Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM

217 posts, read 277,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crococopterus View Post
Not only Americans...the first thing Brits do in Barcelona is buy a gigantic Mexican sombrero.
I couldn't care less, and Spain is at fault because after all, any difference from other neighbouring countries attracts tourists.
Just 4 years ago, Brits were complaining that Spain was not "typical enough"..and Spain needs to be typical to attract tourists.
Who wants to visit a place that is just the same drag that other European countries? In that respect, Spain is loosing the battle due to the influence of the EEC.
Wine, Sun, Sangria and Fiesta.
I find this really hard to believe. Spain is full of Brits who most of all seem to have no clue whatsoever about what country theyre in, so why would they care if its 'typical'. Youll only ever meet them drunk, running around the streets being ridiculous, partying, and expecting everybody to speak English. Spain has entire villages build for retired Brits, that all live there together, rarely learning any Spanish and basically go to spend the rest of there lives burning on the beach.

Not that the rest of northern Europe behaves much differently though... I think in here (Netherlands) people mostly see Spain as a sunny country where you go to the beach, drink sangría and eat paella. Young people party (Costa Brava), old people retire (Costa del Sol), and family's visit Barcelona. Barcelona is incredibly popular in Holland, much more than the rest of Spain. I think it has something to do with the fact that the football there used to be very influenced by Dutch coaches and players, so the city became very known here. France and Germany as countries are more popular to go to on holidays, but i rarely meet anyone who hasnt been to Barcelona. The football team is also still one of the favorites of almost everybody in here. The rest of Spain is still known for the bullfighting, flamenco etc clichés.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:46 AM

39 posts, read 82,430 times
Bit of a backward and swarthy place.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:21 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagus Crows View Post
I'm not taking this too personal, i just feel sometimes people talk about European Southern countries like they were static in time and nothing changes there.

Down here, i look at UK and i think they are quite traditional, with all the "Sir movement" and so on.

I'll give you a good example, using your own words, of another example of generalization: Catholic marriage in Portugal.

I have the feeling that most of foreigners when visiting or knowing a little bit about the country they think it's still very, very religious ("very rigid", like you have said), not realizing the shift that occurred in the society in the past 40 years.

* There was 2.3 times more weddings in 1974 than in 2012; there was 2.1 times more weddings in 1990 than in 2012.
* In 1990, 72% of all weddings were Catholic; in 2012, only 38% of all weddings were Catholic: most of the weddings in Portugal since 2007 are non-Catholic (and the percentage is climbing an average of almost 2 points every year since!) The percentage of non-Catholic weddings was in 2012 3.2 times higher than in 1974.
* There were only minus 9043 cases of divorces than weddings in 2012: this means that in 2012 for every 100 weddings there were 74 divorces, 2.4 times more than in 2000 and 5.6 times more than in 1990.
* There were 2.7 times more divorces in 2012 than in 1990 and 32.6 times more than in 1974.

ps - i will not talk about clothes.
I did not mean all Southern European countries just certain parts only.

Italy to me is the least traditional especially in the mainland.

Spain, Portugal, Sicily, Malta and Greece to me are much more traditional than Italy or the Balkans, sorry.

British like the French or Germans are still more advanced no matter how they act or whichever than Iberian countries.

Statistics or not Iberians are still traditional like Greeks because I find their cultures a little too foreign at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaEstefan View Post
Bit of a backward and swarthy place.
True indeed.

Only some delusional people would not say otherwise.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:33 AM

595 posts, read 719,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
Spain, Portugal, Sicily, Malta and Greece to me are much more traditional than Italy or the Balkans, sorry.

The Balkans, the poorest and most backward part of Europe?
The Catholic and chauvinistic Italy?

You have no idea, sorry

Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
British like the French or Germans are still more advanced no matter how they act or whichever than Iberian countries.
Unfortunately it is so.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post

The Balkans, the poorest and most backward part of Europe?
The Catholic and chauvinistic Italy?

You have no idea, sorry
What a poor excuse for a argument Victus.

The Balkans and especially mainland Italy no matter still have more chances of being richer than Spain/Portugal or Greece which are much more tradition from what I have seen.

Remember what has happened in Spain and Greece recently which is still continuing, could that be to do with a bad economy?!

The truth is worth a thousand words:
Cash-strapped Greece protests against further austerity ? RT Business
http://rt.com/news/spain-protesters-clash-spending-692/

So maybe worry about your own countries than others.

Quote:
Unfortunately it is so.
Exactly indeed.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Remember what has happened in Spain and Greece recently which is still continuing, could that be to do with a bad economy?!
You should consider that the Iberian countries and Greece were the last European countries west of the Iron courtain to become democracies, so it may at least partially account for their backward societies and economy.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
You should consider that the Iberian countries and Greece were the last European countries west of the Iron courtain to become democracies, so it may at least partially account for their backward societies and economy.
Very good points and I truly agree.

This is what I have been trying to point out from a while back.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 AM

595 posts, read 719,310 times
Quote:
What a poor excuse for a argument Victus.
Why so defensive?

Those are not excuses, are facts.

Quote:
The Balkans and especially mainland Italy no matter still have more chances of being richer than Spain/Portugal or Greece which are much more tradition from what I have seen.
Greece is a Balkan country.

The chances of the Balkans are?

Italy and the Balkans are much more traditional than Iberian countries

Quote:
No, it's not continuing

Don't start a discussion on economy, Italy is not in a better situation, and do not make me start talking about the Balkans

Maybe you do not remember the protests in Italy, and there are also far right demostrations defending Mussolini

Quote:
So maybe worry about your own countries than others.
I'm not worry. It is you who seems so, commenting all the time about Iberians

Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Why so defensive?

Those are not excuses, are facts.

Greece is a Balkan country.

The chances of the Balkans are?

Italy and the Balkans are much more traditional than Iberian countries

No, it's not continuing

Don't start a discussion on economy, Italy is not in a better situation, and do not make me start talking about the Balkans

Maybe you do not remember the protests in Italy, and there are also far right demostrations defending Mussolini

I'm not worry. It is you who seems so, commenting all the time about Iberians
It did sound more like an excuse than a proper fact, sorry.

See the truth is hurting you because I have point out how better of Italy and the Balkans are compared to Iberian countries and Greece which is why you give such a defensive and pathetic argument back to me.

Sorry that I pointed out the real truth but it is reality which I know you do not really like.

Economies of most European countries, the US, Australia, even China and Japan are turning out more better in just nearly about everything than Spain/Portugal and Greece could ever offer maybe it is because the latter countries are too Mediterranean and traditional perhaps, LOL.

Do not even bother wasting time bring to past on Mussolini which will not change anything.

Recently:

Protests as Spain moves to restrict abortions - YouTube

Spain: Demonstrators smash banks and barricades in protest - YouTube

GREECE PROTEST TEAR GAS (Greek police fire tear gas at student demonstrators) - YouTube

Greece: Athens demonstrators rebel against protest ban - YouTube

What are you going to do about this then?

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-06-2014 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe