Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 07:13 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,052,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think part of the issue is that some people say that being born in country x makes you x, but that isn't always the case. Would you say that anyone that is born in North America is Native American? That anyone born in Arizona is Navajo? Not all immigrants assimilate, for instance Roma (Gypsy) doesn't necessarily equal Romanian and vice versa. Also I don't think people should have to abandon their ancestral heritage in order to live in another country. For instance my parents immigrated to the US and despite living here for 27 years they still hold on to their Russian identity and have passed it on to me and my siblings, and why should I abandon that identity? I acknowledge my nationality as being American, but I also acknowledge that my history and upbringing is different than most white Americans.

Also I'm not anti immigration, however I am against unchecked immigration and despite what you may think large demographic shifts changes culture and identity, why do you think in the US people still primarily identify by their ethnic group such as Irish American, Italian American, African American, Mexican American, Cuban American, Chinese American, etc. It's pretty rare for people to completely abandon their ancestral identity unless they are so mixed that they can't identify with anyone of them, or it's been such a long time that they themselves are unsure, such as African Americans, but still sometimes, as in the case of African Americans, they create their own new unique identity/culture.
You're second generation. It's very easy to partially identify with your parent's heritage. I'm 4th generation, of mostly Russian decent and I have as much in common with Russian culture as a Big Mac. After the third generation very few will hold onto their previous heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 03:06 AM

536 posts, read 324,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
You should watch the Jersey Shore.
It was actually very popular show in Europe . My teenage cousins watched it . I actually saw one season where those italian americans came to Italy . Only one of them spoke broken italian because his mother was immigrant from sicily . The rest of them did not know a word of italian . They all found out to have not much in common with people there and could not wait to get back to America .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 04-23-2018 at 04:13 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 03:17 AM

[quote=golgi1;51691694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post

I'm curious, are you American or European?

Just so I know where your perspective comes from.

For an American who has lived at street level with these people for his entire life (versus in an isolated community), what tends to become obvious is that the supposed cultural similarities that you mention are largely meaningless (television habits, accents, language, musical interests, etc). This is surface stuff that does not describe interpersonal and community behavior.

What remains is interpersonal and community behavior patterns that, in fact, do more closely resemble those of their ancestors than the people from the tribe the next block over.

America is unique in that it allows a person to recognize what doesn't change among everything that becomes assimilated. Whereas in a place like Europe, people are more willing to assume that assimilation is actually possible because they have not learned to detect essential behaviors from the superficial. Its sort of an ignorance via cultural wealth. I do envy the cultural wealth of the Europeans, but I do not envy the cultural naivete that often results. That is in no way a comment directed toward you personally.
I am european .I would not say that there is cultural naivety . Most people including me realise that islam in its radical form is not compatible to european society but various nationalities (not only european ) and secular muslims would adapt rather quickly . It has always been like that . In Poland tatars has been living for centuries . They are muslims . Not a slightest problem with them They respect the law and polish habits and customs . That is why we cannot put everyone into the same basket .

Old 04-23-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You're second generation. It's very easy to partially identify with your parent's heritage. I'm 4th generation, of mostly Russian decent and I have as much in common with Russian culture as a Big Mac. After the third generation very few will hold onto their previous heritage.
That is exactly what I have been writting about . There is a difference between fresh immigrants , their direct offspring and between their further descendants . Most people adapt in the second generation and already feel american but they still usually hold on to parents heritage (know the language , keep in touch with their grandparents back in Europe for example ) but later generations just adapt completely .

Look at german americans . There are over 50 millions of them . I mean what is german about them besides their last name ? They are simply americans . They got culturally completely assimilated . For german from Germany , there would be no difference between them and other americans . They could not even get a german citizenship , that is how far away their german ancestry go back . It is probably even hard to find many of them without influence of other ethnicities , that is how long ago their ancestors immigrated .

This is just how I see that .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 04-23-2018 at 04:42 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 05:10 AM

116 posts, read 169,821 times
In Australia, if you're of an Anglo Celtic background, you're classed as 'Aussie'. Yet any other ancestry outside of the Anglo Celtic background will be listed. I always find it humorous when someone says "my dad is Italian (even if the father was born in Australia) and my mum is Aussie" or something to that effect.

Or even better (I kid you not this happened) "my dad is Aussie and my mum's background is Dutch" OK, so you're of Western European background, got it.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,866 times
Quote:

I am european .I would not say that there is cultural naivety . Most people including me realise that islam in its radical form is not compatible to european society but various nationalities (not only european ) and secular muslims would adapt rather quickly . It has always been like that . In Poland tatars has been living for centuries . They are muslims . Not a slightest problem with them They respect the law and polish habits and customs . That is why we cannot put everyone into the same basket .
We're essentially talking racial differences, not cultural. In addition, small-group outliers don't prove much.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Look at german americans . There are over 50 millions of them . I mean what is german about them besides their last name ? They are simply americans . They got culturally completely assimilated.
Who did they get assimilated with? Themselves? Not the Irish. Not the Italians. Not the Russians. Not the Jews. You're essentially looking at the German group and noticing that they represent the "average" largely well behaved American who says and does the right things. Its easy to do when there are so many of them. Yes, the Germans are good at culture. That doesn't mean that they assimilated with or are like most other groups. Just my opinion.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
We're essentially talking racial differences, not cultural. In addition, small-group outliers don't prove much.
Well , comparing to various countries populations , there are only small groups immigrating . Like , there has been massive immigration from Poland to Germany , and there are merely 2 millions poles out of 82 million people in Germany . It is ike drop in the ocean .
Yes , if you let in 40 millions poles into Germany at once , even though they are culturally similar , they would not assimilate because there would be so many of them , that there would not be any need for them to assimilate . The same applies to other groups . Thats why we can only talk about small groups , because there aren't any multi-million (like 20-30 millions people from one country ) groups immigrating . That would be a completely different case . But small groups usually have no choice but to assimilate . That is the only way for them to prosper in their new country .

Last edited by WestPreussen; 04-24-2018 at 03:12 AM..

Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Who did they get assimilated with? Themselves? Not the Irish. Not the Italians. Not the Russians. Not the Jews. You're essentially looking at the German group and noticing that they represent the "average" largely well behaved American who says and does the right things. Its easy to do when there are so many of them. Yes, the Germans are good at culture. That doesn't mean that they assimilated with or are like most other groups. Just my opinion.
They assimilated with other groups of americans . Just because people write that they are of german ancestry in cencus does not mean they are fully of german heritage . It means that this is their most prominent ancestry . But they usually are mixed with other ancestries . Go to ethnic-celebs site and check out white american people's ancestry . Like actors , singers , athletes . There are barely any of them with ancestry from one single country . Most of them are mixed , and most of them are of german , british , irish mix and usually even of more additional ethnicities . The boom of european immigration was in late XIX and at the beginning of XX century . For irish it was even before that . After so many time has passed most people intermarried at some point .

Old 04-24-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
They assimilated with other groups of americans . Just because people write that they are of german ancestry in cencus does not mean they are fully of german heritage . It means that this is their most prominent ancestry . But they usually are mixed with other ancestries .
This misunderstanding isn't your fault, because the USA is actually a more difficult country to grasp than most people think. Given that it is so large, that also applies to most Americans.

However, it especially applies to Europeans and Americans who either have not traveled much in America and/or who don't seriously think about and research this specific aspect of America. Which is most people.

Most people, everywhere, lack the immigration history and dispersion knowledge to even begin observing the truth in regard to American society.

In short, "Germans" essentially migrated here and infilled most of the prosperous land in the nation (urban, suburban, and the rural farming land).

How they differed from the prior immigrants and most recent immigrants is that they were (and are) primarily a farming tribe. Especially West German immigrants.

Thus, they infilled rural farming areas, not just urban and suburban areas like the other immigrants who were (and are) not of a significant farming heritage.

Though, the Germans lived in those areas as well, and to this day represent a fairly significant genetic base in urban and suburban regions (decreasingly in the coastal large urban regions).

It is only in these urban an suburban regions where Germans will be seen to significantly mix with other tribes, because those are the only places where other tribes exist in significant numbers.

Though even there, there are a fair amount of unmixed Germanic type individuals in second tier cities. They are more rare in places like NYC proper where the immigration churn is constant due to the hyper-active mercantile economy.

Most of the nation, as a percentage of inhabited land, has little other appreciable immigration of other tribes. The coastal cities do, the interior cities to a lesser extent, and the crucial rural and exurban areas of most of the USA have very little if any other immigrants. As a percentage of land.

The low population density aspect of the USA, which is most of the USA, and which is occupied by original Germanic stock, serves to dissuade other immigrants who generally are urban tribal types distinct from the farming and domineering mercantile (Anglos, Scandis, Dutch) German tribes.

Most Germanic farming stock in the USA are Catholic Swabian / Bavarian stock. These represent the largest part of the inland German farming population. These people vote conservative.

Though, there is a minority of inland Saxon / North Sea / Scandi Lutheran stock. They concentrate in different States. These people tend to vote liberal more often than the Southern Germanics.

The Anglo-Saxons (not to be confused with Saxons) are still quite common and domineering as merchants (a term that I use very loosely as a catch all for most economic modes that aren't farming or manufacturing) on the coasts (as are other tribes). Make no mistake, they are insular. They are rarely found inland, but especially not in the few cities that are unquestionably dominated by other tribes. They, do, however dominate in the largest coastal centers along with one other tribe.

The Scandis set up a city above the primary farming heartland, in order to create a mercantile center from which to trade the farming goods produced by the West German farming types who largely operate the economy in the major farming production States to the south of them. They are only found inland and in a couple of coastal cities, as a large group. They are exceedingly rare on the East coast.

The Dutch pretty much inhabit one inland farming State, though I would guess that a small Dutch elite still exists in place like NYC (originally called New Amsterdam). Most cities here retain a deep echo of their origin.

I'm unsure what the primary Dutch economic mode is inland, other than farming, but they noticeably vote differently than the other West German tribe farming States that surround them (as do the Scandis).

Quote:
Go to ethnic-celebs site and check out white american people's ancestry . Like actors , singers , athletes . There are barely any of them with ancestry from one single country .
As people migrate to urban areas, mixing is probable.

Though, you will often see a new highly popular female actor who is plucked from the farming belt if not straight from Scandanavia. Many actors are mixed, but the relatively unmixed Germanic phenotype is still prized by the media consuming public.

As a final note, "Germany" itself is, by definition, a mixed nation of several different tribes that have long been in conflict.

Each has a genetically close yet different primary genetic base, of differing subclades, in Celtic type stock (R1b and its subclades, sometimes heavily mixed with Nordic types over long periods of time to produce a very Nordicized Celtic type - see the Dutch), with a smaller second population of true Nordic stock (I1, I2a2 haplotpyes) within the primary population. East Germans will have more Slavic stock (R1a haplotype and its subclades) as its genetic base. This will also be Nordicized (Germanized) over time due to mixing with a truly genetically Nordic population minority.

The degree and history of mixing with this Nordic inner genetic core in the population generally determines how genetically "Germanic" each German tribe is. Though, from a strict DNA perspective, it is only strictly the Nordic Haplotype individuals who are Germanic. The rest are "Nordicized" Celts or Slavs, and who make up most of every ethnically Germanic population.

None of the primary power centers of these tribes lies within Germany. Germany is the chessboard of Europe where these tribes meet to do business and fight, traditionally. The single nation in Germany is an ahistorical concept, though the tribes who meet there to live as "Germany" more or less all have generally been extraordinarily high performing and fierce tribes. In this aspect of their respective cultures, they are compatible. In every other respect, they have long and often do act as differing tribes with differing interests. See Germany's history. See modern regional voting and political patterns in Germany. See modern and historical regional economies of Germany. See modern regional stereotypes in Germany.

Last edited by golgi1; 04-24-2018 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe