Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Kind of akin, when I worked in England for a while, to converse with an African, who spoke to me with a perfect British accent ! For an an American that is really strange ...
Why is that strange? Are you not aware that British English is the variant taught in Anglophone Africa? Makes sense, doesn't it? But you're right, "perfect" British accent is unusual unless someone was raised in England. Most English-speaking Africans have an accent from their Native language's influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I would tell you what the typical salary rates are for the work I do, but how much *I* make is none of anybodys business ...
I lived and worked there, and never encountered any Swiss person interested in what I earned in Switzerland. They DID want to know how much they could earn in the USA ... !

What I did find was that it was extremely frustrating to work with Swiss people, with me as an American telling them what they HAD to do and HOW ! They were working under American Contract conditions !!
Sorry people you sign on the bottom line, you do what I tell you !

Otherwise, outside the workplace, they were not half bad ...
Kind of run of mill attitude you find all over the world.
Maybe the fact that I do speak the languages spoken there (except Romansch) helped a bit ?
I have no problems with their local dialect at all.
They found it interesting that a *brownface* could converse with them in their local lingo !
Kind of akin, when I worked in England for a while, to converse with an African, who spoke to me with a perfect British accent ! For an an American that is really strange ...
It seems to me that the problem was you, not the Swiss. I have worked for American companies as well, and some people there, not all of course, had the odd notion that they knew better how to do things than locals. Well, they did not of course. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. If there is a country in Europe where people know how to run things, it is Switzerland, which is why their economy is rock solid, unlike the American one. American companies coming to Europe do so because they want something from Europe, not the other way round. Good companies come here because they want to benefit from the European differences and way of doing things. If an American company considers itself so great, it should just stay in the US and export its finished stuff or whatever.
Also, some Americans have a very hierarchical way of thinking, almost military, which is luckily not the way Europeans think.
I am really happy I am a freelancer, I totally disliked the American companies I used to work for, and I told them when I quit.

Nor does a contract with an American company mean that local laws and regulations do not apply. It is funny, American companies often give me terms and conditions to translate. I do it and take the money, but I don't tell them that those translations are mostly null and void because German law is not American law.

Another thing I noticed in your post, and not only in this post of yours, is the term brown face. At one of the companies I used to work, there was an Indian colleague, also a brown face if you will. He had that huge inferiority complex and tried to compensate for it by being particularly ambitious, the know-it-all type, always trying to be the center of attention and steal other people's moments. Judging from your way of writing you seem to be similar...

Of course black people outside the US speak British Engish, ever listened to a Sade interview? When she sings she uses neutral English, but when she talks, she can't hide her British and Nigerian roots.

Last edited by Neuling; 03-07-2014 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 10,319 times
one more and this thread has been read 2000 times...amazing for such a depressing topic :-)

Old 03-08-2014, 11:17 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdude View Post
one more and this thread has been read 2000 times...amazing for such a depressing topic :-)
I still don't understand why it's depressing. Why do you (personally) find Switzerland depressing to live in?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 AM

don't know just find it interesting to see what people think :-)

Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,275,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissdude View Post
Hi guys,

You guys have an idea what city I should move to next that come close to the exciting places I mentioned above? Thanks for inputs.....
Since boredom seems to be the problem parts of Detroit are pretty exciting. Give it a shot.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Since boredom seems to be the problem parts of Detroit are pretty exciting. Give it a shot.
No pun intended?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
No for real the thread was launched out of curiosity. But for sure there are more relaxing places (people, community etc.) than the one Zurich is. What comes in mind is for example San Diego, CA. Pretty awesome place......

Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
If he is Swiss he can probably not simply move to the US or other countries outside the EU.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If he is Swiss he can probably not simply move to the US or other countries outside the EU.
Maybe...maybe not <:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe