Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 12:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Switzerland isn't "the richest country in the world by far". Median household income is basically the same as the U.S., while relative costs in Switzerland are much higher.
Yes. I was surprised when a Swiss friend said she can't afford to travel to Geneva for a holiday weekend. She's a nurse, which pays well in the US, I don't know about Switz. But she saves everything for her annual vacation, when she travels abroad. Other than that, there's not much discretionary income to spend on extras. I've also read on Swiss forums that they can't afford to go out to breakfast much, let alone dinner. People share info with friends & neighbors on which restaurants include free jam with the typical continental breakfast, seriously. Switzerland is great if you're one of the bankers or other wealthy types. The middle class gets squeezed, due to the high rents, and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Y Switzerland is great if you're one of the bankers or other wealthy types. The middle class gets squeezed, due to the high rents, and all.
Yes. Switzerland has high median salaries but pretty huge income inequality (not unlike the U.S.) and consumer costs are VERY high, so even though salaries are higher than Germany and Northern Italy, I think the standard of living is about equal.

Go to a Swiss supermarket and look at the price of a steak. It's jaw-dropping. If you're American you'll think even Whole Foods is dirt cheap in comparison.

I really like Switzerland, and think it has the most beautiful mountain scenery in existence, as well as some of the most gorgeous villages and lakes, but I really don't think any of its cities are particularly exciting. I think younger people would prefer Milan, Lyon, or Munich, and then take vacations to the Swiss countryside.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes. Switzerland has high median salaries but pretty huge income inequality (not unlike the U.S.) and consumer costs are VERY high, so even though salaries are higher than Germany and Northern Italy, I think the standard of living is about equal.

Go to a Swiss supermarket and look at the price of a steak. It's jaw-dropping. If you're American you'll think even Whole Foods is dirt cheap in comparison.

I really like Switzerland, and think it has the most beautiful mountain scenery in existence, as well as some of the most gorgeous villages and lakes, but I really don't think any of its cities are particularly exciting. I think younger people would prefer Milan, Lyon, or Munich, and then take vacations to the Swiss countryside.
Fortunately, I don't like steak. But I've looked at the Swiss diet, and it's high on starches, especially potatoes. Someone on a high-protein/low carb diet there would end up spending all their money just on groceries.

Whole Foods is actually cheaper than the independent grocers and food co-op in my town. Believe it or not, there actually are grocers that are more expensive than Whole Foods!

Old 09-20-2016, 11:52 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,935,425 times
Quote:
Yes. I was surprised when a Swiss friend said she can't afford to travel to Geneva for a holiday weekend. She's a nurse, which pays well in the US, I don't know about Switz. But she saves everything for her annual vacation, when she travels abroad. Other than that, there's not much discretionary income to spend on extras. I've also read on Swiss forums that they can't afford to go out to breakfast much, let alone dinner. People share info with friends & neighbors on which restaurants include free jam with the typical continental breakfast, seriously. Switzerland is great if you're one of the bankers or other wealthy types. The middle class gets squeezed, due to the high rents, and all.
Not my experience, I had a job interview in CH earlier this year and the salaries are far higher than the rest of Europe and the US. Far, far higher even. And there's barely any income tax, there are some taxes and social security but those are far lower than in the rest of Europe or the US. The higher salary more than compensates for the high costs of living.

Most large cities in CH are close to the border and many go shopping in the EU, there is no need to pay the high grocery prices. Except for housing and a few other things, Switzerland does not need to be expensive. I am still considering moving there in the next few years.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:25 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Well, I used to live and work in Switzerland and my son still does. In Geneva in both cases. So ....

Salaries are high and taxes relatively low although Geneva is higher taxed than neighboring Vaud..

Rents are high but low income families have access to social housing (HLM, HCM) with low rents. Due to rent control, rents do not tend to increase very much, if at all. The last flat I had in Geneva (5 years) I never had a single rent increase but I did have pay increases. So the longer you stay in a flat/house, the cheaper it become in relative terms.

Food is expensive but France is just 15 minutes away. So many Swiss families cross the border to go grocery shopping that Migros (main Swiss grocery chain) have opened up stores in France. Wine is cheap!

Health care is good but relatively expensive (though cheaper than the USA). I used to go into France for dental care because it was cheaper.

Some goods are cheaper in Switzerland. Gas and electronic goods for example and the French come into Switzerland to buy those.

Eating out. I tended to have my lunch out every work day. In Geneva, restaurants are required by law to offer a daily plate (plat du jour) which is generally good and reasonably priced. Other than that, restaurants are fairly expensive. Not much point in going out for breakfast which tends to be a croissant or similar with coffee. I would generally have breakfast at home or buy those en-route and have them at work.

Schools are very good so no need to be looking at private schooling or buying/renting in a good school district as happens in some countries.

Is Switzerland boring? I never found it to be so. But 'pubbing and clubbing' was never my thing. I found it easy to make friends. My son, who did his middle and high school in Geneva, has loads of friends and a vibrant social life.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If you are bored living in Zurich, you are just a boring person and no city in the world will cure this.

You can say you are use to Zurich, want something different, etc, but bored in Zurich?

Maybe you need a reference of what a boring place really is, I suggest move to a place in the US like Wichita, Knoxville, Omaha or some place like that, or try small towns. After those places, Zurich will feel like a carnival.
I had a far busier social life while living in a semi-rural Georgian town than I've ever had in my life. Poolside bbq parties, fishing, hunting, rafting, hiking. And a great dating scene as long as you weren't too picky . Of course being in my late 20s and single and outgoing and better employed than many of the local guys of the same age helped too . But yes, life in pretty much any large city offers far more in terms of entertainment. OTOH, in some places people are much more insular and keep to themselves and don't generally like to interact with strangers. Perhaps the OP should move to a French or Italian-speaking part of Switzerland ?

Old 09-24-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
, in some places people are much more insular and keep to themselves and don't generally like to interact with strangers. Perhaps the OP should move to a French or Italian-speaking part of Switzerland ?
I've heard that the French-Swiss are a little more open or friendly than the German-Swiss, but I wonder if there's really a significant or noticeable difference.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:38 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
I've heard that the French-Swiss are a little more open or friendly than the German-Swiss, but I wonder if there's really a significant or noticeable difference.
It depends on the Canton and it depends on the town/city. Geneva is very international with European HQs (e.g. P&G, Caterpillar, etc.), the United Nations and CERN and the social life reflects this. It is also right on the French border so there is a strong French influence.

Vaud is generally more 'Swiss', however, Lausanne is a university town (University of Lausanne and EPFL) with a pretty vibrant social scene while Montreaux is quite touristy.

Valais and Fribourg are the bilingual cantons. Fribourg is known for being very 'catholic' while Valais, although touristy, has a reputation for being quite 'closed' to non-Valaisans.

Neuchatel is pretty similar to Vaud and only really the town of Neuchatel is interesting.

In summary, anywhere outside of Geneva and Lausanne is going to be quieter, local and more 'Swiss'.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:52 AM

298 posts, read 277,039 times
Toronto is boring, I don't know why you posted Toronto as having a better social-climate, Athens, Greece is a good place for it.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:40 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times
Realistically (as I revive a yr old thread ) what does it take to retire here as an expat? I can still work, as in my 50s (we are), yet speak only bit of German & g/f some French. I visited in '81 & loved it as a young guy. But nowdays as the world has changed alot, I'd consider living permanently there. Ok, I'll await some serious advice though I know this wouldn't be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe