Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 08:35 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The Libertarians only have 5 states where they even bother to hold primaries or voting at all. Their candidate is chosen by convention delegates also, not the vote. Where is the outrage over their selection process?
My point exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:37 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
I'm not in favor of this particular way of choosing delegates, but I don't live in Colorado, so I have no business saying they should change their system. The Colorado Republican Party set this way of doing delegates up long before this election cycle.

Trump ignoring how it works, and then blasting the world with whiny tweets and during speeches after the fact, without having done anything to prevent all the delegates going to another candidate... is just... whining. Loud, pain in the butt, whining.

If you don't agree with it, and live in Colorado, go out and become active in the party and work to get it changed. Pretty much everyone who is an 'elite' in the party started out that way, and paid their dues to get where they are, but I'm sure newcomers who are willing to work towards change are welcome.

If you don't live in Colorado, you just don't get a say in how they do business. Bummer, but a fact of life.

This isn't about Colorado. What's happened in Colorado has impacted every American in our country. Nobody in Colorado was allowed to vote! Do you not understand that?

Most Americans are confused by what's happening. It impossible for anybody with a real life to know about and understand the archaic underhanded traps used by the GOP to push upon us a presidential candidate the GOP wants, and to force out a candidate the American people want.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:42 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
This isn't about Colorado. What's happened in Colorado has impacted every American in our country. Nobody in Colorado was allowed to vote! Do you not understand that?

Most Americans are confused by what's happening. It impossible for anybody with a real life to know about and understand the archaic underhanded traps used by the GOP to push upon us a presidential candidate the GOP wants, and to force out a candidate the American people want.
No one in any caucus state is "allowed to vote" because caucuses are not primaries. At caucuses, you select delegates who go to state conventions (sometimes there are multiple layers, so you might select county delegates who then go through another convention, etc). You do not vote for a candidate.

If you want to rail against allowing any caucuses, have at it, I am not too thrilled with the caucus process in general. But it's been considered a valid process to select a state's delegates in many states for decades, maybe even centuries. Just because Trump didn't or couldn't figure out how it works doesn't change that.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:49 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
My comments are in bold in the quote below.

Quote:
This isn't about Colorado. What's happened in Colorado has impacted every American in our country. How? Nobody in Colorado was allowed to vote! Do you not understand that? Then Colorado Republicans should change their rules.

Most Americans are confused by what's happening.Sadly, this is probably true. It impossible for anybody with a real life to know about and understand the archaic underhanded traps used by the GOP No it's not. It's called a Civics class. Or just reading. to push upon us a presidential candidate the GOP wants,A party can nominate any candidate it wants, using whatever rules it chooses. and to force out a candidate a vocal minority of the American people want but the party itself does not. As is their right..
Now don't get me wrong, I think the Colorado GOP shouldn't do it this way, but it's their right to do so.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:49 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
It's a party primary. Colorado's primary rules only affect that party's primary voters. No one else. You don't have a constitutional right to vote in a primary, anymore than you have the constitutional right to vote at a Kiwanis meeting, and for the same reason - a political party is a private organization.

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of party activists are volunteers, they do indeed have real lives away from the party. They think electoral politics is important, so they make the time to be actively involved whether there is an imminent primary or general election or not. You are obviously not one of those people.

If you were involved on an ongoing basis, you might like the outcome better. Just sayin'.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Yes, you are. It costs money to run for office, even at the lowest level. That money has to come from somewhere.

Again, we are not a democracy, by the design established in the constitution we are a democratic republic.
1. Your first sentence could read "It costs money to buy an office" and mean exactly the same thing.
<I have always wondered why someone in a Capitalist society would buy a public office without expecting a good return on his money? My answer is always the same: HE WOULDN'T!>
2. Yes, I know we are not in a democracy and I wish politicians would stop yammering about how we ARE.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Default Krauthammer: “If you can’t handle the Colorado delegate selection process, how are you going to handle the Chinese?”

He has a valid point.
So Trumpie is all over the webz whining about losing the Colorado delegates, but, as Krauthammer also rightly points out, everyone had the rules for quite a while.

Orange man continues to show why he is emotionally and intellectually unqualified for the presidency.

"But, he noted, when Trump won 47 percent of the votes in Florida and received 100 percent of the state’s delegates, “I didn’t hear anybody [in his campaign] complaining about unfairness. The fact is, we have a complicated legacy system — a century ago, party bosses chose the delegates, and since 1968, each state has done it a different way.”"

“If you can’t handle the Colorado delegate process, how are you going to handle the Chinese?” Charles Krauthammer unloads on Trump - Salon.com

Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
I agree with Krauthammer about once every decade.

This is that time for this decade.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:02 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You do realize I'm not the one objecting right?
that's weird, I wasn't trying to quote you. Same thing happened on another thread in a different subforum, must be a CD hiccup.

But in any case, please ignore that I quoted you, I don't even remember which post I was trying to specifically respond to so I deleted the quote. The general principle remains as a response to many of the posts on this thread. The method selected by the state party is unusual but they had their reasons and it was approved by the national party. And no ever gets to "vote" in a Colorado caucus anyway.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
If he, of all people, thought there was something wrong with it, he was in a position to do something about it but chose not to. Don't tell me he didn't know, he is part of the party elite in that state. Where was his outcry back when this got proposed and then again when it got passed? That's right, not a peep. What a load of crap.
For me it's not about him. It's about bringing down the party insiders. They seem perfectly content to destroy themselves. There are now a large group of GOP voters that will not be voting GOP come November.

There is a large number of (D)'s that will not vote for Hillary also.

Makes me happy in the end even if the insiders see this as winning a battle. They are losing the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections