Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2022, 06:01 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What I see so far, is that Russians conduct a very thorough operation all over the place, with destruction of all the military sites. ( 84 so far?)
What I still don't understand, is how far this operation extends, all over Ukraine or only up to a certain line.
I wonder what DPR and LPR consider to be the proper boundaries for their states. What I don't know is whether they think it should be bigger than what it is now. In that case, now would be the time to enlarge, right? But then the Ukrainians can justifiably see that as an invasion even if DLPR independence is recognized, due to border dispute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 06:56 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I am thunderstruck.

At first I believed Putin would never sacrifice the Oligarchs wealth and stand up for Russia, but he did. At a heavy sacrifice Russia is the only country standing against the wave of western domination.

And not the 'free and democratic' sort of domination, but the sort that funds and protects Nazi war criminals who burn civilians alive to get their way.

The whole world was silent as the junta in Kiev armed terrorist Nazis, bombed civilians, and all under the guise of 'democracy'. Now Russia, at great cost to themselves, have decided to oppose the wave of propaganda that sought to inoculate Europe under the control of a single ideology.

It may cost them their freedom. Putin may yet lose, but despite it all the Russian state has put their foot down. God Bless them.
Seek professional help.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:00 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What I see so far, is that Russians conduct a very thorough operation all over the place, with destruction of all the military sites. ( 84 so far?)
What I still don't understand, is how far this operation extends, all over Ukraine or only up to a certain line.

( Those reports from Ivano-Frankovs yesterday were confusing - since it's the Western Ukraine. Or may be Russians make sure they destroy military infrastructure ALL OVER Ukraine, and they blew up something important in Ivano-Frankovsk too, while they were at that.)
Another thing - I've heard the most intensive fights were still going in the very Eastern part of Ukraine - LDNR/Mariupol direction.

Surprise-surprise, that's where all the nationalist battalions are ( Azov and the rest.)

Now when it comes specifically to Kiev - I think Russians left the "best for lest."
Meaning, we are talking about a lot of potential civilian casualties here, so they will try to avoid this from happening as much as possible.

The ultimate goal is to remove this government - that's what they said over and over, and not to keep troops in Ukraine.

So Russian gov is not in a hurry I imagine, while Zelensky is creating some new "coalitions" from Kiev and is telling Ukrainians that "everything is under control."
Well, what I want to say, guys.. According to reports from the field the main phase of the special operation for the denazification of Ukraine is almost over. Almost the entire military infrastructure of Ukraine has been destroyed. Military airfields, air defense systems, radar stations, headquarters of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Air Force, Navy. The Ukrainian army, basically, either flees or surrenders. Some Nazis continue to resist, but they are simply destroyed. There is a lot of cleanup going on. So, as they say, the concert is over, everyone goes home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I wonder what DPR and LPR consider to be the proper boundaries for their states. What I don't know is whether they think it should be bigger than what it is now. In that case, now would be the time to enlarge, right? But then the Ukrainians can justifiably see that as an invasion even if DLPR independence is recognized, due to border dispute.
The constitutions of the republics state that they exist within the territorial boundaries of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions. I think this will be limited.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:01 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:

OK, there are two different things here at play; what the CURRENT Republics borders are, what they used to be ( back and forth during fighting) and what they SUPPOSED to be now - what they announced them to be officially, when they were creating their republics. And at THAT point ( from what I remember) they were coinciding with the OFFICIAL borders of the Lugansk and Donetsk regions of Ukraine.

I don't claim to remember all the details exactly, since it's all the manipulation by Moscow for 7 years, so this details are not that important, when you keep in mind what he wants NOW, as the end result of it all.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Well, what I want to say, guys.. According to reports from the field the main phase of the special operation for the denazification of Ukraine is almost over. Almost the entire military infrastructure of Ukraine has been destroyed. Military airfields, air defense systems, radar stations, headquarters of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Air Force, Navy. The Ukrainian army, basically, either flees or surrenders. Some Nazis continue to resist, but they are simply destroyed. There is a lot of cleanup going on. So, as they say, the concert is over, everyone goes home.

Is it?
Then I am glad to hear.

( The denazification part is not over yet though - the court day is coming yet. They have at least 400 cases on file - the Investigative committee.)

Quote:
The constitutions of the republics state that they exist within the territorial boundaries of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions. I think this will be limited.
Ah OK, so I remembered correctly then.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:09 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I am thunderstruck.

At first I believed Putin would never sacrifice the Oligarchs wealth and stand up for Russia, but he did. At a heavy sacrifice Russia is the only country standing against the wave of western domination.

And not the 'free and democratic' sort of domination, but the sort that funds and protects Nazi war criminals who burn civilians alive to get their way.

The whole world was silent as the junta in Kiev armed terrorist Nazis, bombed civilians, and all under the guise of 'democracy'. Now Russia, at great cost to themselves, have decided to oppose the wave of propaganda that sought to inoculate Europe under the control of a single ideology.

It may cost them their freedom. Putin may yet lose, but despite it all the Russian state has put their foot down. God Bless them.
So when are you moving to Russia?

Old 02-24-2022, 07:15 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Ah. Ok, understood.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:36 PM

Hang on Zimogor, "limited" as in what?

Old 02-24-2022, 08:10 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
It’s too late to act coy now, Ukraine and the international community at large has recognized this as an invasion in full. So at this point it doesn’t make any sense to go for just the land behind the “ceasefire” line. So I imagine that LNR and DNR are going to take over their entire respective oblasts as stipulated in their constitution. Putin backed this up in his speech. Now as far as the rest of the country I’m not sure. But he obviously has something in mind that theoretically will be worth the risk and severe sanctions he’s taking. From his speeches it sounds like he wants to install a Russia friendly government and turn it into a puppet state, basically a Belarus 2.0. But I’m not sure that’s a good long term plan because what’s going to stop the next Orange Revolution? Perhaps the fact that Putin successfully stopped one in Belarus and Kazakhstan has assured him that he’ll be able to stop the next Maidan.

However one thing I can say is Russia has completely broken all trust, whatever little remains, in Ukraine and the rest of Eastern Europe and world at large. Russia is going to be a pariah state like North Korea, Cuba, Iran and Venezuela for many years now and there will be no way that the younger generations who have no nostalgia for the old soviet days will forgive Russia for this. The only way relations between Ukraine and Russia can be repaired at this point is if the Russian people stand up and protest against the war, otherwise the Russian people will be viewed as being complicit in all of this and whatever causalities await, so even if down the road a new political party comes to power, they will not be let off the hook.

In the short term this might seem like a solid plan, but I fear in the long run this will all backfire on Russia.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
It’s too late to act coy now, Ukraine and the international community at large has recognized this as an invasion in full. So at this point it doesn’t make any sense to go for just the land behind the “ceasefire” line. So I imagine that LNR and DNR are going to take over their entire respective oblasts as stipulated in their constitution. Putin backed this up in his speech. Now as far as the rest of the country I’m not sure. But he obviously has something in mind that theoretically will be worth the risk and severe sanctions he’s taking. From his speeches it sounds like he wants to install a Russia friendly government and turn it into a puppet state, basically a Belarus 2.0. But I’m not sure that’s a good long term plan because what’s going to stop the next Orange Revolution? Perhaps the fact that Putin successfully stopped one in Belarus and Kazakhstan has assured him that he’ll be able to stop the next Maidan.

However one thing I can say is Russia has completely broken all trust, whatever little remains, in Ukraine and the rest of Eastern Europe and world at large. Russia is going to be a pariah state like North Korea, Cuba, Iran and Venezuela for many years now and there will be no way that the younger generations who have no nostalgia for the old soviet days will forgive Russia for this. The only way relations between Ukraine and Russia can be repaired at this point is if the Russian people stand up and protest against the war, otherwise the Russian people will be viewed as being complicit in all of this and whatever causalities await, so even if down the road a new political party comes to power, they will not be let off the hook.

In the short term this might seem like a solid plan, but I fear in the long run this will all backfire on Russia.

Nah.

It all depends what Putin's following policies in Ukraine are going to be.

I asked a guy from Krivoy Rog yesterday ( yet another Russian-speaking town that Zelensky betrayed,) a straightforward question ; "What's worse for you over there - Putin or the Nationalists? What do people think?"
He responded today more or less as I expected; "We don't want Bandera ( the Nationalists) here, but we are not thrilled with Putin either."
( Another thing he mentioned was that with Biden becoming president, the situation became more tense there. Not sure why. Probably will drill him on that one later. )

Meanwhile, speaking of Putin and his latest speeches.. ( he is losing his voice it seems a bit))

I finally figured it out, what his whole speech on decommunisation of Ukraine, that "bad light," that smirk in his eyes reminded me of ( I knew right away he was up to something..)

If this looks familiar to you Grega...

( After all, the Nationalists were constantly taunting him with certain expletives in his address)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_XmxT3lsGE

and then came THIS; ( "Banderlogi" is another name for Bandera followers, (i.e. the Nationalists,) just in case you don't know)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-s0N5EYtjQ

and that's what the look in his eyes during that speech regarding "decommunisation" reminded me of.

P.S. Another thing; Eastern Ukraine gives far more "Soviet nostalgia" feel than Putin's corporate Moscow - I kid you not.

Last edited by erasure; 02-24-2022 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe