Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 11:01 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not only that, but lots of people don't know that Spain borders France. Lots of people know where France is, but have no idea that Spain is the country hanging onto southern France . It's strange, because Spain is also the 3rd largest European country west of Russia.
The majority of Russia is located in Asiatic Russia. The European part of Russia is only a small portion compared to the rest of the nation.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:23 AM

595 posts, read 719,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I'm more interested in hearing about what other Europeans think about Iberian countries then reading more stereotypically-based assertions about how Americans don't know where Spain and Portugal are. Although I suspect you'll find some shallow misconceptions about those countries from some other Europeans as well.
Of course you will, stereotypes and misconceptions are common all around the world, and this forum is an example.
The average European doesn't know that much about Iberian countries, in the same way that people from Portugal and Spain have misconceptions about the other European countries. There are even misconceptions between Spanish and Portuguese.

The point is, people like to complain about Americans ignorance, but are the Europeans the first to make wrong conclusions about Portugal and Spain spending one month in tourist traps in southern Portugal or Spanish mediterranean coast or a weekend in Barcelona, Lisboa and Madrid with zero interaction with natives.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 AM

276 posts, read 762,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Of course you will, stereotypes and misconceptions are common all around the world, and this forum is an example.
The average European doesn't know that much about Iberian countries, in the same way that people from Portugal and Spain have misconceptions about the other European countries. There are even misconceptions between Spanish and Portuguese.

The point is, people like to complain about Americans ignorance, but are the Europeans the first to make wrong conclusions about Portugal and Spain spending one month in tourist traps in southern Portugal or Spanish mediterranean coast or a weekend in Barcelona, Lisboa and Madrid with zero interaction with natives.
+1000000

And where can I get me one of those "Iberian" passports I keep hearing about?

Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM

22 posts, read 57,192 times
I think of Spain as a Mediterranean European country. Similar in climate to Italy, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, and Albania. Barcelona is the capital of the Mediterranean (Barcelona, Capital del Mediterraneo). The culture has similarities with both Med countries and parts of Latin America.

I'd like to go to Spain one day. Although the unemployment is high, it seems like a decent place to visit

Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higurashi View Post
I think of Spain as a Mediterranean European country. Similar in climate to Italy, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, and Albania. Barcelona is the capital of the Mediterranean (Barcelona, Capital del Mediterraneo). The culture has similarities with both Med countries and parts of Latin America.

I'd like to go to Spain one day. Although the unemployment is high, it seems like a decent place to visit
Off course Spain is a Med country.

Actually the most Med along with Greece.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:56 AM

9 posts, read 15,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I think lots of people have no idea that Spain is in Europe and isn't some completely hot, arid place year-round with cowboys and sombreros.

Not only Americans...the first thing Brits do in Barcelona is buy a gigantic Mexican sombrero.
I couldn't care less, and Spain is at fault because after all, any difference from other neighbouring countries attracts tourists.
Just 4 years ago, Brits were complaining that Spain was not "typical enough"..and Spain needs to be typical to attract tourists.
Who wants to visit a place that is just the same drag that other European countries? In that respect, Spain is loosing the battle due to the influence of the EEC.
Wine, Sun, Sangria and Fiesta.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,179 times
All I know is that I've heard that Spain is the place to go if you want to party!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 AM

72 posts, read 138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not only that, but lots of people don't know that Spain borders France. Lots of people know where France is, but have no idea that Spain is the country hanging onto southern France . It's strange, because Spain is also the 3rd largest European country west of Russia.

Yea..in Israel people think that the capital of Spain is Vienna() and that Spain is located in Asia () but I am sure that all Europeans know exactly where Spain is

Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 AM

9 posts, read 15,826 times
unbrainwashed

But if most American can't place their state in a map, how do you pretend they know were Spain is? For them, Spanish is a taco-burrito-enchilada from "Columbia", and the Spanish president is Chong. Americans are not interested in the outside world, except for a few papers, most only talk about local news. They are more interested in the local population of stray cats than in a famine in Yonder the ocean.

More than 90 percent of Spanish speakers are Mexican, so they assume that Spanish are Mexicans, but not the "gachupin" white elite in Mexico, but braceros. There are almost no South American from the southern cone, no rich Brazilians, etc. except in NY and Miami.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Studying Spanish is actually gaining a lot of popularity here, it's the most popular country for vacation except for our Western and Southern neighbors, and there's also a lot of interest in the country as a whole.

Nobody in Finland would ever consider Spain as "Africa" or something else in that theme. And all people know well that the Spaniards don't wear sombreros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe