Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:52 AM

13,664 posts, read 9,733,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Freestein View Post
We already have and many more are in the process of doing so.

The right to bear arms is not a conservative right only. The constitution up until now protect us all.
It may shock our more traditional conservative/Republican friends, but yes, there are plenty of liberal-leaning gun enthusiasts... including folks who cherish and collect AR-style rifles, who enjoy hunting and who are regulars at their local shooting-range. And there are plenty of us, who consider ourselves to be cosmopolitan and worldly and all that, who greeted with jubilation the recent Supreme Court decision uphelding in individual-centered interpretation of the second Amendment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Keep in mind that conservatives believe in INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM, as opposed to liberals, who support tyrannical state control.
Some conservatives do believe in individual freedom, and some liberals do believe in an intrusive nanny-state. Some.

But the liberal/conservative divide isn't over freedom or the size of government. It is over (1) group identity and (2) whether that government is distant or close. Liberals, by and large, hold tribal, local or even national identity in little regard; to conservatives, it is crucial. Liberals, by and large, prefer national and international government, to state and local government; conservatives prefer the reverse. As a semi-Republican (with liberal leanings), I am deeply skeptical of government... but I'm vastly more skeptical of local and state government, than I am of the federal government. I worry vastly more about local regulations and local intrusions in my personal space, than I do about the FBI or EPA etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 10:54 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,785,560 times
Quote:
This is not the place to speak against Trump. Neither Are the streets

Liberals and democrats need to wise up. Don't waste your time talking to these people. There are other boArds and forums on the internet.
That I agree with. Wonder when this board became such an unbearable echo chamber of right wing extremism.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:55 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,936,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so did you retaliate and fire him? Or be an adult and brush off his opinion because he was still doing the work he was paid to do?

I don't agree with the lay low part, they should accept it though. But why do anything to "hide"? if the other groups do not want to hide their feelings, no reason you should.

Wear a rainbow spandex to the construction site next time with boss written in large letters

I'm not against the protesting, I'm just confused by it. I still don't understand why they are protesting, they have no "goal". They aren't even protesting to impeach Trump or anything. They are just rioting. Nothing like the protests from civil rights days where they had a goal and the protests were to gain attention. These current protests are just what? A bunch of unhappy kids running wild. Hell, they could even protest to have a recount to waste time/money, but they don't even do that. They don't even want Trump to resign before Jan 20, they have already accepted that he will be president.
Actually I haven't seen much"rioting" but there has been a little violence. Most of these have been peaceful but noisy demonstrations. Which as your leader Trump said himself: "Love the fact that the small groups of protesters last night have passion for our great country. We will all come together and be proud!" When you look at how close this election was in terms of the popular vote, and how divisive and nasty the campaign was, I am not surprised to see people demonstrating.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:01 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,936,284 times
Quote:
This is not the place to speak against Trump. Neither Are the streets

Liberals and democrats need to wise up. Don't waste your time talking to these people. There are other boArds and forums on the internet.
Yes, that's my conclusion as well. The main thing we got out of the "discourse" here was to get a deep look into the dark mindset of the radical fringe. Speaking of other boards, did you see where Democratic Underground was hacked the night of the election? Haven't posted there for a long time but I found that revealing. Worth reading some of the comments on this temporary page they put up.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/503.php

Old 11-14-2016, 11:03 AM

712 posts, read 843,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Like you, I've been distressed about the election result. But please, for goodness sake STHU. Stop whining about it. Stop protesting. Just stop it. Go on with your lives. Don't talk about it. Don't say anything. Just go on with your lives quietly. My boyfriend and I are taking steps to protect ourselves ASAP. I suggest you guys do the same.
Quote:
We're an interracial gay couple. Benefits, property rights, financial rights, inheritance beneficiaries, insurance, wills, etc.
Added by edit.
Currently, he has a plan he got from the ACA exchanges. I'm bringing him onto my employer provided plan to protect him against possible changes and whatnot.
Both our families are anti-gay. We're taking steps to ensure that if something happens to one of us the family can't try to do stuff like take the house and life insurance.
We've begun looking for a new area to live in, one that is more secure for our future.
That kind of protection.
Like I said. Stop protesting and start quietly take steps to protect yourselves.
Finally, a liberal who is starting to understand PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!
Welcome to the conservative side . . . .

FYI - you are loved - and no-one on the conservative side want's to take anything away from you.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
We're an interracial gay couple.
Why worry. Trump said he loves the LTBTQ.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:17 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,203,495 times
Quote:
Great thread OP.

We may never come back to this board but it is good to hear some of us are waking up to our new reality.

We are still in this country. We are not going away. You might not hear much about us from now on but we will keep fighting behind the scenes.
Awesome ... just like right-wingers have been fighting the last 8.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:18 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:
Yes we know you love us as long as we know our place. Please make sure if you are gay you live in the shadows and don't you dare to ask for equal treatment. Marriage is between a man and a woman only.

Pay your taxes little loved one. Welcome back to the Era of taxation without representation.

So your main fear is losing the right to marry? I don't think that will happen, and a lot of conservatives are not against gay marriage.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a bunker. Make sure you pack heat when you go out, be careful with the things you say on the internet. Find ways to express yourself without being traced. Stay under the radar but continue to find ways to keep or recover those rights that will be lost with this administration.
Pack heat when you go out ?

Crikey ... another liberal with a Ouija board ...

Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Why not? If my state allows I can do it. I need to be prepared in case I become a Victim of a hate crime.

If anyone touches me I will fight back. Those who are going around beating up people will soon realize we are still here.
And what about you would people hate ?

You mean like the Hillary supporters beating on folks in the protests ...

And who is still here ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections