Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Like you, I've been distressed about the election result. But please, for goodness sake STHU. Stop whining about it. Stop protesting. Just stop it. Go on with your lives. Don't talk about it. Don't say anything. Just go on with your lives quietly.

My boyfriend and I are taking steps to protect ourselves ASAP. I suggest you guys do the same.

^seems like you're whining about something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:55 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,120,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
^seems like you're whining about something
How so? I'm telling other liberals to STHU and go on with their lives. How is this whining?

You've won. What more do you want?

Old 11-14-2016, 07:56 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,346,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Congratulations, you're dealing with being an adult very well.
Too soon to rep you again.

If only more folks like the OP would speed up the maturation process, our country would be much better off.

Arranging insurance, wills, healthcare plans, etc. vs marching in the streets and screaming. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 11-14-2016 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:07 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,814,052 times
Quote:
I've never said or believed that Trump will destroy the country.

That said, Trump's base supporters definitely are not gay-friendly.

About a couple weeks before the election, I was out at the construction site of one of my projects. I'm an engineer. I stood around and started talking with some of the guys. There was a concrete truck driver that was standing around waiting for his turn to pour the concrete into the superstructure of the bridge we were building. He said loud and proud "I'm against interracial relationships". Puzzled, I asked him why? He said too many complications and god never intended for the races to mix. Of course, he didn't know I was the boss.

My point is not too long ago such language was not tolerated. Now, all these bigots feel empowered by Trump.

It's not a coincidence that every racist group in the country came out to support Trump.

No, I don't believe Trump will destroy the country. But I do believe that the elements in our society and government who up to this point have been closeted bigots are now empowered by the Trump presidency to make their move.

But like I said, I accept the election result. I urge all liberals to STHU and accept it. Just lay low and do whatever they need to to protect themselves. Protesting does absolutely nothing to help the situation.
Obama supporters have not been cop friendly either and as retired law enforcement it makes me sick. Cops are not out shooting people willy nilly but to watch the news and listen to the president, who invites BLM to the WH, you would think so.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:10 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:

About a couple weeks before the election, I was out at the construction site of one of my projects. I'm an engineer. I stood around and started talking with some of the guys. There was a concrete truck driver that was standing around waiting for his turn to pour the concrete into the superstructure of the bridge we were building. He said loud and proud "I'm against interracial relationships". Puzzled, I asked him why? He said too many complications and god never intended for the races to mix. Of course, he didn't know I was the boss.

My point is not too long ago such language was not tolerated. Now, all these bigots feel empowered by Trump.

What language? He sounded pretty polite in expressing his opinion, even if it is not pc. He was not wrong that there can be complications with interracial relationships, usually with family. It has been accepted that minorities can speak about having their own spaces and dating and marrying within their own race.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:11 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
Quote:
Of course, he didn't know I was the boss.
so did you retaliate and fire him? Or be an adult and brush off his opinion because he was still doing the work he was paid to do?

I don't agree with the lay low part, they should accept it though. But why do anything to "hide"? if the other groups do not want to hide their feelings, no reason you should.

Wear a rainbow spandex to the construction site next time with boss written in large letters

I'm not against the protesting, I'm just confused by it. I still don't understand why they are protesting, they have no "goal". They aren't even protesting to impeach Trump or anything. They are just rioting. Nothing like the protests from civil rights days where they had a goal and the protests were to gain attention. These current protests are just what? A bunch of unhappy kids running wild. Hell, they could even protest to have a recount to waste time/money, but they don't even do that. They don't even want Trump to resign before Jan 20, they have already accepted that he will be president.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:11 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,346,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Obama supporters have not been cop friendly either and as retired law enforcement it makes me sick. Cops are not out shooting people willy nilly but to watch the news and listen to the president, who invites BLM to the WH, you would think so.
So true.

Cubs fans celebrated, but Chicago suffered 2016's deadliest weekend

Old 11-14-2016, 08:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,596,612 times
Quote:
I've never said or believed that Trump will destroy the country.

That said, Trump's base supporters definitely are not gay-friendly.

It's not a coincidence that every racist group in the country came out to support Trump.

No, I don't believe Trump will destroy the country. But I do believe that the elements in our society and government who up to this point have been closeted bigots are now empowered by the Trump presidency to make their move.

But like I said, I accept the election result. I urge all liberals to STHU and accept it. Just lay low and do whatever they need to to protect themselves. Protesting does absolutely nothing to help the situation.
I agree with you that the violent protests must stop, but that's because I abhor violence. I understand your feelings, and I respect you for doing what you need to do to feel safe. But everyone handles things in their own way, and I am not going to be silenced just because Trump won. If I disagree with what he, or any other political figure is doing, I am going to say so.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:20 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
Quote:
If I disagree with what he, or any other political figure is doing, I am going to say so.
which is why I don't get the protests... he hasn't actually "done" anything as president. What is there to protest over?

At this point, the only thing that the protesters would be protesting at would be how the electoral college worked like it was designed to. And that isn't an issue worth protesting to me. My candidate lost, but I'm glad that the electoral college worked and Trump winning as a result is something that I can accept without hard feelings. If I want to see "my issues" passed, I will campaign for it to get onto a ballot. That has nothing to do with who the president is.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:32 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 8 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,604,359 times
Quote:
Like you, I've been distressed about the election result. But please, for goodness sake STHU. Stop whining about it. Stop protesting. Just stop it. Go on with your lives. Don't talk about it. Don't say anything. Just go on with your lives quietly.

My boyfriend and I are taking steps to protect ourselves ASAP. I suggest you guys do the same.
Whining is usually shorthand for "Your grievances are trivial and don't deserve the slightest attention from mature, serious people like me". I will be the first to admit Trump actually won the election and on that basis deserves to be in the Oval Office come January 20. Still, this is not Mitt Romney, John McCain, or even George W. Bush we're talking about. None of those three pandered to basebrain prejudices against minorities and women, displayed a blatant incivility, and portrayed a style of machismo suggesting that if you're weak, sensitive, and "unmanly" then you're a "Loser" (True, he did not explicitly say that last one, true enough, but it is the implication behind the totality of his remarks).

So while he did win fair and square, he does need to note he will be under a microscope, especially given his remarks of a tone and content so blatantly disrespectful that I thought no half-way civilized person in half-way polite company could ever utter them openly, let alone a presidential candidate. These protests are putting him and his allies on notice: do not push policies or orders that attack basic human dignity, even if you did win the office fair and square!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
You realize Trump won the same way Obama did, through being a populist and holding large rallies

If Obama didn't destroy the country like the GOP feared, then Trump also won't destroy the country like liberals fear now

What do prepare for? You think Trump is going to go after you? The states that passed equal marriage laws will still have them. Trump can not "unmake" a law as president. He would have to enforce it.

For all the pro-choice/pro-gay marriage activists, how come they were more interested in voting on legalizing marijuana? At least the GOP activists got their same sex marriage/pro-life arguments onto a ballot.
When was the last ballot on legalizing any of the "liberal" issues? Because Obama helped it temporarily, you thought you were okay to stop working on it? Executive orders are not law, they are temporary measures.
Same as above. As for Trump vs Obama populism, there's populism and then there's blatantly hateful (or at least profoundly disrespectful) populism. If there's one thing I learned from reading history, it's to never underestimate the power of demagogues - from the 20th century's most famous ones to the mid 20th century South's racial segregationists to late 80s-early 90s Louisiana, when David Duke ran for office and stirred up a lot of preexisting prejudices to the forefront - and even won a state representative seat in suburban New Orleans (I remember that one, being in my early 20s and a Louisiana citizen and resident at the time - so add personal experience to my list of reasons to challenge demagogues). So yes, respect Trump's entry into the White House, but keep him on notice - you cross this line, we'll do everything we legally can to undermine your power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections