Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 06:16 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,165,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No fan of DeSantis at all, but he would beat Trump. And I think Trump is aware of that. Hardcore supporters of Trump want him re elected. Moderates of the party won't vote for him though. They will, however, vote for DeSantis. Trump has too much baggage and is too old. Plus, it's all about him at his rallies. People are tired of that.
I think this is a fair assessment. I voted for DeSantis and would do it again. I did not vote for Trump and don't see that changing in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 08:18 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,727,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I think Trump is playing the liberals. I don't think he will run and will turn over the reins to DeSantis.
You give Trump too much credit. Trump's ego would never let Desantis take the spotlight away from himself. He basically has the Republicans right now cowering in fear waiting on what Trump might do as to not feel his wrath.

If Trump decides to run and that is an if I doubt any Republican will challenge him they are too scared of him.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:22 AM

Desantis is young energetic not afraid to take on the establishment or the media tough on immigration all the things reps like. Why would people want an old spent geezer like Trump who has divided the party?

When they can get Desantis who would unite the party and take back the presidency from old Joe easily? seems like an easy choice.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:37 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No fan of DeSantis at all, but he would beat Trump. And I think Trump is aware of that. Hardcore supporters of Trump want him re elected. Moderates of the party won't vote for him though. They will, however, vote for DeSantis. Trump has too much baggage and is too old. Plus, it's all about him at his rallies. People are tired of that.
His fan base could pull the victory for the Democratic nominee by sitting out if they do not get their way.

~30% of the voters are members of the GOP. They back trump 75+ percent. If they don't get their way a certain percent will not vote to spite whoever took the nomination from their idol. If Trump plays kingmaker, the GOP chances go up drastically.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:57 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
An article from vanityfair quoted Desantis.

"DeSantis in private trashes Trump. “He calls him a TV personality and a moron who has no business running for president,†a former DeSantis staffer said. DeSantis tells donors that, if he takes on Trump, he would launch a full frontal attack on his record and competence."

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022...ial-type=owned

I'm no Desantis fan but he could probably defeat sleepy joe with two hands behind his back better than old spent Trump.
I am convinced that DeSantis would be a much stronger candidate than Trump in a general election. The largely undecided Republican leaning independents will be able to support him, and the Trump supporters will accept him (some eagerly).

I think Trump understands this. Trump can read his opposition.

Trump really needs the office, it will protect him from prosecutions. This is the ever-present 'plan B' ... the fall back option if legal defenses fail. This is why he needs to invest so heavily in the campaign. The presidency is his bulletproof vest.

Once Trump successfully acquires the office, his people will push for an end to term limits for the presidency. It will be on the agenda by the second year in office.

Trump might allow Desantis to run if he extracts an ironclad promise of pardons from DeSantis, otherwise the knives are out.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I am convinced that DeSantis would be a much stronger candidate than Trump in a general election. The largely undecided Republican leaning independents will be able to support him, and the Trump supporters will accept him (some eagerly).

I think Trump understands this. Trump can read his opposition.

Trump really needs the office, it will protect him from prosecutions. This is the ever-present 'plan B' ... the fall back option if legal defenses fail. This is why he needs to invest so heavily in the campaign. The presidency is his bulletproof vest.

Once Trump successfully acquires the office, his people will push for an end to term limits for the presidency. It will be on the agenda by the second year in office.

Trump might allow Desantis to run if he extracts an ironclad promise of pardons from DeSantis, otherwise the knives are out.
If Desantis says he will pardon Trump than he will not get my vote.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:41 AM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
If Desantis says he will pardon Trump than he will not get my vote.

Who you are fooling? Abortions on demand is your God. You will vote Democrat with your eyes close regardless which Democrat runs.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'm not sure why you think he has to hate Trump or suffer TDS to face off against him in a primary, and I sure can't figure out where you get the idea he'd use Democrat talking points. What he can do is present himself as a more focused and disciplined and less baggage-laden version of Trump, with a proven track record governing a purple state to back it up.

Trump and DeSantis have the same policies. So your plan in the primary is that DeSantis is going to be nice and ask the base to vote for him because he has a different style than Trump? OK

I don't think DeSantis will run if Trump runs. He can read the base numbers.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
DeSantis didn`t do himself any favors by bussing the asylum seekers out of harm`s way while his supporters are clinging to rooftops. Voters will remember who he really cares about.

Democrat thinking. Mixing sending 50 immigrants to an open borders Democrat state to a hurricane. Yeah I'm sure Floridians will punish DeSantis about that.

Old 09-29-2022, 10:16 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Desantis is young energetic not afraid to take on the establishment or the media tough on immigration all the things reps like. Why would people want an old spent geezer like Trump who has divided the party?

When they can get Desantis who would unite the party and take back the presidency from old Joe easily? seems like an easy choice.
I think just about anyone could beat ol' Joe right now, probably even Trump. The issue is, ol' Joe is not likely to be the nominee. Even if he ran again, I'm not sure he'd survive a primary challenge; it's obvious even to the Dems what a liability he is for the party. Propping him up to run for another would be an exercise in straight-up elder abuse and appalling optics. So there's a good chance the GOP nominee will face off against someone more coherent and formidable. That being the case, the race would no longer be a referendum on the incumbent, and if Trump is the GOP nominee, instead it becomes a referendum on Trump.

A referendum between Biden and Trump could go Trump's way. A referendum on Trump versus a fresh nominee does not work well in Trump's favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections