Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,714 times

Advertisements

Like you, I've been distressed about the election result. But please, for goodness sake STHU. Stop whining about it. Stop protesting. Just stop it. Go on with your lives. Don't talk about it. Don't say anything. Just go on with your lives quietly.

My boyfriend and I are taking steps to protect ourselves ASAP. I suggest you guys do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:14 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,206,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Like you, I've been distressed about the election result. But please, for goodness sake STHU. Stop whining about it. Stop protesting. Just stop it. Go on with your lives. Don't talk about it. Don't say anything. Just go on with your lives quietly.

My boyfriend and I are taking steps to protect ourselves ASAP. I suggest you guys do the same.
Protect yourself from what ? Are you building an underground shelter ?

Old 11-14-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Protect yourself from what ? Are you building an underground shelter ?
We're an interracial gay couple. Benefits, property rights, financial rights, inheritance beneficiaries, insurance, wills, etc.

Added by edit.

Currently, he has a plan he got from the ACA exchanges. I'm bringing him onto my employer provided plan to protect him against possible changes and whatnot.

Both our families are anti-gay. We're taking steps to ensure that if something happens to one of us the family can't try to do stuff like take the house and life insurance.

We've begun looking for a new area to live in, one that is more secure for our future.

That kind of protection.

Like I said. Stop protesting and start quietly take steps to protect yourselves.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:22 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,206,757 times
Quote:
We're an interracial gay couple. Benefits, property rights, financial rights, inheritance beneficiaries, insurance, wills, etc.
I don't think you have anything to worry about under the Trump admin.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:25 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,984,443 times
Definitely always take steps to protect yourself. However, I do not believe you will need to protect yourself from a Trump Presidency. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly surprised in a few years.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:26 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,054,311 times
Quote:
Congratulations, you're dealing with being an adult very well.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:28 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,559,990 times
You realize Trump won the same way Obama did, through being a populist and holding large rallies

If Obama didn't destroy the country like the GOP feared, then Trump also won't destroy the country like liberals fear now

What do prepare for? You think Trump is going to go after you? The states that passed equal marriage laws will still have them. Trump can not "unmake" a law as president. He would have to enforce it.

For all the pro-choice/pro-gay marriage activists, how come they were more interested in voting on legalizing marijuana? At least the GOP activists got their same sex marriage/pro-life arguments onto a ballot.
When was the last ballot on legalizing any of the "liberal" issues? Because Obama helped it temporarily, you thought you were okay to stop working on it? Executive orders are not law, they are temporary measures.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:44 AM

19,698 posts, read 12,275,135 times
If you are not married and do not have legal paperwork in place you do not have those protections anyway just like any unmarried couple. Your insurance is probably better than your partners ACA plan, so that may be better.

If Trump winning has the effect of making people more aware and conscientious that is not a bad thing.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:45 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,883,864 times
Quote:

Added by edit.

Currently, he has a plan he got from the ACA exchanges. I'm bringing him onto my employer provided plan to protect him against possible changes and whatnot.

Both our families are anti-gay. We're taking steps to ensure that if something happens to one of us the family can't try to do stuff like take the house and life insurance.

We've begun looking for a new area to live in, one that is more secure for our future.

That kind of protection.

Like I said. Stop protesting and start quietly take steps to protect yourselves.
You should have all that BEFORE the Trump administration... everyone should have some sort of estate planning done by now regardless of who is President... It distresses me to think you are using the word "protecting yourself" when really it is one of the basic things to do in life... I wouldn't confuse the two words... this is not protecting yourself, its sounds more like procrastination... and I am glad that Trump is forcing you to stop procrastinating...

Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
You realize Trump won the same way Obama did, through being a populist and holding large rallies

If Obama didn't destroy the country like the GOP feared, then Trump also won't destroy the country like liberals fear now

What do prepare for? You think Trump is going to go after you? The states that passed equal marriage laws will still have them. Trump can not "unmake" a law as president. He would have to enforce it.

For all the pro-choice/pro-gay marriage activists, how come they were more interested in voting on legalizing marijuana? At least the GOP activists got their same sex marriage/pro-life arguments onto a ballot.
When was the last ballot on legalizing any of the "liberal" issues? Because Obama helped it temporarily, you thought you were okay to stop working on it? Executive orders are not law, they are temporary measures.
I've never said or believed that Trump will destroy the country.

That said, Trump's base supporters definitely are not gay-friendly.

About a couple weeks before the election, I was out at the construction site of one of my projects. I'm an engineer. I stood around and started talking with some of the guys. There was a concrete truck driver that was standing around waiting for his turn to pour the concrete into the superstructure of the bridge we were building. He said loud and proud "I'm against interracial relationships". Puzzled, I asked him why? He said too many complications and god never intended for the races to mix. Of course, he didn't know I was the boss.

My point is not too long ago such language was not tolerated. Now, all these bigots feel empowered by Trump.

It's not a coincidence that every racist group in the country came out to support Trump.

No, I don't believe Trump will destroy the country. But I do believe that the elements in our society and government who up to this point have been closeted bigots are now empowered by the Trump presidency to make their move.

But like I said, I accept the election result. I urge all liberals to STHU and accept it. Just lay low and do whatever they need to to protect themselves. Protesting does absolutely nothing to help the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections