Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK
Walking around Helsinki and Stockholm, it never jumped out at me that most were blond. They were not.
Yes, that is what I've been saying the whole time. The % with light hair = blonde, light brown, medium brown is probably among the highest in Finland and Sweden, but that doesn't mean that the majority would be blonde. They are not.
I consider light haired to be light brown and lighter amongst European people. Medium brown to me is dark hair. Although someone with medium brown hair amongst a group of Orientals looks light haired because of the contrast. And yes we agree that most people in the Nordic countries do not have blond hair, contrary to popular belief from those who have never been to those countries.

The Nordic countries have a larger percentage of people with blond hair than other countries that is all. You will find more people have blond hair in total numbers in the UK than say in Finland, as the UK has a population of 62 million. Blond to me is any shade lighter than fair.

I your case with dark hair, it must be irritating when outsiders may consider you some sort of freak because you do not have blond hair. However your facial features probably fall in line with the average Finn.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 AM

40 posts, read 56,796 times
Ive seen a lot of brown hair/ brown eyes in Italy, Spain , France and even in Germany. Isnt it impossible for a white person to have black hair color? If you are saying european, there are many black people in france and UK. (INDIANS ) So in that case, there are many black hair coloured europeans, but if you are talking about white people, ive never seen a black haired european, unless someone dyed own hair. Do europeans dye their hair to Blonde? Many Us people ive seen who were blonde were all dyed hair.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Yes Manx, Irish and Scottish Gaelic are all related to Old Irish.
Old Norse infiltrated all the Gaelic languages and of course English to a far greater degree.

Last edited by John-UK; 08-14-2014 at 01:25 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneneedsbattery View Post
Ive seen a lot of brown hair/ brown eyes in Italy, Spain , France and even in Germany. Isnt it impossible for a white person to have black hair color? If you are saying european, there are many black people in france and UK. (INDIANS ) So in that case, there are many black hair coloured europeans, but if you are talking about white people, ive never seen a black haired european, unless someone dyed own hair. Do europeans dye their hair to Blonde? Many Us people ive seen who were blonde were all dyed hair.
We are on about "ethnic" people in these countries whose background is 100% of the country they live in, not immigrants or sons of immigrants. You can have a dark haired ethnic Irishman or Scandinavian, but his facial features and skin colouring will be common with the Irish or Scandinavians. It is not all down to hair colouring.

But as this thread is partly about hair colour, and in answer to the threads title, black haired/brown eyed people in southern Europe is more the norm. In northern/western Europe they are not looked twice at in the major big cities. In a region which has mainly light skinned, light eyed/light haired people they will be looked on differently just because they are different.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Old Norse infiltrated all the Gaelic languages and of course English to a far greater degree.
Yes to a certain degree. Not unusually with words associated with boats, shipping etc.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:45 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneneedsbattery View Post
Over there black hair (or at least really dark brown hair that in practice look like black) is quite common. Not as common as brown hair, but still common.
For example
Caparezza, an italian singer http://www.ritrattidinote.it/wp-cont.../caparezza.jpg
Rossella Brescia, an italian show girl and dancer http://www.bellezzedellatoscana.it/g..._Brescia_g.jpg

So, considering that we are european too, there are some european with black (or at least really dark brown) hair.

About the blonde dyed hair, also there a lot of women (in particular women older than 30 years old) tend to have their hair dyed, often to blonde color. In practice the most of blondes over there are dyed...

Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, it was the Meyers Blitz-Lexicon. Of course this was nothing but rubbish. Pseudoscience, as you said. This was not the only one, many British and American scholars also had pseudoscientific classifications.
12. "Mädchen von Samoa".

Old 09-06-2014, 04:21 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,435,317 times
According to a recent research done this year, scientists found blue eyes are the commonest colour among the British and Irish people followed by green, then brown. For the whole of Britain, 48% blue, 30% green, 22% brown. Southwest England is the least blue-eyed.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,622,250 times
I have black hair pretty much, and I'm viewed with suspicion when abroad.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 PM

662 posts, read 1,008,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee12 View Post
Last time I checked Greece, Italy and Spain were in Europe. Most people there have black hair and brown eyes.
Not true, we are mostly brown haired. At least the statistics of italy say so. Althought dark brown haired. Not medium brown.

it's seems i'm obsessionate with hair and skin color in this forum. But i wan't just to cut steretipes and tell the truth.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hair_Italy.png

capelli castani di ogni tonalitá = "brown hair of all shades" datas are taken from statistics on military visits on italians befire mass immigration.

Brown hair are in many ragions above 60% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe