Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,240,239 times

Advertisements

Although I do not rule that isolated cases of racism can be. Fools everywhere much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie101 View Post
Then why was Russian mobs attacking blacks
in the news?

Why is Russia not one of the countries of choice
when most blacks decide to visit another land?

I cannot say that all of Russia is racist considering the experiences that my son had, but at the same time I realize from the news reports and docuementaries that I have seen, some major cities are not safe for minorities at all not just blacks.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormadNYC View Post
Trust me there not even thinking about racism, its the money...lol
What money? I guess that this is a financial protest group

Horrific Documentary on Russian Neo Nazis part 1 - YouTube

Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
Don't listen to a thing anyone says. If I listened to every fear-mongering story of racism, I'd never travel anywhere. Maybe that's why so many black Americans don't. There is no singular "black experience". Russians don't have some collective feeling towards you. Everyone will have different experiences depending on paranoia, age, how friendly they are, whether they are in a big city or small town.

Two rather big determining factors are whether or not you are attractive & whether or not you look affluent. For example, in Italy, the blacks I came across were mostly African. They don't look like me & they were on the outskirts of society, selling their wares and sticking together. I was a well-dressed tourist who was doing the buying. The average Italian could instantly see they had more in common with me.

Some countries are a bit more insular or have a greater deal of poverty, so they are averse to nearly any immigrant, including ones that look like them. Many blacks would interpret it as racism, seemingly clueless that, many times, it has to do with being a foreigner.

So, maybe you will run into issues. Maybe it will be because you're foreign, maybe because of racism, maybe it will be in your head. Bottom line is, everyone (whites included) run into folks who don't care for them. It's not s separate category when it happens to blacks.

If I let the experience of other black people influence my reality, I never would've even tried to catch taxis in NYC. Turns out, I've never had a problem getting a taxi, but tons of blacks will warn you about it all day.

I was in Venice and I remember some Africans in the square selling some knock off watches and purses to the tourist the police can and beat them down like they owned them eventhough there were a group of us watching them. All through my visit (work) in Northern Italy I had no probelm of being treated ill by anyone, even a Gypsy tried to pick pocket my friend like he was anyone else............Wadda a country!

I will admit that whenever a warning is issued to the people of color not to ride buses at night or walk alone, I will take heed because they are for a reason

Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 PM

278 posts, read 277,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I was in Venice and I remember some Africans in the square selling some knock off watches and purses to the tourist the police can and beat them down like they owned them eventhough there were a group of us watching them. All through my visit (work) in Northern Italy I had no probelm of being treated ill by anyone, even a Gypsy tried to pick pocket my friend like he was anyone else............Wadda a country!

I will admit that whenever a warning is issued to the people of color not to ride buses at night or walk alone, I will take heed because they are for a reason
Why would you watching deter the police from doing their job?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
Why would you watching deter the police from doing their job?
Because they do it here in the states:

This is is ridiculous

Man Is Arrested for Filming Cops. Then They Shoot his Dog ...

This is really the norm in black/brown communities

Woman arrested for filming police from home — RT USA

This can be expected in most other neighborhoods

Mass. Man Charged With Wiretapping For Filming Police In ...

Old 03-10-2014, 04:38 AM

251 posts, read 396,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This is pretty ironic because the original Nazis hated Russians, and thought they were sub humans.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:17 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,401 times
Russia and some parts of Eastern Europe have a lot of skin heads who would not hesitate to attack you if you do not look ethnically Slavic or European.

East Asian students in Russia were also victims of this hate crime against them.

My best advice, stay at well lit and crowded sidewalks and do not walk or take the metro or dark streets at night (especially after sporting events).

Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,620,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Russia and some parts of Eastern Europe have a lot of skin heads who would not hesitate to attack you if you do not look ethnically Slavic or European.

East Asian students in Russia were also victims of this hate crime against them.

My best advice, stay at well lit and crowded sidewalks and do not walk or take the metro or dark streets at night (especially after sporting events).
Funny! You're talking about a few cases that the media often exaggerate when it comes to Russia! how many of these cases occur in Europe every day, why not show them? How many such cases in the US, why the news is not advertise? Everything just West beneficial bully people saying that Russia is dangerous! It has always been for centuries. In the years of the Soviet Union, we did not know what racism is. Today, it is not much more. If you'll behave provocatively, then surely for you it will be bad. But, it does not refer to skin color. you cann't cause more interested or smile. But, as we said earlier fools everywhere lacking.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
This is pretty ironic because the original Nazis hated Russians, and thought they were sub humans.
Even more ironic is that Hitler was part Jewish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe