Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:59 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,285,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The only people maligning Buttigieg right now are Trump, who maligns everyone, and the supporters of Bernie or other Dem candidates--all of whom are worried about his growing popularity.

In Iowa, Buttigieg has pulled up even with Sanders and Warren. He's had the biggest jump of any of the candidates. When he speaks or holds a town hall, people listen and like him. He is simply a straight talker who doesn't worry about advisors, handlers or naysayers, and says what he believes. He is articulate, knowledgeable, intelligent and honest, and has plans to back up his ideas. No slogans, promises or BS--just policy, plans and how those plans can be accomplished.
^Exactly this. Buttigieg will absolutely kill once the debates start. Dude’s got it all, and he presents it in such a way that is refreshing as hell.

God, I need to see him debate Trump!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 04:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Actually, none of what you say disproves my point.

First of all, both of his parents made 6-figures each. In the state of Indiana, that places them in the top 1% of wealth.

Second, you don't learn how to speak 7 languages and learn how to play the piano as a child unless you're born into a family with a ton of money.

Third, no one without wealthy parents who attends Harvard leaves "without a lot of debt." That's just a fact (ask the Obamas).

So yeah, this narrative you're trying to peddle about him having a rough life ain't going to fly. Just admit you like Buttigieg because he makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside by saying all of the things with his big words that stroke your emotions, like everyone else who seems to be obsessed with him for whatever reason.
Buttigieg’s parents were both professors at University of Notre Dame in South Bend, IN. I read a while back that his dad was a linguist. Perhaps that explains Mayor Pete’s interest in learning languages.

So how do you know what their salaries were?

Many children without wealthy parents learn to play the piano. He was an only son.

Mayor Pete is a likable, smart, charming guy.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:56 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Mayor Pete is a likable, smart, charming guy.
Just saying that is better than making up some BS narrative about him having this rough upbringing or having to economically struggle in his life.

That being said, some of us have higher standards. Simply being "likeable, smart, charming" doesn't equate to being qualified for the office of the president, nor does it mean you're the type of leader we need at the present time.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Just saying that is better than making up some BS narrative about him having this rough upbringing or having to economically struggle in his life.

That being said, some of us have higher standards. Simply being "likeable, smart, charming" doesn't equate to being qualified for the office of the president, nor does it mean you're the type of leader we need at the present time.
I have listed Mayor Pete’s background on here many times. You can google him and answer your concerns. The fact that he can communicate with the American people is very important. Trump’s tweets are beyond ridiculous. Did you watch Mayor Pete’s town hall a couple of weeks ago? He gave excellent, well thought-out answers to the questions posed by the audience. He has a grasp of world and national concerns.

Do you think Trump was qualified to be President?? I question whether he really attended (or graduated from) Wharton, since he doesn’t even have a basic grasp of economics. He’s barely literate. Mayor Pete is a Harvard graduate and Rhodes Scholar. No new President, except possibly a Vice President, knows everything they need to know when they come into office. Their ability to select very good people to advise them is paramount. I can’t imagine Buttigieg choosing the feckless people that Trump chose for his cabinet. Buttigieg is smart enough to learn what he needs to know and to seek out help when needed. I’m looking for a President who can communicate with other world leaders and also the American people. Also, a leader who can work with the House and the Senate.

So what do you consider is the “type of leader we need at this time?” Tell me your standards. Trump has set such a low bar that it should be easy.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:

First of all, both of his parents made 6-figures each. In the state of Indiana, that places them in the top 1% of wealth.

Second, you don't learn how to speak 7 languages and learn how to play the piano as a child unless you're born into a family with a ton of money.

Third, no one without wealthy parents who attends Harvard leaves "without a lot of debt." That's just a fact (ask the Obamas).

So yeah, this narrative you're trying to peddle about him having a rough life ain't going to fly. Just admit you like Buttigieg because he makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside by saying all of the things with his big words that stroke your emotions, like everyone else who seems to be obsessed with him for whatever reason.

Re: the bolded

Nope, not a fact, it's actually ignorance. Like most of the other Ivy League schools, Harvard offers need blind admission, need based financial aid, and a no loan policy.

Families with incomes under 65,000 generally do not pay anything to attend Harvard. Families with incomes between 65,000 and 150,000 typically pay about 10% of their income.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissio.../affordability

Of course, getting into Harvard in the first place is the sticking point since almost 95% of those who apply don't get in. But still, it's a fact that most people now graduate Harvard without debt.

I have no idea of Buttigieg's family income at the time he went to Harvard and how much, if any financial aid he received. I was just correcting a completely incorrect claim about Harvard graduates and student loan debt.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,946 times
Quote:

I never suggested he had a rough life. Don't put words in my mouth. I simply said he didn't come from wealth. He came from upper middle class perhaps, but if they couldn't afford to even pay for his education they were hardly wealthy. Kids from wealthy families do not have student debt. I'm thinking you don't understand how moneyed families operate. Do you have a source that speaks to how much his parents made back when he was high school/college age? Regardless, I would add that a high income does not typically equate to wealth unless it has resulted in significant asset accumulation.

I would add that as expensive as Harvard is, wealthy families often start spending what Harvard costs when they send their kids to boarding schools in 9th grade (and sometimes earlier) such as can be found all over New England. When they get to Harvard, these families have already been paying out Harvard level tuitions for years.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins511 View Post
I just don't see how he fares with the black vote. If he doesn't get that vote, he won't win.

I still think Sanders is the best bet.
It’s early yet and Buttigieg is running a very smart campaign so far. He’s going to South Carolina this week, I think. He will figure out how to obtain the black vote.

Sanders is aggravating. Irritating voice and manner. Trump would make lots of fun of him. Mayor Pete was so good with rebutting the “Alfred E. Newman” Trump remark by saying he had never heard of him and it must be a generational thing. That he “had to google it.” This made Trump sound old and out-of-date.

He can deal just fine with Trump.

Black voters are just like everyone else. They want someone who can make their lives better. Just wait... Mayor Pete will figure it out.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Re: the bolded

Nope, not a fact, it's actually ignorance. Like most of the other Ivy League schools, Harvard offers need blind admission, need based financial aid, and a no loan policy.

Families with incomes under 65,000 generally do not pay anything to attend Harvard. Families with incomes between 65,000 and 150,000 typically pay about 10% of their income.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissio.../affordability

Of course, getting into Harvard in the first place is the sticking point since almost 95% of those who apply don't get in. But still, it's a fact that most people now graduate Harvard without debt.

I have no idea of Buttigieg's family income at the time he went to Harvard and how much, if any financial aid he received. I was just correcting a completely incorrect claim about Harvard graduates and student loan debt.
Nice try with your so-called "fact check," but it's misleading and completely out of context.

The program you refer to only applies to Harvard's undergraduate program. If a low-income student wants to go to graduate school, as Buttigieg did, they're on their own when it comes to paying for it.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I never suggested he had a rough life. Don't put words in my mouth. I simply said he didn't come from wealth. He came from upper middle class perhaps, but if they couldn't afford to even pay for his education they were hardly wealthy. Kids from wealthy families do not have student debt. I'm thinking you don't understand how moneyed families operate. Do you have a source that speaks to how much his parents made back when he was high school/college age? Regardless, I would add that a high income does not typically equate to wealth unless it has resulted in significant asset accumulation.

I would add that as expensive as Harvard is, wealthy families often start spending what Harvard costs when they send their kids to boarding schools in 9th grade (and sometimes earlier) such as can be found all over New England. When they get to Harvard, these families have already been paying out Harvard level tuitions for years.
The context of your post was clear, and it was wrong.

Tenure professors at Notre Dame make an average of $104K. With two tenure professors, that would be a combined household income of $210K, which in Indiana is considered the upper tier of income. The census defines household incomes in the upper tier as "rich."

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-middle-class/

To suggest Buttigieg is in touch with "ordinary people" compared to other "wealthy and privilege" politicians when he himself is from a wealthy and privilege background is simply illogical.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Nice try with your so-called "fact check," but it's misleading and completely out of context.

The program you refer to only applies to Harvard's undergraduate program. If a low-income student wants to go to graduate school, as Buttigieg did, they're on their own when it comes to paying for it.
Factually incorrect again. Buttigieg went to Harvard undergrad. His graduate school was Oxford University on a Rhodes scholarship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections