Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissdude View Post
Figuratively speaking Switzerland is this:

"You change car lanes and happen to forget putting in the blinker. The next guy passing you yells at you like the world is about to collapse".
Never thought of it that way, but yeah ... , I would say, it fits !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,069,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well, of course you would suggest that, given your location and your country of origin..

Britain isn't really overpriced at all, outside of London, and I think cities like Manchester and Liverpool are less sterile than Scandinavian or German cities.
Liverpool rocks at the weekends and during the summer. It is now a tourist city.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM

326 posts, read 471,388 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

I can't complain about my life in general. I have lived in sevaral world cities including Amsterdam, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Florence and Milan and am now stuck in Zurich, Switzerland. It is the dulest place with extremely unfriendly people. You guys have an idea what city I should move to next that come close to the exciting places I mentioned above? Thanks for inputs.....
south of france.. Monaco. Or if you can't afford to live there, Nice. they're only a few hours away from Milan/Zurich.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:54 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
south of france.. Monaco. Or if you can't afford to live there, Nice. they're only a few hours away from Milan/Zurich.
You'd think this would be a no-brainer. Maybe those weren't an option for him. He seems to like big cities, too.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
I have read good things about Lyon, but never been there myself...

Old 03-05-2014, 03:28 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

I can't complain about my life in general. I have lived in sevaral world cities including Amsterdam, NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Florence and Milan and am now stuck in Zurich, Switzerland. It is the dulest place with extremely unfriendly people. You guys have an idea what city I should move to next that come close to the exciting places I mentioned above? Thanks for inputs.....
I'm from New York City and I've been to all the cities you've listed except Chicago and I did find Zurich quite boring. I remember walking around with my friend in the park at 3 AM in the morning and feeling utterly safe with not a single homeless person in sight. We visited the red light district, which I think is just one street, and it was completely underwhelming without even a whiff of sleaziness. It's not that I need danger to be excited but the city just lacked any edge or personality. I'm curious why you think Zurich is boring.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 AM

31 posts, read 59,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I'm from New York City and I've been to all the cities you've listed except Chicago and I did find Zurich quite boring. I remember walking around with my friend in the park at 3 AM in the morning and feeling utterly safe with not a single homeless person in sight. We visited the red light district, which I think is just one street, and it was completely underwhelming without even a whiff of sleaziness. It's not that I need danger to be excited but the city just lacked any edge or personality. I'm curious why you think Zurich is boring.
Well this is a topic we could discuss for hours... In the end I think it comes down to this point:

There is no solidarity among the Swiss. Believe it or not everyone is too busy working to try to save his/her own life. People are not open for honest discussions about their working or personal lives. Everything is kept a secret (most typical example is you never ask a swiss about salary income). It basically is a very anonymous, but strictly controlled society where you can earn your good money(if you keep your mouth shut), but there are tons of people who end up miserable in their lives as a result of what the system has done to them!!!!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM

326 posts, read 471,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
You'd think this would be a no-brainer. Maybe those weren't an option for him. He seems to like big cities, too.
Nice is big..ish.. and Monaco is quite densely ppopulated so it feels like a City.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Well this is a topic we could discuss for hours... In the end I think it comes down to this point:

There is no solidarity among the Swiss. Believe it or not everyone is too busy working to try to save his/her own life. People are not open for honest discussions about their working or personal lives. Everything is kept a secret (most typical example is you never ask a swiss about salary income). It basically is a very anonymous, but strictly controlled society where you can earn your good money(if you keep your mouth shut), but there are tons of people who end up miserable in their lives as a result of what the system has done to them!!!!
Please explain. Now we're getting curious about your experience in Switzerland, and your perspective. Sounds fascinating.

btw, I don't know where you were raised, but it's not acceptable in the US to ask someone about their income. I'd hazard a guess that this is pretty common throughout the Western world, and quite likely parts of the East, as well.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know where you were raised, but it's not acceptable in the US to ask someone about their income.
I would tell you what the typical salary rates are for the work I do, but how much *I* make is none of anybodys business ...
I lived and worked there, and never encountered any Swiss person interested in what I earned in Switzerland. They DID want to know how much they could earn in the USA ... !

What I did find was that it was extremely frustrating to work with Swiss people, with me as an American telling them what they HAD to do and HOW ! They were working under American Contract conditions !!
Sorry people you sign on the bottom line, you do what I tell you !

Otherwise, outside the workplace, they were not half bad ...
Kind of run of mill attitude you find all over the world.
Maybe the fact that I do speak the languages spoken there (except Romansch) helped a bit ?
I have no problems with their local dialect at all.
They found it interesting that a *brownface* could converse with them in their local lingo !
Kind of akin, when I worked in England for a while, to converse with an African, who spoke to me with a perfect British accent ! For an an American that is really strange ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe