Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 10:21 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

This thread is about the open letter, why not talking about that?

In the open letter, this Marine said

I am troubled that you would allow a party that has little more than contempt for the US Service Member to parade you into the DNC to denounce Donald Trump. Did you watch when protesters at the DNC booed and heckled Medal of Honor recipient Capt. Florent Groberg? Did you notice your party interrupting the moment of silence for slain police officers? Your own hypocrisy in not denouncing these acts and instead using the DNC as a platform to make a political point is disgraceful. The simple fact is that whether one served or sacrificed does not give greater power to their statements.

As you continue to make the media circuit and bask in the glow of affection cast upon you by a party that has little regard for your son’s own sacrifice, and veterans in general, I would ask you to consider your comments and your position more closely.

I agree with the bolded 100%

I understand the pain of Benghazi mom and Mr, and Mr. Khan. But both have been used by political parties, and it is truly sad.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:21 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What did he mean? It sounded like he was saying that he willingly made the decision for his son to die so others could live -- that is a sacrifice. However, Kahn's son is the one that made the decision to sacrifice -- therefore, an intagonistic question like "WHAT DID YOU SACRIFICE" was uncalled for.
I can't believe I'm explaining this.

You may have missed the fact that Trump has said things like he's going to ban Muslims from entering the country, that he would consider having them register for a government data base, or carry some sort of ID card and that he would support warrantless searches on mosques.

Mr. Khan, a Muslim whose son died in the U.S. military in by all accounts a heroic fashion, was making the point at the DNC that not all Muslims are terrorists and that most Muslims in the U.S. are loyal to the country and present no threat. The Khan's loyalty was manifested in the loss of their son. He was making the point that they gave their son to the U.S. and he died in the ultimate sacrifice. He also pointed out that the military members buried at Arlington National Cemetery represent all races, religions, etc. Then he pointed out that Trump had not been willing to make a similar sacrifice. I presume he was talking about the fact that neither Trump nor anyone in his family has served in the military, or in public service in any way. That's what I took from it. Again, he was making the point that Muslims are loyal to the U.S. and have proved it by military service. They should not be singled out by the government for surveillance or Naziesque identification strategies.

At the first opportunity Trump lashed out at the Khans. He compared his "sacrifice" of being a successful businessman to sacrificing one's life for his country. That was just a stupid thing to say. All Trump needed to do was either (1) Be quiet; or (2) Say "I appreciate the sacrifice made by the Khans and their brave son. Still, we do need to be concerned about radical Muslim extremists." And the entire thing would have gone away.

But in true Trump fashion, he has doubled down and accused the Khans of viciously attacking him, said Mr. Khan "had no right" to say those things, etc.

Did you hear the things said about Hillary at the RNC? It was a non-stop vicious critique blaming her for every ill in the world. She has not responded to any of it and why should she? That's what happens at a political convention and the speakers have a 1st amendment right to say whatever they want.

All of this raises the question of how Trump would act if he were president. He will be criticized, belittled, attacked and antagonized every moment of every day both by people here and all over the world. Just ask the Obamas. How is Trump going to respond to all of that? That is the issue. Is he going to spend all of his time tweeting, going on TV to defend himself, doubling down and upping the ante? If so, the entire world will hate him and he'll wear callouses on this thumbs when he should be leading the country through dangerous times. Will he crack down on free speech? He has said that he would. Will he sue people who slander him? He's done it before. Will he spend his time and resources exacting revenge against other politicians?

His reaction to Mr. Khan's comments is just one of many examples of how he is temperamentally unfit to be president. You can spend all day arguing about the definition of "sacrifice" but you're missing the point.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm a veteran as well and he certainly speaks for me.
I am not surprised. Thankfully, it isn't all vets.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I specified parents who lost their only son in military service. The pain is pervasive and life-altering, and they certainly, for good reason, believe that they've made a sacrifice on behalf of their country.

It says much about Trump supporters that they even would argue that the loss of a child in military service is not a sacrifice. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as Trump himself equates "sacrifice" with building "great structures," and Trump supporters evidently believe every bit of nonsense that spills out The Donald's mouth.

I have a question for all Trump supporters, whether vets or not, does the "ultimate sacrifice" only apply to the soldier who dies in service, and not extend to his loved ones???

That's is essentially the argument made by Trump supporters in this thread, and I will repeat -- it is a sick and disgusting argument.
Is the loss of a grandchild a sacrifice? What about the other way around - if a 15 yr old's grandfather dies as a police officer - did the 15 yr old make a sacrifice?

The Kahn's suffered a tragic loss.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:27 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I can't believe I'm explaining this.

You may have missed the fact that Trump has said things like he's going to ban Muslims from entering the country, that he would consider having them register for a government data base, or carry some sort of ID card and that he would support warrantless searches on mosques.

Mr. Khan, a Muslim whose son died in the U.S. military in by all accounts a heroic fashion, was making the point at the DNC that not all Muslims are terrorists and that most Muslims in the U.S. are loyal to the country and present no threat. The Khan's loyalty was manifested in the loss of their son. He was making the point that they gave their son to the U.S. and he died in the ultimate sacrifice. He also pointed out that the military members buried at Arlington National Cemetery represent all races, religions, etc. Then he pointed out that Trump had not been willing to make a similar sacrifice. I presume he was talking about the fact that neither Trump nor anyone in his family has served in the military, or in public service in any way. That's what I took from it. Again, he was making the point that Muslims are loyal to the U.S. and have proved it by military service. They should not be singled out by the government for surveillance or Naziesque identification strategies.

At the first opportunity Trump lashed out at the Khans. He compared his "sacrifice" of being a successful businessman to sacrificing one's life for his country. That was just a stupid thing to say. All Trump needed to do was either (1) Be quiet; or (2) Say "I appreciate the sacrifice made by the Khans and their brave son. Still, we do need to be concerned about radical Muslim extremists." And the entire thing would have gone away.

But in true Trump fashion, he has doubled down and accused the Khans of viciously attacking him, said Mr. Khan "had no right" to say those things, etc.

Did you hear the things said about Hillary at the RNC? It was a non-stop vicious critique blaming her for every ill in the world. She has not responded to any of it and why should she? That's what happens at a political convention and the speakers have a 1st amendment right to say whatever they want.

All of this raises the question of how Trump would act if he were president. He will be criticized, belittled, attacked and antagonized every moment of every day both by people here and all over the world. Just ask the Obamas. How is Trump going to respond to all of that? That is the issue. Is he going to spend all of his time tweeting, going on TV to defend himself, doubling down and upping the ante? If so, the entire world will hate him and he'll wear callouses on this thumbs when he should be leading the country through dangerous times. Will he crack down on free speech? He has said that he would. Will he sue people who slander him? He's done it before. Will he spend his time and resources exacting revenge against other politicians?

His reaction to Mr. Khan's comments is just one of many examples of how he is temperamentally unfit to be president. You can spend all day arguing about the definition of "sacrifice" but you're missing the point.
You wrote all this, but the fact still stands that the SON made the sacrifice. If the son could speak from beyond, HE would be in the position to ask "what have YOU sacrificed?".

Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
This is the stupidest Trump nontroversy yet.

The media just won't let the people focus on the actual issues.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
I think Mr. Khan's point is that there are patriotic Muslim Americans who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifices for this country. That ALL Muslim ban remark from Trump is uncalled for.

I would have to agree with that.

However, he doesn't have to ask Trump, what has he sacrificed. I have a brother who has been shot at. Does it count as some kind of sacrifice? Gee, let's not make military service as some kind of voodoo animal sacrifice ceremony, shall we?

Mr. Khan is angry, it is understandable. But he needs to understand that Hillary Clinton is no way the "healer". His son sacrificed for his fellow soldiers, for love, for survival, for brotherhood. NOT for politicians.

I think that is the OPEN LETTER is all about.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty Pendergrass View Post
Good for you. Vote Trump then.

As for me, I worked alongside White, Black, Hispanic, Muslim, Male and Female sailors. It took every single one of us to get the job done. God forbid one of us didn't make it home, the LAST thing I'd think to do is stand idly by while someone intimated that the sacrifice they(and their family) made wasn't significant because I opposed them politically.

Funny how Chris Stevens, Sean Smith, Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods get to be "4 brave Americans" who shall never be forgotten, because that narrative suits your political goals, but Humayun Khan is some guy who "knew what he was getting into" and his Dad should just be quiet, and blah, blah, blah.

Its just gross. When someone dies, so that you can sit at home and eat Cheetohs and fire people on reality TV, have enough respect to NEVER attack them or their family, REGARDLESS of where you stand politically. Is that too much to ask?
Who exactly turned this into a political situation? Did Donald Trump ask the family members of that solder to speak at a political convention? Did Donald Trump ask the family of that soldier to attack Donald Trump?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
The Kahns lost a son in the service of his nation. I respect the fact they feel they have sacrificed, because they did. Anyone who would say they didn't is either so hyper partisan or doesn't understand the word sacrifice.
A word that is used far to often is the word Hero.
Obama was called a hero because he ran for office and won. What heroic deeds did he do? None that I am aware of as it was all self serving.
I am a vet and I question when someone calls soldiers or vets heroes just because they served. Many are heroes but not all.
Not to sound cold but is it heroic to be blown up by an IED while riding in a humvee? It could be. On a rescue mission, under fire etc. That would be heroic.
Riding in a humvee shooting the bull on a normal routine patrol and hit an IED? Im saying that is about as heroic as a WWII soldier dying in a jeep after a german plane staffed them.
In both scenarios people sacrificed their lives while in the service of our nation, but did either do anything heroic. By heroic I mean above and beyond the call of duty. I mean deliberately sacrificed their life so that others could be saved? I don't believe so.
Trump was wrong for what he said. So are many who deny the sacrifice Kahns feel.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I am not surprised. Thankfully, it isn't all vets.
He speaks for a whole lot of us, I didn't even know about this "open letter" until it was forwarded to me by another veteran who also feels the same way. We know these people are being used by democrats as political pawns, this is nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections