Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
We're an interracial gay couple. Benefits, property rights, financial rights, inheritance beneficiaries, insurance, wills, etc.

Added by edit.

Currently, he has a plan he got from the ACA exchanges. I'm bringing him onto my employer provided plan to protect him against possible changes and whatnot.

Both our families are anti-gay. We're taking steps to ensure that if something happens to one of us the family can't try to do stuff like take the house and life insurance.

We've begun looking for a new area to live in, one that is more secure for our future.

That kind of protection.

Like I said. Stop protesting and start quietly take steps to protect yourselves.
I am a product of interracial love. I am also a right winger.

I think you are doing the right thing. But I honestly don't believe Trump's presidency will change how most people view gay interracial couples.

like I said, I understand your concern and fear, but I think everything will go back to normal (for lack of a better word)

California is still a pretty safe place to live, even for conservatives like myself. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 08:57 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,203,495 times
Quote:
I've never said or believed that Trump will destroy the country.

That said, Trump's base supporters definitely are not gay-friendly.

About a couple weeks before the election, I was out at the construction site of one of my projects. I'm an engineer. I stood around and started talking with some of the guys. There was a concrete truck driver that was standing around waiting for his turn to pour the concrete into the superstructure of the bridge we were building. He said loud and proud "I'm against interracial relationships". Puzzled, I asked him why? He said too many complications and god never intended for the races to mix. Of course, he didn't know I was the boss.

My point is not too long ago such language was not tolerated. Now, all these bigots feel empowered by Trump.

It's not a coincidence that every racist group in the country came out to support Trump.

No, I don't believe Trump will destroy the country. But I do believe that the elements in our society and government who up to this point have been closeted bigots are now empowered by the Trump presidency to make their move.

But like I said, I accept the election result. I urge all liberals to STHU and accept it. Just lay low and do whatever they need to to protect themselves. Protesting does absolutely nothing to help the situation.
Can you quote anything said by Trump against interracial relationships ?

As far as bigots, they were around and stating their opinions long before Trump came along and would be saying the same thing had Hillary won. It appears that you work in the construction industry where you'll find more of a rough-and-tumble mentality than other occupations.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:02 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,848,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Definitely always take steps to protect yourself. However, I do not believe you will need to protect yourself from a Trump Presidency. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly surprised in a few years.
Can you give us a little hint, what the "surprise," will be? That we will survive this horrible next 4 years?? We have survived worse I guess; but in my lifetime I have never had to wake up to a man that hates half of humanity, as our president and Commander and Chief.

People probably have likes and dislikes about some other people that are not exactly like themselves, but at least they have the class and empathy to keep their dislikes private, not spew out ugliness to the world.

What a role model for our children, the future leaders. Humanity is a fragile thing, embrace it.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:02 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,371,151 times
Quote:
I've never said or believed that Trump will destroy the country.

That said, Trump's base supporters definitely are not gay-friendly.

About a couple weeks before the election, I was out at the construction site of one of my projects. I'm an engineer. I stood around and started talking with some of the guys. There was a concrete truck driver that was standing around waiting for his turn to pour the concrete into the superstructure of the bridge we were building. He said loud and proud "I'm against interracial relationships". Puzzled, I asked him why? He said too many complications and god never intended for the races to mix. Of course, he didn't know I was the boss.

My point is not too long ago such language was not tolerated. Now, all these bigots feel empowered by Trump.

It's not a coincidence that every racist group in the country came out to support Trump.

No, I don't believe Trump will destroy the country. But I do believe that the elements in our society and government who up to this point have been closeted bigots are now empowered by the Trump presidency to make their move.

But like I said, I accept the election result. I urge all liberals to STHU and accept it. Just lay low and do whatever they need to to protect themselves. Protesting does absolutely nothing to help the situation.
The bold is why Trump won. You are aware that there are people that can be conservative regarding defense, and the federal budget, but also also liberal with regards to social issues, right? The constant, unrelenting shouts from the left of "racist, Islamophobe, homophobe, etc." are why Trump won. There are a great many articles from liberal pundits following the results of this election explaining that very thing. You cannot rely on just shouting down half the electorate with accusations of racism/homophobia/etc. because you disagree with their party affiliation. Are there conservatives/Republicans that oppose marriage equality? Yes, there are. Are there just as many that support it? Yes, there are. Trump just announced yesterday he supports same sex marriage. I don't think you've got much to worry about.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:03 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,120,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so did you retaliate and fire him? Or be an adult and brush off his opinion because he was still doing the work he was paid to do?
Another guy who knew who I was came over and stopped him from saying anything else.

No, I didn't do anything.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:09 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,814,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
The bold is why Trump won. You are aware that there are people that can be conservative regarding defense, and the federal budget, but also also liberal with regards to social issues, right? The constant, unrelenting shouts from the left of "racist, Islamophobe, homophobe, etc." are why Trump won. There are a great many articles from liberal pundits following the results of this election explaining that very thing. You cannot rely on just shouting down half the electorate with accusations of racism/homophobia/etc. because you disagree with their party affiliation. Are there conservatives/Republicans that oppose marriage equality? Yes, there are. Are there just as many that support it? Yes, there are. Trump just announced yesterday he supports same sex marriage. I don't think you've got much to worry about.
Yes. There are millions of Republicans who are actually more Libertarian in their views being socially more liberal but fiscally conservative. Being one myself, I vote Republican because I am much more concerned about national security and government's inability to spend the money we all give them wisely. I could not care less where you sleep or what color you are. Act like an decent human being and take personal responsibility is all I ask.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:10 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,595,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't quite understand the point you are trying to make. It is kind of difficult to answer your question when you only bold one sentence of my entire post.
*sigh*

Seriously?

You said in order for a Supreme Court decision to be overturned, it would have to be presented to the Court again. I said there are plenty of people who would be happy to pursue making that happen.

Did anyone else have trouble understanding this? Just wondering...

Old 11-14-2016, 09:10 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,145,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Definitely always take steps to protect yourself. However, I do not believe you will need to protect yourself from a Trump Presidency. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly surprised in a few years.
Pleasantly surprised that a misogynistic sexual predator, birther conspiracy theorist, fraud, climate change denier, already entrenched with lobbyists and banksters swindler will not have the power to take the USA totally azz-backwards or completely destroy it? Okay...that would be a pleasant surprise indeed.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
*sigh*

Seriously?

You said in order for a Supreme Court decision to be overturned, it would have to be presented to the Court again. I said there are plenty of people who would be happy to pursue making that happen.

Did anyone else have trouble understanding this? Just wondering...
No and I don't have any trouble understanding why people would want to overturn Roe v Wade.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Freestein View Post
No

And it's not just gay marriage and abortion. The environment is at stake too. Scalia and Thomas have always voted in favor of big corporations. They don't care if species disappear if the air gets polluted, if national parks get destroyed, or if people drink water full of heavy metals.
What's hysterical is that liberals want open borders but are concerned about preserving the environment ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections