Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:20 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Realistically (as I revive a yr old thread ) what does it take to retire here as an expat? I can still work, as in my 50s (we are), yet speak only bit of German & g/f some French. I visited in '81 & loved it as a young guy. But nowdays as the world has changed alot, I'd consider living permanently there. Ok, I'll await some serious advice though I know this wouldn't be easy.
I think all it takes is a ton of cash.

Lots of rich celebs over the years have chosen Switzerland to live,
Shania Twain for example, money is no problem for her....net worth approx $400 million USD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 04:26 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,281,431 times
Quote:
Realistically (as I revive a yr old thread ) what does it take to retire here as an expat? I can still work, as in my 50s (we are), yet speak only bit of German & g/f some French. I visited in '81 & loved it as a young guy. But nowdays as the world has changed alot, I'd consider living permanently there. Ok, I'll await some serious advice though I know this wouldn't be easy.
The first thing I would check and potential obstacle would be their immigration policy. It's not like you can just go there and live/retire. Switzerland is not part of the EU so even a passport from one of the EU member countries will do you any good.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:21 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times
True to you both. Never thought there'd not be huge impediments. As far as I see, I'd need many yrs left (like 10 plus) to achieve financial status of their ilk. But here's my ?, how do immigrants go w/ no-job, clothes-on-back folks get in -- yet USA folk have a hard time? If Swiss law allows those devoid of income/savings & thus a drain on Swiss resources (I know, liberal politics is voting the politicians in -- thus allowing such a drain on Swiss society), then why would it not rather let self-supporting people in

It makes zero sense to me but the folks voting these people into office, have nothing to their names & so have zero to lose voting to let ANYONE, & even more fiscal drains, in as long as THEIR own self-serving needs are met. I call bs, if so.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:35 PM

To be honest I'm not sure where Switzerland stands in letting refugees in, I would guess that here, too they are more on the strict side. Overall I agree with the sentiment of letting refugees in (which is OK if there us a valid need but make it sooo difficult for people who could sustain themselves. But something that is an issue with immigration throughout most of the world I'd argue.

In any case, back to Switzerland the few people I know either got through a job offer and staying there long enough or by marrying a swiss national.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:38 PM

810 posts, read 668,110 times
I hear the noodles are really good in Pyongyang

Old 07-23-2017, 06:42 PM

321 posts, read 334,364 times
Somewhere spicier.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
To be honest I'm sure where Switzerland stand in letting refugees in, I would guess that here, too they are more on the strict side. Overall I agree with the sentiment of letting refugees in (which is OK if there us a valid need but make it sooo difficult for people who could sustain themselves. But something that is an issue with immigration throughout most of the world I'd argue.

In any case, back to Switzerland the few people I know either got through a job offer and staying there long enough or by marrying a swiss national.
No, re immigrants, thus -- as as long as refugee status is claimed, it is a free for all, as I know this due to a good friend who lives there now (but will relocate due to job soon). It always takes $ to do anything worthwhile & so the Swiss understand this.

But in some cases those left-leaning, bring-anyone-in Swiss (& I mean ANYONE) folks are ruining a once great nation. In my visit/rip in '81 (before most here were born) I saw nothing but US & Canada hockey players w/ me, & the rest were Swiss locals or Frenchies playing us in hockey games.

I'm unsure whether this flavor will ever be equalled & it shows the demise of the world -- & society in general.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I'm unsure whether this flavor will ever be equalled & it shows the demise of the world -- & society in general.
You kind lost me here.
But the last time I was in Switzerland was around 2013 or 2014 I believe. Zurich to be precise. Quite frankly I did see anything which would see alarming.
In any case good luck to you. If I had then money I would also consider a place like Lausanne Switzerland.
As an alternative you can consider Austria. Salzburg is quite nice, too.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
You kind lost me here.
But the last time I was in Switzerland was around 2013 or 2014 I believe. Zurich to be precise. Quite frankly I did see anything which would see alarming.
In any case good luck to you. If I had then money I would also consider a place like Lausanne Switzerland.
As an alternative you can consider Austria. Salzburg is quite nice, too.
By flavor I mean general aura & good-time feeling. It was majestic then but not so now. I think there's no luster anywhere in Europe, as was not the case just 30 yrs ago as luster prevailed. I was there in '81 & never equalled the fun of those days since, period -- anywhere even in the USA as well, so that's for sure.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
By flavor I mean general aura & good-time feeling. It was majestic then but not so now. I think there's no luster anywhere in Europe, as was not the case just 30 yrs ago as luster prevailed. I was there in '81 & never equalled the fun of those days since, period -- anywhere even in the USA as well, so that's for sure.
Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe