Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:46 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times

Advertisements

So these pro-Trump veterans aren't bothered by Trump's belief that "success," such as building "great structures," is synonymous with "sacrifice," such as losing a son in a war?

<<Pressed by Stephanopoulos to name the sacrifices he’d made for his country, Trump said: “I think I've made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've had tremendous success. I think I've done a lot.”>>

Donald Trump to Father of Fallen Soldier: 'I

Combined with Trump's assertion that tortured POWs (John McCain) aren't heroes, I only can say that vets supporting Trump with public statements such as those linked in this thread are very disrespectful of their fellow veterans and their families.

The Clintons and Obama have never disrespected veterans, nor confused their success with the sacrifices of families that have suffered the burdens of battle.

These vets also ignore the fact that Kahn gave his speech only because of Trump's attacks on Muslims.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
US Marine And Navy Veteran Writes BLISTERING Open Letter To Khizr Khan: “Does it matter whether
Does it matter whether Mr. Trump has sacrificed “…nothing and no one?”…has Ms. Clinton “..sacrificed” for this nation? How about Mr. Obama? Your comment stating that Mr. Trump “…has sacrifice no one” is alarming.
I appreciate the entirety of the letter, but it was too much to re-post.

Chris Mark may not think that the Khan family sacrificed anything. But he is wrong. The loss of a son is a great sacrifice. That Captain Khan willingly made that sacrifice does not diminish the sacrifice he made, or the sacrifice that his family made.

And when Chris Mark ignores the context of Mr Khan's comment that Mr Trump hasn't made any sacrifices, a context where Mr Trump has called for a ban on Muslims entering this country, which he has modified to a ban on people entering this country from regions compromised by terrorism, and a context where Mr Trump has called on increased surveillance of all Muslims living in this country, when Chris Mark ignores these contexts, he does so deliberately, with the intent of pretending that Mr Khan should not focus on Trump.

Chris Mark may have written this missive before Trump fired back at the Khans, but in light of Trump's counter attack, the Khans statement about sacrifice becomes even more resonant. Trump's suggestions about the mother's silence has been eloquently rebutted. Trump's remarks about his own sacrifices (he worked hard to become a billionaire???---That's a sacrifice????) ring hollow.

While I've no doubt this controversy will blow over just like all of the controversies that have erupted around Trump, at some point the people who remain undecided in this election will be making a decision, and ignoring Trump's tweets will be an act of will.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:02 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty Pendergrass View Post
I'm a veteran, I find the letter repulsive.

If you want to support Trump, support him, that is your right, I don't understand it, and I don't want to...but don't dare proclaim that you speak for me and other vets when you attack a grieving parent of one of our own. Trump has never sacrificed, neither has Hillary or Obama. The difference is, you don't hear the last 2 claiming to have sacrificed anything (not in this election cycle at least). Regardless of who sacrificed what, to attack a grieving parent on EITHER side of the aisle is just lower than low. I've seen some sites calling this man a radical terrorist. For what?! Speaking against Trump? Are you serious?!

..and "they did it too" is a juvenile excuse. At some point you have to be willing to say "I won't stoop that low."

Oddly enough, for the party of "morality", that low just seems to get lower everyday.
I'm a veteran as well and he certainly speaks for me.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:04 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Original Source (love the comments):

Global Security, Privacy, & Risk Management Blog

7. LJS - August 1, 2016
I am also a veteran USMC and now retired Navy CPO. I have been spent my time in Afghanistan and other middle east countries. I find this letter divisive and hateful, It only shows you lack understanding and compassion for those that are not like you. It does not represent the freedom we fight for.

13. cher - August 1, 2016
WOW!! I wondered how the spin would be put on this to make trump the victim……just wow. He really could shoot someone in the middle of the street and you all would follow him blindly…..how sad.

15. Carol Casper - August 1, 2016
Dear Mr. Mark,
I appreciate your frustrations as a Republican and veteran who has served this country in the military. However your characterization of Democrats as a party of citizens who all hold American military service members in contempt is as insulting as it is flat out IGNORANT!
The Democrat party is the party of anarchy. They made that clear at their convention. They didn't want uniform police on the floor. Crooked Hillary herself is well known for her dislike of uniform officers. Police and military. She panders to American flag burners who raise the flag of other nations. She is a sssssss<

Old 08-01-2016, 09:08 AM

465 posts, read 256,801 times
Quote:
It is not a contest. Trump thinks it is a contest that he has to win. His answer should have been "I have sacrificed nothing compared to that of dead and disabled veterans and their families."

Trump says that the fear of VD was his personal Vietnam and because of his high school years at New York Military Academy ""I always felt like I was in the military".
I don't like him, but THIS response would have earned him much more respect.

Instead, now he looks even more petulant and idiotic, and his Trumpeteers are forced to come here and straddle the fine line between attacking a dead soldier's family, while still trying to assert their "patriotism" in order to support him.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:09 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Only a fool would think that Clinton and Obama have not sacrificed for and served their country. Years of public service in politics is serving one's country. Joining the military and/or fighting in a war is NOT the only way people make sacrifices for and serve their country. Hillary's record of public service spans three decades, Obama served two terms as president. If that is not serving one's country — and I don't care what political leanings you have — then I guess only soldiers serve their country.

And don't even talk about Clinton being self-serving in her role as First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State, amd now Democratic candidate for president. People generally don't join the military for selfless reasons. They join for the free education and guaranteed career for life, knowing that they may be called to serve if the country goes to war. And when they are discharged, they are pretty much guaranteed jobs in private security, or in law enforcement, if they don't go on to have life-long careers in the military and retire at 50. Everything everyone does is self-interested and self-serving, including soldiers. The fact that politicians gain from their positions as elected officials does not diminish their service to the country, which would cease to exist without their hard work.

Look at the constant abuse, criticism, scrutiny, and pressure politicians deal with trying to contribute to the functioning of a democratic society. They work demanding jobs and rarely get any credit for their accomplishments, but do face the wrath of millioms if they make a mistake. They give up any sort of private life, and have to meet unrealistic expectations that no one else is expected to. If this is not sacrifice for one's country, nothing is.

Last edited by TOkidd; 08-01-2016 at 09:19 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 09:09 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
It is not a contest. Trump thinks it is a contest that he has to win. His answer should have been "I have sacrificed nothing compared to that of dead and disabled veterans and their families."
If it's not a competition, why ask "What have YOU sacrificed" in the first place? That's a very antagonistic question.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:11 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I appreciate the entirety of the letter, but it was too much to re-post.

Chris Mark may not think that the Khan family sacrificed anything. But he is wrong. The loss of a son is a great sacrifice. That Captain Khan willingly made that sacrifice does not diminish the sacrifice he made, or the sacrifice that his family made.

And when Chris Mark ignores the context of Mr Khan's comment that Mr Trump hasn't made any sacrifices, a context where Mr Trump has called for a ban on Muslims entering this country, which he has modified to a ban on people entering this country from regions compromised by terrorism, and a context where Mr Trump has called on increased surveillance of all Muslims living in this country, when Chris Mark ignores these contexts, he does so deliberately, with the intent of pretending that Mr Khan should not focus on Trump.

Chris Mark may have written this missive before Trump fired back at the Khans, but in light of Trump's counter attack, the Khans statement about sacrifice becomes even more resonant. Trump's suggestions about the mother's silence has been eloquently rebutted. Trump's remarks about his own sacrifices (he worked hard to become a billionaire???---That's a sacrifice????) ring hollow.

While I've no doubt this controversy will blow over just like all of the controversies that have erupted around Trump, at some point the people who remain undecided in this election will be making a decision, and ignoring Trump's tweets will be an act of will.
Trump's response was unnecessary, however Mr. Kahn has sacrificed NOTHING.

The loss of a son is a great TRAGEDY. NOT a SACRIFICE.

The word sacrifice means you WILLINGLY gave something. This is NOT the case here. AT ALL.

Mr Khan's SON absolutely sacrificed his very life for his country.
THAT is the ONLY sacrifice in this whole discussion.

What happened was TRAGIC and certainly my condolences go out tho the family, but they have no right to claim THEY made a sacrifice. That is absurd.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If it's not a competition, why ask "What have YOU sacrificed" in the first place? That's a very antagonistic question.

EXACTLY.

Mr. Kahn asked the question then people get mad because Trump answered the question.

He should have ignored the dude who would have been forgotten in short order.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
It's not a "who sacrificed more" contest.

The issue is that Trump cannot keep his mouth shut. He was irritated by what Mr. Khan said and could not keep himself quiet about it. It's his lack of self-control and his petty but insatiable need to have the last word, no matter the circumstances, that are repulsive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections