Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Cruz is not only a snake but he doesn't know when he is being used......the same thing the establishment is doing to Trump they will do to Cruz at the convention after the 2nd ballot.
There is no way the GOP allows Cruz the nomination in a contested contest. He has to know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Indeed. And we will never know because the political elite have decide the rest of us don't get a say. I can't imagine why people continue to argue in favor of such a system.
I'm not in favor of this particular way of choosing delegates, but I don't live in Colorado, so I have no business saying they should change their system. The Colorado Republican Party set this way of doing delegates up long before this election cycle.

Trump ignoring how it works, and then blasting the world with whiny tweets and during speeches after the fact, without having done anything to prevent all the delegates going to another candidate... is just... whining. Loud, pain in the butt, whining.

If you don't agree with it, and live in Colorado, go out and become active in the party and work to get it changed. Pretty much everyone who is an 'elite' in the party started out that way, and paid their dues to get where they are, but I'm sure newcomers who are willing to work towards change are welcome.

If you don't live in Colorado, you just don't get a say in how they do business. Bummer, but a fact of life.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:01 AM

4,509 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
If you don't agree with it, and live in Colorado, go out and become active in the party and work to get it changed. Pretty much everyone who is an 'elite' in the party started out that way, and paid their dues to get where they are, but I'm sure newcomers who are willing to work towards change are welcome.

If you don't live in Colorado, you just don't get a say in how they do business. Bummer, but a fact of life.
I live in the USA and I say delegates that weren't voted for DON'T ****ING COUNT! All of colorado's delegates should be removed. They didn't want to take a vote because Trump would have won? Then just bow out of the process.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
stop the b.s. if this would have happened to Cruz, Bernie Sanders and even Hillary Clinton, they would be saying the same thing, the system is "rigged"

Bernie beat Hillary in Wyoming by 12% but Hillary got more delegates.........is Bernie a spoiled , petulant child for saying the obvious?

Even Michael Savage said : Cruz should renounce Colorado "rigged election"

Michael Savage to Cruz: Renounce Colorado ‘rigged election’
"Even Micheal Savage"?!?!? Give me a break, Savage might as well be part of Trump's campaign staff. He is very much part of all that free media Trump has received and from him it has been nothing but pro-Trump. Savage supposedly was giving callers a chance to discuss why or why not they agreed with him that Cruz should give back the delegates, while I was listening to his show on my drive home yesterday, and every single time someone said Cruz shouldn't, he yelled at them then hung up on them. It was pretty funny listening to him get madder and madder, accuse whoever disagreed with him of not being a true constitutionalist or conservative, and he finally cut the segment short and blathered about how stupid people were.

This is nothing new. Nothing. The information about Colorado's changes were given to all the candidates at the same time. I read about it back then and IIRC there was a discussion about it on one of threads in this forum, although it wasn't the topic. People are forgetting that the intent when they changed it was to shut out BOTH Trump and Cruz, which is why it came up IIRC. Trump said or did nothing with that information, Cruz sent people out to try and beat the Colorado GOP at their own game - back in October. The people on an anonymous forum should not be more knowledgable about the nomination process than someone running for the office. Would you hire a person for a management position, who you gave a mannuel about the company to for them to read before their interview, who decided they didn't need to because they felt they just deserved the job? Or who didn't bother to come to your company location to interview, again because they just assumed you would hand it to them?

Trump just needs to quit whining, pull his big boy pants up, figure out the rules, and do the work.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:06 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I guess I am slightly surprised that she equates the primary rules used by a private political party (GOP, Democrats) with the electoral college that meets in their respective states in December following the November Presidential election.

I guess I will note that the electoral college (a 'compromise' solution reached by the Framers; you had those whom wished for the President to be chosen by Congress (presumed to be the 'intellect'), versus those who favored a popular vote by qualified citizens).

Technically, as I understand it, the Framers desired the Electoral college to be the 'last defense' against some undesirable person being elected president. The theory is that the 'electoral college' may ignore the popular vote, and vote as they wish.

Of course, many states (but not all by any means), being accorded the power by the Constitution to make their own rules concerning such, have laws mandating that those members of the electoral college from said State shall vote for the President (and VP) as chosen by the popular vote of said State. Yet, it is not a Constitutional obligation.

Indeed, 24 states (including Texas) has no law mandating that the electors from that State vote in accordance with the popular vote of their respective states (I am talking, of course, about the General Election in November). In theory, come November, the Republican nominee may 'win' the popular vote in Texas, but, come December, the Texas electoral college may ignore said outcome and vote for the Democratic nominee. Of course, very unlikely, but there it is.

Hence, if Mr. Trump were the Republican Party nominee, and he won the popular vote in Texas, the Texas electoral college may, if they wish, vote for the Democratic nominee (or, I guess even the Canadian Cruz).

Or, to coin the phrase, she's comparing apples to oranges. And showing her ignorance.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I live in the USA and I say delegates that weren't voted for DON'T ****ING COUNT! All of colorado's delegates should be removed. They didn't want to take a vote because Trump would have won? Then just bow out of the process.
I could be wrong........I thought that on first vote they don't count. This doesn't help Cruz in that regard, it simply stops Trump from getting any delegates.....On second vote, then they can vote......for whoever they want.

It won't be Cruz so Ted really won nothing if I have read this right.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:14 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
None of us has to vote for the GOP candidate forced upon us. If Trump is forced out by this sneaky GOP move, all of his supporters can write-in his name on the voting ballot.

My husband and I are considering a Trump-write-in vote. Neither of us like Cruz, but mostly because we don't like the manipulation tactics of the GOP. Cruz is a snake for playing along with it. When this current race is over, both of us will be dropping the republican party. It shames us.
That is an option that I wish more people took into consideration. If people don't like what the GOP did they do have options to make their feelings clear. I'm just tired of people confusing their right to vote for president with the selection process for a party to determine their nominee, which they don't have a right to vote for. Is it wise of the GOP to do it as they did in Colorado? Probably not and I wouldn't like it if I lived there, but I'd try to figure out how to fix it for future elections, not whine about it after the fact.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Colorado has used their method for longer than just this election cycle. It has nothing to do with trump, or cruz, or any other republican candidate who is running right now.

Why is that so hard to understand? And, why is it so hard to understand that unless you live in Colorado, how they decide on their delegates isn't up to you (in that I mean a generalized you, not you specifically) and, so, their delegates DO count.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:19 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
I'm not in favor of this particular way of choosing delegates, but I don't live in Colorado, so I have no business saying they should change their system. The Colorado Republican Party set this way of doing delegates up long before this election cycle.

Trump ignoring how it works, and then blasting the world with whiny tweets and during speeches after the fact, without having done anything to prevent all the delegates going to another candidate... is just... whining. Loud, pain in the butt, whining.

I do live in Colorado, and while I'm not a Republican, I think both parties need to switch to a primary. It's become too large of a process to be adequately and appropriately handled in the caucus format.

Having said that, yes, these rules were set in place many, many months ago. God help me that I'm defending Ted Cruz here, but his team was clearly able to read and understand the rules and make an effective plan to work within them to secure as many delegates as he could. Trump's team was in no way prevented from doing the same thing, they just didn't bother. Donald Trump is a spoiled brat who thinks that just because he says he wants something, he's automatically entitled to have it. It doesn't work that way in the real world and it sure as hell won't work if he's president.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:19 AM

4,509 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Why is that so hard to understand? And, why is it so hard to understand that unless you live in Colorado, how they decide on their delegates isn't up to you (in that I mean a generalized you, not you specifically) and, so, their delegates DO count.
I don't care if they count in colorado, they just don't get to count in the rest of the process. No delegates that weren't voted for should be leaving their states in the united states of america. If anyone has a problem with americans not putting up with this system then move to a dictatorship, there are lots of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections