Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:34 AM

52 posts, read 85,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Cat, I'm a native Spanish speaker and from Latin America and even I sometimes have problems understanding the peninsulares north of Andalucía. The only people I can most easily understand are from the Canaries. Of course, Canary Spanish and Puerto Rico/Caribbean Spanish are almost identical . Spaniards north of Andalucía, to my ears, speak a combination of fast Spanish and mumbling too much. WhenIlistentoSpanishTVit'slikereadingsentencesthat havenospacesinbetweenwords.

The most difficult Spanish in the Peninsula are several Andalusian dialects, such as el gaitano, even Andalusians have problems understanding them.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 AM

16 posts, read 53,838 times
Regarding Brits that see Spanish people in a bad way. There are a lot of them (mostly young) that still have the impression they rule the world, and treat Spanish coast as their colony. They go there to get pissed cheaply and have a "fiesta". For them, it's just a cheap backward colony with nice weather and corrupt people, 2h flight from UK.
It kind of reminds me of the Indian Restaurant sketch by Rowan Atkinson.

Also there are the old Brits that retire there. These I think do appreciate the fact that people in Spain are generally very open minded and do not look down on immigrants.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldetonyina View Post
The most difficult Spanish in the Peninsula are several Andalusian dialects, such as el gaitano, even Andalusians have problems understanding them.
Can you post a youtube video of it?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altfell View Post
Regarding Brits that see Spanish people in a bad way. There are a lot of them (mostly young) that still have the impression they rule the world, and treat Spanish coast as their colony. They go there to get pissed cheaply and have a "fiesta". For them, it's just a cheap backward colony with nice weather and corrupt people, 2h flight from UK.
It kind of reminds me of the Indian Restaurant sketch by Rowan Atkinson.

Also there are the old Brits that retire there. These I think do appreciate the fact that people in Spain are generally very open minded and do not look down on immigrants.
'They' are on their holiday - Going there to get pissed cheaply and have a 'fiesta' sounds to me like what a (mostly young) holiday should be like.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,082,353 times
Quote:
Yet, the Spanish every American learns is academic Mexican Spanish. Also considering the plethora of Mexican TV programming in the US, Mexican Spanish should be the easiest to learn for Americans just by exposure alone
Have you even made a compare and contrast of Mexican news articles to those of elpais (spanish news outlet). and no, the Spanish that's taught in the US isn't academic Spanish. the Spanish that is taught is international spanish. and how do I know this; I have taken classes in the US.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Can you post a youtube video of it?

I bet you can find them, look for "gaitano".."acento andaluz cerrado"...

Old 11-14-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
'They' are on their holiday - Going there to get pissed cheaply and have a 'fiesta' sounds to me like what a (mostly young) holiday should be like.

Those type of tourists are just a type of product processed in facilities, they just come, get drunk, scream, make out with drunk and fat girls and puke in delimited areas (Spain is big and they don't bother normal tourists). I don't think they have an opinion about Spain or any other country because I don't think they know were they are.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
Have you even made a compare and contrast of Mexican news articles to those of elpais (spanish news outlet). and no, the Spanish that's taught in the US isn't academic Spanish. the Spanish that is taught is international spanish. and how do I know this; I have taken classes in the US.

No such thing as International Spanish. Mexican papers in Mexico are in nice Spanish, not the Spanish media in the US.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
I like the Iberian countries, better than the rest of Europe in my book (before the crisis a lot of Britons expatriated in Spain of Portugal : it's a sign of the attractiveness of these countries):
- sunny, mediterranean/temperate climates
- not too densely populated
- attracting cities with lot of ancient buildings, churches, works of art ("casco antiguo")
- relatively clean
- languages (Spanish, Galician, Catalan, Basque, Portuguese) pleasant to the ear
- good food
- 20% cheaper than north of the Pyrenees
- nature still pristine in the mountains
- (before the crisis) good standard of living
- good infrastructures : good roads, ATMs everywhere, etc
- Western nations with the same Christian cultural background
More positives than negatives in my book. Maybe I'll retire there in a few years.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 AM

276 posts, read 763,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldetonyina View Post
I bet you can find them, look for "gaitano".."acento andaluz cerrado"...
Gaditano (that's the accent from Cádiz). And yes, it's true, it's noticeable even among Andalusian standards.

You can check Andalusian in this silly video:

Curso Dandalú (1º Parte) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe