Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 01:52 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Katya said that they have 26 cases in Volgograd. There are 2 sources for the carriers it seems. People coming from Moscow and people returning from overseas. They're keeping real close track of things there.
Volgograd has several military installations in the region and I believe a mechanized regiment in the city. They could easily lock down all the major roads.

When they return from overseas, most of them still return via Moscow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 02:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Why block the main roads ?
To keep people from spreading the disease from city to city. Truck traffic and rail would not be. If things got bad enough it could be done.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:51 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,022,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What "rumors"? What "several thousand patients?"
In Communist China no "thousand patients" would escape from Wuhan after the quarantine was announced.
BUT: 5 million people left Wuhan not knowing that the virus was already there and spreading, because it was the major holidays - the Lunar New Year or whatever it's called.
People went to visit their families, to celebrate elsewhere, to travel around the world and so on.

And that's how the virus started circulating around the globe.

So yes, Moscow needs to get closed, as the major source of infection in the country.
Moscow is not a small city in the desert, where there are two or three highways and that's it. I really hope that the worst scenario will not happen.But even if it does, other measures will be taken. And Yes, in Moscow and the Moscow region with a population of more than 20 million (20,000,000), there are not even 10,000 cases, despite the fact that 160,000 people are under quarantine and more than a million tests have been carried out and the services are not sitting idly by.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:03 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,236,535 times
I think that Moscow is unlikely to be closed because of the coronavirus. It's too expensive. Skip mode is entered in Moscow from Monday. A pass can get on the website of the Moscow or by phone (SMS).

Old 04-11-2020, 03:48 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
I've been watching bloggers from cities throughout Russia and it seems almost all of the people outside Moscow are blaming the Moscovites for not behaving according to the rules.

One guy was rushing to the nearest liquor store to buy beer for his birthday because there's a rumor that they will be shut down due to Russians drinking too much.

I wonder how well that will work.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:44 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
There was an absolutely fascinating segment on today's Russian news.
During this current outbreak they touched on the subject of history of Russian epidemiologists in the past.

This time around they were talking about the Bubonic plague, and one particular Russian doctor L. Soboleva, who ended up devoting her life to the fight with this deadly disease. ( She was born still in Russian Empire, and was dreaming of a career of a ballet dancer in Bolshoy Theater, where she was initially admitted. However her family was vehemently against it, and she ended up being a nurse at the WWI front.)
Then, when she was already a doctor in the Soviet Union, she was sent to Mongolia to fight the Bubonic plague when Mongolian government asked for help.

This is the whole separate page of the story, described in the 1979 Soviet documentary, (I found it on Youtube - fascinating footage.)

However in connection to this, the today's news were referring to a specific episode, when one of the doctors from Saratov's team (A. Berlin) injected himself with the Bubonic plague strain, (while looking for a cure,) and shortly after that he has been called to Moscow for some urgent meeting with top healthcare officials.

He packed his things fast, arrived to Moscow, went to a barber, had a lunch in one of the oldest and fanciest hotels in Moscow, Metropol, and then headed to a meeting with the state officials.

Next day he was laying sick in his bed, in the mentioned above hotel, in the center of Moscow, and L.Soboleva was invited to access his situation.
She asked to move him to the hospital in isolation, since she was suspecting bubonic plague, which it was. Next day Berlin was dead, so was the barber, and now the KGB ( then NKVD) had to quietly find EVERYONE that was in contact with Berlin within the last couple of days and to explain to them the situation.

It was 1939.

P.S. During this episode, the host is touching on a subject of the graves of the victims of the bubonic plague of the 17th century as well, which were discovered in the center of Moscow during construction of a new complex, but this apparently was showed/explained already in the previous shows.

Another interesting thing they showed there was a glimpse into a museum of History of Russian Medicine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kgo3UalknI

Last edited by erasure; 04-12-2020 at 12:04 AM..

Old 04-14-2020, 01:50 PM

https://youtu.be/q1u7XZ9c8fI

Old 04-14-2020, 08:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post

Apparently the Czechs already don't know how to tease us anymore. Another russophobia sh*t.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post

Apparently the Czechs already don't know how to tease us anymore. Another russophobia sh*t.
I laughed at the most exaggerated stereotypes.
And it really reminded me of the city of my childhood...
Music is very cool, every frame is very cool.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:01 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I laughed at the most exaggerated stereotypes.
And it really reminded me of the city of my childhood...
Music is very cool, every frame is very cool.
This is funny to us. But, unfortunately, most Westerners believe this. After all, this video is not made for the Russian audience, but for the Western one. After all, most of them do not understand that these are exaggerated stereotypes, they believe in what they see. And then you and I wonder why they tell us that Russia is poor and there devastation, drunks and bandits. This is called propaganda.

Last edited by Zimogor; 04-15-2020 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe