Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 09:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Grac View Post
Hello! I live in Russia. I am ready to answer all your questions and at the same time to correct my English. Can talk on any topics about Russia, and I think that some of it will be interesting. Ask questions :
I love russian people

what can we do to increase russian immigration to USA ?

How can help to bring Poland Germany and Russia into one economic zone much like ASEAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 06:23 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
How can help to bring Poland Germany and Russia into one economic zone much like ASEAN

I for one hope Poland doesn't want that, so: impossible.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:08 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
New monument in Rhzev, Tver Oblast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 07-04-2020, 02:10 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
New monument in Rhzev. Tver Oblast.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:19 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
I hope you are aware that there is a so-called "BigMac Index", which shows the undervaluation and overvaluation of currencies. So, the cost of a BigMac in the US is $5.67 approximately, and in Russia 135rub. (about $1.9 at the current exchange rate). Based on this, the ruble is a highly undervalued currency. And the exchange rate is kept low for obvious economic reasons. Thus, if the ruble was fully valued, the dollar exchange rate would be 135/5.67=23.81rub.
Let's count how many BigMacs you and I can buy for $ 100?
You can buy 100/5.67=17, and I can buy 100/1, 9=52.
Accordingly, if you recalculate the minimum salary according to the Bigmac index,it will no longer be $ 173, as it is now, but $509. This amount is also not amazing, but it does not look so depressing already.
The problem with your analysis is Big Macs don't cost 5.67 here. They cost less, sometimes much less. So using the highest priced Big Mac I can find in LA (3.99) your minimum wage is $348 a month. Ours is $2,465.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:36 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
+1

Incredible that so many people do not realize that even currently Russians, on average, are better off on many aspect that a vast section of the American populace.
Because its not even remotely true. You're being lied to, and have been since the Tsars. Russian standard of living is shockingly low by our standards.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:38 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The problem with your analysis is Big Macs don't cost 5.67 here. They cost less, sometimes much less. So using the highest priced Big Mac I can find in LA (3.99) your minimum wage is $348 a month. Ours is $2,465.

If I google the price of Big Mac in US ( I have to google it, since I am not familiar with prices there for many-many years,) this is what I see -

Big Mac $3.99 ( plus tax)
Big Mac Meal $5.99 ( plus tax)

Next..
When I think about the rent in US ( plus utilities,) plus car insurance per month, ( and car in the US is a MUST,) these $2, 465 get closer and closer to $348 a month...

Last edited by erasure; 07-04-2020 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-04-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
New monument in Rhzev, Tver Oblast.

Putin is riding a high wave on WWII theme, using it for his political advantage.
That's on one hand.
On another hand, the latest attempts to re-write history coming from the US and some East European countries, brings a wave of indignation in Russians, which is totally understandable.

Hence - one more new and impressive memorial + new amendment to Constitution, that forbids tempering with historic truth. ( One of the most popular amendments as I've already mentioned earlier.)

Old 07-04-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Because its not even remotely true. You're being lied to, and have been since the Tsars. Russian standard of living is shockingly low by our standards.

And speaking of "shockingly low" - what I personally found shocking in the US ( according to Soviet standards, and needless to say after what I saw in Western Europe) - the women working in their latest semester of pregnancy, old people working at McDonald's type of jobs, homeless shelters and the conditions of the "hoods" overall.
So all THIS was shocking for real, I'm telling you..

P.S. Oh, and subway in New-York - that too...

Old 07-04-2020, 10:02 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:

I did not need to being told anything..i saw it with my own eyes....I used to think exactly like you, before moving and living in the US and visiting modern Russia....

US standards of living for a large part of the population are appallingly low....from the supposed #1 country in the world.

The son of one of my wife's client (in order to be client of the firm where my wife works you need to have a net worth of minimum 5 mil, real estate excluded) met a girl from St Petersburg and after visiting each other for a while they decided to get married.

In typical (and i have to say American) ignorant fashion, his family was concerned that she was interested in him "only because she wanted to move to America". She basically said "you are crazy if you think I want to move to the US, you either move here or we will go separate ways".

It has been 4 years since and he absolutely LOVE living in Russia (one child already, another on the way), no need to mention his family is baffled to say the least, typical West Coast wealthy liberal folks that think Russia is bad and Putin is the devil in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe