Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 10:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Reasonable people do not criticize Gold Star families.

Trump continues to demonstrate an inability to control his emotions.

The Khan family's 15 minutes of fame would have come and gone if not for Trump's protracted outburst.

This and the lies ( another chronic misremembering ? ) about knowing Putin and his lack of awareness of the Russian invasion of the Ukraine, provided cover and took the spotlight off of Hillary / email lie ( another chronic misremembering ?)

One would think his campaign org is tired of defending Trump's impulsive reactions and bluff when he does not know the basics about foreign affairs. Guess Ukraine did not make the front front page of the National Enquirer.

In a country of 315 million people, we are left with Trump vs Clinton. It boggles the mind.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 AM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reasonable people do not criticize Gold Star families.

Trump continues to demonstrate an inability to control his emotions.

The Khan family's 15 minutes of fame would have come and gone if not for Trump's protracted outburst.

This and the lies ( another chronic misremembering ? ) about knowing Putin and his lack of awareness of the Russian invasion of the Ukraine, provided cover and took the spotlight off of Hillary / email lie ( another chronic misremembering ?)

One would think his campaign org is tired of defending Trump's impulsive reactions and bluff when he does not know the basics about foreign affairs. Guess Ukraine did not make the front front page of the National Enquirer.

In a country of 315 million people, we are left with Trump vs Clinton. It boggles the mind.
I can agree with that.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Mr Kahn is using his son for political gain. Kahn is an idiot.
it was just 2 weeks ago, the Democrats objected to using Benghazi victims for "political" gain..

now its ok..

Old 08-01-2016, 11:16 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What you may hear is "My family sacrificed to protect the laws of this country. My father died. I grew up without a father. We suffered financial hardship. My baby brother never got to know his father at all. I didn't get to pose for pictures with my dad when I graduated from high school. I didn't get to dance with my dad at the fathers-daughters dance. I didn't get to have my father walk me down the aisle at my wedding. My mother cried for months after we were notified. My brother and I didn't know how to comfort her. We had to move out of our house and move in with my grandparents because my mother didn't know any other way to manage everything."
So in a political setting would you say "I sacrificed my father...what have you [insert candidate] sacrificed?"?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:21 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So in a political setting would you say "I sacrificed my father...what have you [insert candidate] sacrificed?"?
You could say "My father, NAME, had dreams of being a.... " "But he put those dreams aside the day he sacrificed his life to save his fellow soldiers., what have you sacrificed"

Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,324,505 times
Default McCain adds latest salvo in GOP dismay over Trump clash with Khan family

Thank you John McCain

McCain adds latest salvo in GOP dismay over Trump clash with Khan family

Quote:
Donald Trump drew new criticism from his party Monday for criticizing the Muslim American parents of an U.S. Army soldier who was killed in Iraq. But the Republican presidential nominee refused to back down from his attacks, and a former aide argued that the soldier would still be alive if Trump were president at the time of his service.

The escalations, coming at the start of the general election campaign, were the latest in an exchange that is dominating the presidential race and has frayed Trump’s already delicate alliance with GOP leaders.
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a respected figure on national security issues in the GOP, issued a written statement strongly rebuking Trump.

“In recent days, Donald Trump disparaged a fallen soldier’s parents,” said McCain. “He has suggested that the likes of their son should not be allowed in the United States — to say nothing of entering its service. I cannot emphasize enough how deeply I disagree with Mr. Trump’s statement. I hope Americans understand that the remarks do not represent the views of our Republican Party, its officers, or candidates.”

Old 08-01-2016, 11:27 AM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
You could say "My father, NAME, had dreams of being a.... " "But he put those dreams aside the day he sacrificed his life to save his fellow soldiers., what have you sacrificed"
I wouldn't go there.

Military service members gave up some of their constitutional rights to uphold ours. They know the sacrifices involved. Captain Khan served, so Mr. Trump and the children, and 99% of us didn't have to. To me, that is the ultimate sacrifice. That is why military is so awesome, many simply will never understand the sacrifices they ALL make.

I think maybe Khan's words have been taken out of context. What he meant to say is patriot Muslim like his son have made sacrifices for this country too, so the ALL Muslim ban is uncalled for. It is a valid and powerful argument / statement. But If I were him, I would not ask others "what have you sacrificed?" Not really a fair question. They should stop participating in the political circus.

I hope one day, they can find the peace and love they have been searching for. Too much pain and anger. so sad.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Correct.

"...the day HE sacrificed his life to save..."

Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Default VFW rips Trump for "out of bounds" attack on Khan Family

The Republican nominee usually isn't criticized by the VFW. The Donald needs to stop digging himself into a bigger hole.

Quote:
“Election year or not, the VFW will not tolerate anyone berating a Gold Star family member for exercising his or her right of speech or expression,” said VFW leader Brian Duffy in a statement.
Quote:
"There are certain sacrosanct subjects that no amount of wordsmithing can repair once crossed” Duffy said in the statement. “Giving one’s life to nation is the greatest sacrifice, followed closely by all Gold Star families, who have a right to make their voices heard.”
VFW rips Trump's 'out-of-bounds' attack on Khan family - POLITICO

Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Trump opened his big mouth to insert his foot and now it's stuck in there. Regardless of what McCain said in the last line quoted by the OP, Trump DOES represent the Republican Party. They elevated him to their candidate, he is their standard bearing and spear carrier. The old party is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections