Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 11:55 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
It takes two to fight.
In all honesty I don't see any reason for the Donbass opolcheniye to hit Ukrainian positions at this point. It's obviously clear that no offensive is in the making, and they are interested in retaining their positions. Ukrainians on another hand feel bitter, so they shoot "for the hell of it," just for the sake of destruction.

Quote:
With out a war, many of the war lords on the Russian side would lose their raison d' etre- and the Russian economy does not exactly have alot of employment alternatives to former war lords accustomed to running private feifdoms.
I don't believe they need an employment in Russia. In fact Putin is weary of them, the murder of people like Mozgovoy, Bednov is quite telling.

Quote:
That aside, my guess is that the region under Russian "liberation" is well on its way to becoming a failed mini state (or "states" as the various war lords enjoy autonomy).
It was Kremlin's decision to keep LNR and DNR separated.
Besides, do you see Ukraine as a "successful state?" I see it as a failed "maxi-state."

Quote:
The fact that a certain number, perhaps even most of these war lords are not local, but Russian imports and have little personal interest in the area's vitality is going to accelerate the failure.
No, the "war lords" are indeed local, they are not "Russian imports." Part of the fighters ( former officers included I'd guess,) are "Russian imports." They have good reasons to be there I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 02:00 PM

617 posts, read 538,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
It takes two to fight. With out a war, many of the war lords on the Russian side would lose their raison d' etre- and the Russian economy does not exactly have alot of employment alternatives to former war lords accustomed to running private feifdoms.

That aside, my guess is that the region under Russian "liberation" is well on its way to becoming a failed mini state (or "states" as the various war lords enjoy autonomy). The fact that a certain number, perhaps even most of these war lords are not local, but Russian imports and have little personal interest in the area's vitality is going to accelerate the failure.
Most of what you call "war lords", are in fact locals. Many of so called "rebels" came from Russia yes, but not because of money, they want to protect their relatives still living in eastern Ukraine, and they want to save those Ukrainians who unwilling to accept the rule of forcefully installed Nazi government.

Putin will never let West to have eastern Ukraine, no way, I would not be surprised if Russia either moves its troops into Donetsk or Donetsk will declare itself part of RF in very near future.
Eastern Ukraine same as Crimea is Russian land, and will always remain so, regardless of how many stinky CIA operatives gonna work against this.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:04 PM

I see "Ukrainian democracy" hit Donetsk yesterday yet again....

Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM

...Meanwhile in Kiev -

https://www.facebook.com/usdos.ukrai...6/?pnref=story

( I guess that's the whole video of the show;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sQH...TownwU1nXpa1hw

Nope, it all won't end up well the way I see it.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:45 PM

617 posts, read 538,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I see "Ukrainian democracy" hit Donetsk yesterday yet again....

If You Don't Come To Democracy, Democracy Will Come To You!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtvznXTAabk

Old 06-11-2016, 11:08 AM

651 posts, read 415,931 times
Default An unexpected visit to Kiev

Quote:
...Meanwhile in Kiev -

https://www.facebook.com/usdos.ukrai...6/?pnref=story

( I guess that's the whole video of the show;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sQH...TownwU1nXpa1hw

Nope, it all won't end up well the way I see it.
Before I didn't know about the chorus. They look very intelligent and nice. But we all know there are many both progressive tolerant people in Ukraine and homophobic too.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:58 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Politicians in the west don't care about the real cost of these militaristic endeavors of theirs. Stalin said casualties were just statistics. Western politicians give insincere apologies and bomb again the next day.

I guess the difference is in the fine print.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:50 PM

Me and my daughter just got off the train from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle earlier today. She's off doing her volunteer thing at the UGM and I came here to the library downtown. On the way we met 2 guys from Odessa Ukraine. Both 20 to 25 very smart and well dressed. Seems there here taking part in a program for work visas and came to do the paperwork to get a green card. Anna (other daughter) wasn't with us so the conversation was hard as Ukrainian is different from Russian in ways but I got some good first hand information.

They're here as indentured servants essentially. They are supposed to work in the restaurant industry of Seattle as laborers or whatever. They are paying an agency to come here and find work. I didn't ask specifics but you can imagine the debts these guys are incurring doing this. They say there are no jobs in Ukraine and the people are going to extreme measures to find means to survive. People are living hand to mouth, by any means necessary to feed themselves.

I don't think the junta is going to be around a lot longer.

Good job Murika, good job.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 PM

Foreign Policy Magazine. I agree. It's just a step but will we ever see it? These guys have their own personal armies which they are using in the east against Novorussia currently. To stop Ukraines corruption you'd have to tear the country to pieces to do it. The west is so corrupt itself they couldn't do it right.

Dethroning Ukraine

Quote:
raine’s oligarchs are its biggest problem. If there is a single obstacle to establishing a functioning state, a sound economy, and true democratic accountability, it is the tycoons who control the country.

The oligarchs first emerged in the years following Ukraine’s independence from the Soviet Union in 1991. They grew rich by gaining privileged access to the gas market, expropriating companies from private owners, trading with state enterprises on advantageous terms, and privatizing those same firms at pennies on the dollar. The crooked dealings that lie at the root of their fortunes give them a vital interest in keeping state officials corruptible, the economy rigged, and the rule of law weak. A world in which regulators abide by the rules, prosecutors and judges behave scrupulously, democratic procedures hold leaders accountable, and market competition works as intended is one in which the oligarchs cannot live and work.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:35 PM

684 posts, read 713,613 times
Quote:
i see "ukrainian democracy" hit donetsk yesterday yet again....

ссуки позорные !

Вы знаете, на 9ое Мая мне сильно захотелось собраться на Тайм Сквайре и спеть Катюшу.... както осталась эта мысль со мной....

Да кстати, я на танке по польше так и не покатался
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe