Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM

89 posts, read 168,943 times

Advertisements

Its one thing to be stationed there for a few
months, its a different subject to actually
live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
Its one thing to be stationed there for a few
months, its a different subject to actually
live there.
She said he was stationed in an Asian area. Russia's Native nationalities relate well to Black people.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 AM

Only when visiting. Not when
living there for most people of color.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Only when visiting. Not when
living there for most people of color.
Are you talking to me? On what are you basing this statement? Russia's Native people tend to hang out with the African students when they're in university. It makes sense; both groups generally put up with the same cr@p, except nowadays the African students have it a lot worse.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you talking to me? On what are you basing this statement? Russia's Native people tend to hang out with the African students when they're in university. It makes sense; both groups generally put up with the same cr@p, except nowadays the African students have it a lot worse.
Then why was Russian mobs attacking blacks
in the news?

Why is Russia not one of the countries of choice
when most blacks decide to visit another land?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:28 PM

108 posts, read 153,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Maybe this will help:

Russian Nazis On The Rise - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

RUSSIA'S(MOSCOW) RACIST TREATMENT TOWARDS …

AFRO-EUROPE: Video: Black in Russia - harsh life on the ...

I believe that many American Blacks do not have an overwhelming desire to travel to Russia because of the familiarity of brutal racism unlike Africans and other ethnic minorities there
Trust me there not even thinking about racism, its the money...lol

Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Then why was Russian mobs attacking blacks
in the news?

You're not getting it. The context of our little digression here was that someone's son was stationed somewhere in Siberia or a Native area of the Russ. Far East. So we were (I thought) discussing how Siberian Indigenous people relate to Black people, not how Slavic Russians relate to them. Those two things are like night and day.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're not getting it. The context of our little digression here was that someone's son was stationed somewhere in Siberia or a Native area of the Russ. Far East. So we were (I thought) discussing how Siberian Indigenous people relate to Black people, not how Slavic Russians relate to them. Those two things are like night and day.
Oh ok. Siberian Indigenous people are basically
Asians right.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 PM

99 posts, read 570,120 times
Don't listen to a thing anyone says. If I listened to every fear-mongering story of racism, I'd never travel anywhere. Maybe that's why so many black Americans don't. There is no singular "black experience". Russians don't have some collective feeling towards you. Everyone will have different experiences depending on paranoia, age, how friendly they are, whether they are in a big city or small town.

Two rather big determining factors are whether or not you are attractive & whether or not you look affluent. For example, in Italy, the blacks I came across were mostly African. They don't look like me & they were on the outskirts of society, selling their wares and sticking together. I was a well-dressed tourist who was doing the buying. The average Italian could instantly see they had more in common with me.

Some countries are a bit more insular or have a greater deal of poverty, so they are averse to nearly any immigrant, including ones that look like them. Many blacks would interpret it as racism, seemingly clueless that, many times, it has to do with being a foreigner.

So, maybe you will run into issues. Maybe it will be because you're foreign, maybe because of racism, maybe it will be in your head. Bottom line is, everyone (whites included) run into folks who don't care for them. It's not s separate category when it happens to blacks.

If I let the experience of other black people influence my reality, I never would've even tried to catch taxis in NYC. Turns out, I've never had a problem getting a taxi, but tons of blacks will warn you about it all day.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:36 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
For foreigners, the image is not always positive Russia. Putin, cold, lack of diasporas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe