
If the rules are so "obscure" how come everyone but Trump knows what they are. Typical Trump-bama speak. Blame anyone but Trump.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Any vote for Cruz is a vote for an unelected president. Anyone who votes for him should be completely ashamed. Since when did you need 100% of the votes to get voted in? A little hard to tell how many votes Trump would have got when the running establishment is willing to do anything and everything including straight up not let people vote.
I'm sorry, but this kind of delusional? Trump has NEVER gotten over 50% of the vote in ANY state. He is not ENTITLED to the Presidency because he participated. I'm only ashamed that I can't vote for Cruz twice!

Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but this kind of delusional? Trump has NEVER gotten over 50% of the vote in ANY state. He is not ENTITLED to the Presidency because he participated. I'm only ashamed that I can't vote for Cruz twice!
He'll probably get over 50% in NY. If he can do that there and in another state he'll finally put that threshold behind him and be can spin it into momentum going into California.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
He'll probably get over 50% in NY. If he can do that there and in another state he'll finally put that threshold behind him and be can spin it into momentum going into California.
He will have to spin it, because he has yet to commit to attending the CA GOP convention and his poll numbers are dipping quite a bit. CA delegates are also proportionate and location based. Trump has a weak ground game in CA. Saw one of Trump's supporters on TV even saying that Trump is not giving CA the love he should be.

Of course, it can't be Trump's fault when Cruz garners more CA delegates than Trump in June.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:36 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
He will have to spin it, because he has yet to commit to attending the CA GOP convention and his poll numbers are dipping quite a bit. CA delegates are also proportionate and location based. Trump has a weak ground game in CA. Saw one of Trump's supporters on TV even saying that Trump is not giving CA the love he should be.

Of course, it can't be Trump's fault when Cruz garners more CA delegates than Trump in June.
The sniveling and whining will reach yet a higher octave should that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections