Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 09:10 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Who do you think elected the legislature?
And hopefully they will fire the legislature after this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 09:11 PM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So was Kansas, Roe has been around for 50 years but they needed to get this done in two months. Roe was supported by 60% of the population and that includes conservatives.
I find it hard to believe that this was a shock to the majority of people who live in Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Voters didn't decide because it wasn't on the ballot.
Of course they did. They elected the reps who voted on it.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
And hopefully they will fire the legislature after this.
How about we let the people of Indiana decide what they want?

Old 08-06-2022, 09:13 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Roe protected abortion rights even in states where GOP legislators wanted to ban it.

Any attempt to claim otherwise is a lie.

Now that the protection of Roe is gone, state legislators can either let voters decide directly, or can decide themselves. After Kansas, you can be sure GOP legislators will be afraid to let voters decide directly.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:15 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I find it hard to believe that this was a shock to the majority of people who live in Indiana.

Of course they did. They elected the reps who voted on it.
Put it on the ballot and I think the decision would be much like the decision in Kansas. No one wants government telling us what to do with our bodies.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:15 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,605,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Are you trying to say all the states did not abide by the Roe decision for all those years?
No, I'm saying they didn't abide by the actual law in place.

Again, Roe v Wade was a court case. Courts do not make laws, Congress makes laws. Do I need to tell you again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You know they did.
Don't tell me what I know

Old 08-06-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Put it on the ballot and I think the decision would be much like the decision in Kansas. No one wants government telling us what to do with our bodies.

And yet, I find it hysterical that people in this thread want to tell people in Indiana what they should be doing.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:18 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
No, I'm saying they didn't abide by the actual law in place.

Again, Roe v Wade was a court case. Courts do not make laws, Congress makes laws. Do I need to tell you again? Don't tell me what I know
Can't argue with a lack of logic. Good night.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:18 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Courts do not make laws
You're being obtuse.

Courts can say whether laws are constitutional or not. Roe vs Wade said banning abortion was unconstitutional. Thus, after Roe, states were forced to let abortion be legal.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:20 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Indiana showing it’s true colors, again.

Why not a referendum so the “voters” can decide.

What was the rush.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-abortion-law/
so what.... it's up to the state

and...

Quote:
The bill, which will go into effect Sept. 15, allows abortion only in cases of rape, incest, lethal fetal abnormality or when the procedure is necessary to prevent severe health risks or death.
so it allows most critical abortions

btw did you know the RvW made abortions not allowed after the second trimester...hmmm

Quote:

From the second trimester on, the Court ruled that evidence of increasing risks to the mother's health gave states a compelling interest that allowed them to enact medical regulations on abortion procedures so long as they were reasonable and "narrowly tailored" to protecting mothers' health.[7] At the end of the second trimester and from the beginning of the third trimester on—the point at which a fetus became viable under the medical technology available in the early 1970s (26 weeks)—the Court ruled that a state's interest in protecting prenatal life became so compelling that it could legally prohibit all abortions except where necessary to protect the mother's life or health.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections