Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 12:27 AM

827 posts, read 631,156 times

Advertisements

Is there a real estimation of the deaths on both side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 01:03 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
"Vlad" sounds super silly, how are they gonna call Zelenski anyway - Volod? At least in my country - vladimir = Vladi (usually kids...) and Volodomir - Volodia...

edit: To make it worse - Vladimir = "peace owning" but in russian I bet it's more like "world owning" since mir = world.
In Russian “mir” has two meanings, peace, and world. So Vladimir can be interpreted as either ruler of peace, or ruler of the world, however it originally comes from old Church Slavonic Владимѣръ (Vladiměrŭ) which is a cognate of the German name “ Waldemar” which both mean great ruler.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:20 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
In Russian “mir” has two meanings, peace, and world. So Vladimir can be interpreted as either ruler of peace, or ruler of the world, however it originally comes from old Church Slavonic Владимѣръ (Vladiměrŭ) which is a cognate of the German name “ Waldemar” which both mean great ruler.

I was watching the other day Putin getting heavily mocked for his "Macedonian" views about Old Church Slavonic in a bulgarian tv show. Basically he had said that the russian alphabet comes from the Macedonian lands and the tv host tell him there were 'no mecedonian lands' back then', the actor playing Putin however threatens to kill everyone with his "macedonian wiener" (there was local ad years ago about macedonian revolutionaries fighting for wieners...).

Old 04-05-2022, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I was watching the other day Putin getting heavily mocked for his "Macedonian" views about Old Church Slavonic in a bulgarian tv show. Basically he had said that the russian alphabet comes from the Macedonian lands and the tv host tell him there were 'no mecedonian lands' back then', the actor playing Putin however threatens to kill everyone with his "macedonian wiener" (there was local ad years ago about macedonian revolutionaries fighting for wieners...).
Haha well, to be objective, Cyril and Methodius were born in Mecedonia, that is the Greek Macedonia in Thessaloniki. But yeah the actual script was developed in Veliki Preslav in modern day Bulgaria.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:35 PM

Seems like Vladimir Zhirinovsky past away today? Even Wiki has been updated with his death date. He had Covid so I’m assuming that’s what he died of? I definitely had my disagreements with him, and he probably was bipolar, but he did manage to point out a lot of the rot in Russian politics, though many of his solutions were equally problematic. Will be interesting to see how his party will evolve with him gone now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Zhirinovsky

Old 04-06-2022, 05:23 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Seems like Vladimir Zhirinovsky past away today? Even Wiki has been updated with his death date. He had Covid so I’m assuming that’s what he died of? I definitely had my disagreements with him, and he probably was bipolar, but he did manage to point out a lot of the rot in Russian politics, though many of his solutions were equally problematic. Will be interesting to see how his party will evolve with him gone now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Zhirinovsky
In Soviet Russia, Covid finds cure for Vladimir Zhirinovsky!

Old 04-14-2022, 07:47 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post

I think that if there will an attack a Russian ship, then missiles of all sizes will start flying at such a speed and across all points of Ukraine that everyone will forget about a landing ships...

Oh yes, Russian idiots will not find your shelters.

Oh, yes, Russians dream of harming Ukraine. This is our main goal in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Russia enjoys such overwhelming military superiority that it would not risk an assault before making sure that Ukraine armed forces cease to exist for all intent and purposes.

BWAHAHAHA

Any of these clowns still here dispensing their expertise for the world to see? I lost count of absolute fools and idiots proclaim Russian superiority over Ukraine. Looks like the rot of self delusion of grandeur reached the top of the decision making hierarchy at the Kremlin. My oh my...

Where's Scrat with his Naval expertise that Russian superior technology would defeat Ukrainian anti ship missiles... Saturno should know bettter living in the west that Russia has a potemkin army, but apparently soviet education really was as bad as they say it was.. Actually I don't care, have fun guys.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:52 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
I can't bear to look at this website since I left this summer. I left after visiting Ukraine and realizing how much had changed and how wrong Russians and their useful idiots were on here. Waste of time. Years of their chit posting about Ukraine...Lies about pretty much everything on the ground there.

Probably some don't realize, but the people here doing that were recycling Russian propaganda to what they thought was a western audience like it would change some minds here. None of these are paid bots, the brainwashing is real. And now its the beginning of the end of their beloved "Federation" with Khuilo at top. Sad we have to go through this but its necessary. Have fun guys and Slava Ukraine!

Old 04-14-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I can't bear to look at this website since I left this summer. I left after visiting Ukraine and realizing how much had changed and how wrong Russians and their useful idiots were on here. Waste of time. Years of their chit posting about Ukraine...Lies about pretty much everything on the ground there.

Probably some don't realize, but the people here doing that were recycling Russian propaganda to what they thought was a western audience like it would change some minds here. None of these are paid bots, the brainwashing is real. And now its the beginning of the end of their beloved "Federation" with Khuilo at top. Sad we have to go through this but its necessary. Have fun guys and Slava Ukraine!
I will admit that I never thought Russia would invade, and that western media was just hyping things up, but clearly looking back Russia has been planning this for many years (even if it wasn’t their plan A). It is disturbing that many Russians including some of my family members are still trying to justify the war, and there is nothing I can say to change their mind, stating Russia had no other choice, and that Ukraine had it coming, even though days before the invasion every Russian would say that there was no eminent invasion.

There is obviously nuance as there is with anything, but on this Russia is blatantly in the wrong, even if Ukraine was planning on an offensive on the Donbas republics.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:44 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Abandoned russian hotel at the black sea, I just took the photo minutes ago...would've been better with some seagulls swimming in the pool which they do sometimes - it's ~500 meters from where i live, plenty of abandoned russian property already:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe