Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 05:17 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
This is absolutely not true.
You're right. What IS true is that NONE of them... D or R are doing what they're paid to do. Every one of them that runs as an incumbent needs to be sent home to find a real job. Until that happens, nothing is going to change. Ever.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:57 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,057,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Let's just hope he can hold those points. The worst republicans are still better than the best democrats.
No way. I'll take a moderate/level-headed Democrat over most of the MAGA/Qanon/January 6 type Republicans any day. I miss the Republicans of old times, like Reagan and the Bushes, or John McCain. I also miss the Democrats of old times, unlike the "trio of terror" we have at the top (Biden, Harris, Pelosi) or Hillary Clinton (Bill was much better, more moderate and in many ways be considered conservative by today's standards).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
The main problem for Warnock is Abrams is toast, she may lose by 6-7 points which makes it a near impossibility for Warnock to win. People split tickets on a small scale, so basically if Abrams loses by 2.5 or more it’s likely Walker gets pushed over the line anyway
(This guy) will be voting a split ticket: Kemp and Warnock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
At this point I am just tired. Everybody who is still involved in politics seems hell-bent on crashing the country into the ground— and blaming the other side for it. When the lies start to outnumber the truths, it really makes me question what we're doing here in the first place.
Well said. That's the way it's been for about the past 15 years or so. That's why we've just been spiraling further downhill.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:39 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
It didn't used to be.... when there were moderate democrats. Now it's all about party votes no matter how leftist the idea is..........a one party system.... no matter which side it would be.... will be the downfall of this country.......
A one-party political system would be detrimental to the nation as are extremes on both sides. Neither is perfect, but let's be honest, in the past five years only one side has actively sought to undermine our democracy by supporting a failed insurrection, politicizing vaccines, stripping women's health rights, and constant efforts to suppress voting rights. I no longer recognize the GOP since the former guy came on the scene.

Old 09-24-2022, 01:59 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
I’m really tired of all this talk that we have to put down democrats to call out Republicans to seem neutral.

It’s not an equivalence with what we’ve experienced in the past decade

Politics should be more boring than it is. One side wants to do a a little more and one side a little less. If they flip offices back and forth and constantly get close to 50% of the vote, that’s actually a sign democracy is working.

The democrats fielded good candidates where some understandably don’t prefer their political choices. Most of the reasons people put them down are from extreme vilifications from the extreme right.

Joe Biden is a very centerist president and by all means all American guy, as was Hillary for that matter. They don’t take extreme positions, like large parts of the progressive wing would, but they want increased funding for things like trains/transportation health care etc… they’re left of center no doubt, but not extreme.

Barack Obama wasn’t extreme either, but faced a intense villification.

But on the other side there are some centrist right members, but they are mostly silent for party unification. Republicans always move in lock step opposition together as one. They prevent a Supreme Court nomination, just because they could, not because they were taking the process and the candidate seriously. They vilify and they’re attacking our election system to gain small advantages and Trump happened, which was really extreme and most are protecting him or being too quiet about what happened if they aren’t extreme themselves.

Democrats are not perfect, actually they argue amongst themselves constantly, but the inner arguments between democrats are often more healthy than what happens from the right towards the left these days.

But I’m absolutely tired of these false fluffy arguments where we just say we don’t like both sides and they are both to blame. No, there is one side that is behaving in extreme ways to advance their positions that could weaken our democracy and it’s gone too far. They are often not winning in debates of issues, but of a social movement of vilification that leads people to support behavior that has led to Trump getting away with all that he has.

None of this to say we shouldn’t be in the original premise that we should be in a position where half the country wants a party that wants a little more and the other half wants a little less and the public flips back and forth voting in leaders from each party. That’s perfectly normal, but what we’ve been experiencing behavior wise one side has Used to gain every slight advantage to game the system has gone too far and that blame is mostly squarely on one side.

The democrats aren’t universally taking extreme positions and protecting individuals exhibiting bad behavior in the way the Right has with Trump and this weird modern day race/religion based voting habits we see today.

We need to start saying this and acknowledging it more, rather than just playing the easy middle ground…. Oh it’s both sides…

Walker was a gimmick of a party my run amok trying to express loyalty of a president unwilling to cede power. It was an extreme poor choice. It’s not fair to those that simply wanted to vote for a little less, but the Right collectively put him there as their front runner and he is amazingly unqualified. They need to go back to running serious candidates, stop the villificationa, weakening of democracies, gaming rules to their advantage and simply win on the merits of their arguments. When democracy runs well one side loses half the time and wins half the time. They need to learn to take a loss with mout threatening democracy, changing election rules for advantages, and running gimmick candidates

Old 09-25-2022, 06:26 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
A one-party political system would be detrimental to the nation as are extremes on both sides. Neither is perfect, but let's be honest, in the past five years only one side has actively sought to undermine our democracy by supporting a failed insurrection, politicizing vaccines, stripping women's health rights, and constant efforts to suppress voting rights. I no longer recognize the GOP since the former guy came on the scene.

Neither is perfect, but let's be honest, in the past five years only one side has actively sought to spy on the incoming candidate, undermine our democracy by supporting a tyrannical government using the DOJ as its own police force all the while defunding the actual police, politicizing vaccines which it took credit for while not actually having developed them, stripping parents rights, all the while having a financial policy akin to a teenager with a billion dollar trust fund and daddies credit card.

Once again.... this is the best we got?

(And nobody is stripping women's health rights... it went back to the states.... what could be more democratic than sending it back to the people at a local level? And I say that as a WOMAN!)

Old 09-25-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Neither is perfect, but let's be honest, in the past five years only one side has actively sought to spy on the incoming candidate, undermine our democracy by supporting a tyrannical government using the DOJ as its own police force all the while defunding the actual police, politicizing vaccines which it took credit for while not actually having developed them, stripping parents rights, all the while having a financial policy akin to a teenager with a billion dollar trust fund and daddies credit card.

Once again.... this is the best we got?

(And nobody is stripping women's health rights... it went back to the states.... what could be more democratic than sending it back to the people at a local level? And I say that as a WOMAN!)
I'll ignore the myriad of other problems and blatant logical inconsistencies with this opinion, but I'm going to touch on your last point at how out of touch with basic logic it is.

"It isn't stripping women's health rights".... because 'it went back to the states.' Stop, and just think about this for a few seconds at how much it makes no sense at all.

All that says is the states are stripping women's health rights, instead of the federal government. Don't be so naive, that is just letting a smaller level of government strip away an individual's rights and choices and politicians did that on purpose, because they knew they couldn't enact it at the federal level right now.

This weird notion that the state's get to decide for an individual magically is granting people personal choice is wrong and tragically flawed and this is blatantly obvious to anyone who stop and think about what they're saying before they say it.

The state governments are government entities imposing their beliefs on women and preventing them from having a personal choice about their own body.

Also, democracy is a democracy at whatever level of government it is used. It is not more of a democracy at a local level, than it is at an upper level. It is only allowing smaller groups of people to impose their beleifs onto individuals and in this case they are choosing what an individual can or cannot do with their own bodies and stripping a woman's (an individual; not a group at any level) choice of what to do with her own body.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:59 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'll ignore the myriad of other problems and blatant logical inconsistencies with this opinion, but I'm going to touch on your last point at how out of touch with basic logic it is.

"It isn't stripping women's health rights".... because 'it went back to the states.' Stop, and just think about this for a few seconds at how much it makes no sense at all.

All that says is the states are stripping women's health rights, instead of the federal government. Don't be so naive, that is just letting a smaller level of government strip away an individual's rights and choices and politicians did that on purpose, because they knew they couldn't enact it at the federal level right now.

This weird notion that the state's get to decide for an individual magically is granting people personal choice is wrong and tragically flawed and this is blatantly obvious to anyone who stop and think about what they're saying before they say it.

The state governments are government entities imposing their beliefs on women and preventing them from having a personal choice about their own body.

Also, democracy is a democracy at whatever level of government it is used. It is not more of a democracy at a local level, than it is at an upper level. It is only allowing smaller groups of people to impose their beleifs onto individuals and in this case they are choosing what an individual can or cannot do with their own bodies and stripping a woman's (an individual; not a group at any level) choice of what to do with her own body.
Thank you for pointing out the obvious using rational, sane, logic. Well said.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:

So National abortion policy is okay but local isn't? When it comes to legislation which has the most dramatic impact on people? ..... local or national.... local of course. That is basic logic. The people in California vote pure blue.... therefore sending the abortion issue back to the state will have no significant impact to the people of Georgia. The local people will have spoken. You can still go to California, get your up till birth abortion, nobody is going to GPS track you and throw you in jail for doing so. Same here in Georgia. I don't believe GA will outlaw abortion. I do think (and hope upon hope) that some reasonable legislation is passed which does away with 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions unless the mother is in jeopardy. And no, I'm not talking about tubal pregnancy, routine DnC after miscarriage, and all the other life-saving procedures that must continue. See.... this is where the left goes off the rails..... We're not all heart-less people who cannot feel, but we also can see through the blatant propaganda when the media and the left try to gaslight us into thinking that the worst case scenarios to "take away" rights is a foregone conclusion just to push your narrative. The left's use of abortion as nothing more than a convenient birth control method does nothing but harm your argument. We on the right were okay when it was legal, safe and rare......but ya'll just had to push it......... many of us said a long time ago.... we gave you a slippery slope, but when you (not you personally of course) decide to push one of these days that push to the left would be too far. Unfortunately for ALL OF US..... that push has come to pass....

Look at the issues we are fighting about.....abortion, sexualization of our children, illegal immigration....all of which have common sense fixes yet the left continues to push. What's next? Legalizing pedophilia?

Old 09-25-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
So National abortion policy is okay but local isn't? When it comes to legislation which has the most dramatic impact on people? ..... local or national.... local of course. That is basic logic. The people in California vote pure blue.... therefore sending the abortion issue back to the state will have no significant impact to the people of Georgia. The local people will have spoken. You can still go to California, get your up till birth abortion, nobody is going to GPS track you and throw you in jail for doing so. Same here in Georgia. I don't believe GA will outlaw abortion. I do think (and hope upon hope) that some reasonable legislation is passed which does away with 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions unless the mother is in jeopardy. And no, I'm not talking about tubal pregnancy, routine DnC after miscarriage, and all the other life-saving procedures that must continue. See.... this is where the left goes off the rails..... We're not all heart-less people who cannot feel, but we also can see through the blatant propaganda when the media and the left try to gaslight us into thinking that the worst case scenarios to "take away" rights is a foregone conclusion just to push your narrative. The left's use of abortion as nothing more than a convenient birth control method does nothing but harm your argument. We on the right were okay when it was legal, safe and rare......but ya'll just had to push it......... many of us said a long time ago.... we gave you a slippery slope, but when you (not you personally of course) decide to push one of these days that push to the left would be too far. Unfortunately for ALL OF US..... that push has come to pass....

Look at the issues we are fighting about.....abortion, sexualization of our children, illegal immigration....all of which have common sense fixes yet the left continues to push. What's next? Legalizing pedophilia?
You're a sick person to think people discussing a women's individual right to make health decisions about her own body is in anyway related to people legalizing pedophilia and sexualizing children.

This is the kind of outlandish nonsense the extreme radical right is pushing these days to vilify normal good people and scare people into voting one way, not to mention the other non sense you brought up to vilify the 'left.'

You should be ashamed of yourself at the way you are treating these subjects. It's absolutely despicable for you to act that way. This is where the morals of our country are going downhill. That is is pretty low.

Old 09-25-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
You're a sick person to think people discussing a women's individual right to make health decisions about her own body is in anyway related to people legalizing pedophilia and sexualizing children.

This is the kind of outlandish nonsense the extreme radical right is pushing these days to vilify normal good people and scare people into voting one way, not to mention the other non sense you brought up to vilify the 'left.'

You should be ashamed of yourself at the way you are treating these subjects. It's absolutely despicable for you to act that way. This is where the morals of our country are going downhill. That is is pretty low.
Wait.. the left is the ones wanting to sexualize children.... don't go blaming that on the right....
We're done with this conversation, when the side that says in one breathe the republicans are taking away a women's rights yet at the same time supports turning a whole group of men into women who say men can give birth..... if we're taking away women's rights, why do so many of them want to become women all of a sudden? Must not be too bad huh? As a women the only thing I can't do that a man can do is write my name in the snow..... No one is taking my rights away.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections