Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2022, 04:43 PM

10 posts, read 3,992 times

Advertisements

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ers-Bucha.html

Putin sent central-asian mongols to murder and rape proper europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 05:34 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LokaApple View Post

Killing civilians is nothing to those savages. Raping women is nothing to those savages. Look at what they did in Syria.

Old 04-30-2022, 02:55 PM

48 posts, read 29,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Missiles of all sizes flying at such a speed and across all points of Ukraine in last 50 days.
Let me guess......you're russian.

Old 04-30-2022, 04:15 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Killing civilians is nothing to those savages. Raping women is nothing to those savages. Look at what they did in Syria.

But... what did we do in Syria?

Old 04-30-2022, 05:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LokaApple View Post

I didn't see any Asians in the photos, though I didn't look at all of them. I only saw Russians. And now I'm not able to open your link. Is it still working?

Are you Russian? Nobody uses the nearly 1000-year-old "wild Mongol" stereotype anymore. Give it a rest.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:48 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Absolutely everyone is going to miss the old Russia up to 2021. Of course including who lives over there. Can the War with Ukraine just end already? Russia is such a massive geographic country spanning the Eurasian landmass. So, very dark occurrence. More difficult. Less easy. Especially with foreigners. Lots of other reasons that is a serious worry to the lands of Russia. Why would anyone want to violate Ukraine's own independent sovereignty when that side of Russia IS IN EUROPE. Hello!? The ones in charge are in Moscow of Europe side, and made the entire Continent appear almost drastically lower for no real reason(Already am aware of the Centrist Soviet side facts, Still makes no sense) since just some months ago. The flawed logic is way beyond counterintuitive. Shudder to think what happened to the prospect of Russia visa suspensions, or Russians wanting to visit other countries. Even basic Currency exchange is banned in Russia! Nice cheap Hotels in Russia are going to be fatally bankrupt. The expensive ripoffs even worse!

Last edited by ; 05-01-2022 at 06:12 AM..

Old 05-01-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Absolutely everyone is going to miss the old Russia up to 2021. Of course including who lives over there. Can the War with Ukraine just end already? Russia is such a massive geographic country spanning the Eurasian landmass. So, very dark occurrence. More difficult. Less easy. Especially with foreigners. Lots of other reasons that is a serious worry to the lands of Russia. Why would anyone want to violate Ukraine's own independent sovereignty when that side of Russia IS IN EUROPE. Hello!? The ones in charge are in Moscow of Europe side, and made the entire Continent appear almost drastically lower for no real reason(Already am aware of the Centrist Soviet side facts, Still makes no sense) since just some months ago. The flawed logic is way beyond counterintuitive. Shudder to think what happened to the prospect of Russia visa suspensions, or Russians wanting to visit other countries. Even basic Currency exchange is banned in Russia! Nice cheap Hotels in Russia are going to be fatally bankrupt. The expensive ripoffs even worse!
IMO the government doesn't care about the failure of small businesses. It has never understood the role that small businesses play in the bigger economic picture. Especially if those businesses depend in part on tourism from abroad. The mindset is still stuck in the days of large enterprises. Also, there's still a strong xenophobic streak in elements in the government, who don't care if tourism from the West is cut off. They don't realize, that foreign tourists are one potentially significant contributor to the economic engine in the regional economies across Russia.

This was demonstrated very clearly in the 90's. The Baikal region has tremendous potential for tourism, both on the Buryat side and the Irkutsk side. Alaska Airlines was organizing and sending entire planeloads of tourists twice weekly not only to Khabarovsk and Vladivostok, but all the way to Baikal (via internal Russian flights from the Russ. Far East). Environmental organizations had begun collaborative efforts of various sorts with partners in Ulan Ude, Buryatia, as well as Irkutsk. This had begun to have a positive ripple effect on local economies. Then suddenly, the airport authority in Khabarovsk caused a problem for one of the Alaska flights, holding up its departure. An apparently completely arbitrary action. I can't help but suspect perhaps it was ordered from Moscow. In any case, everything came crashing down. Alaska Air decided they couldn't continue to risk such problems, resulting in tremendous discomfort and inconvenience for their customers. When the Alaska flights stopped, the agreement to allow Aeroflot to serve the same route was cancelled. The End.

Later in the 90's, Germany set up factories in western Russia, then also discovered Baikal. They had tour companies sending people to the area, again--to both sides of the lake. Friends in Ulan Ude told me, there was a noticeable improvement in the standard of living for some of the population. This is the power of tourism to stimulate small local economies. I don't know how long that lasted, but at this point, any international tourism in Russia is dead. It's a lost cause. That is very, very sad.

And foreign investment in Russia is also dead, unless the Chinese want to do it. Factories capitalized by West European companies, oil extraction by Canada, the US, British Petroleum, Royal Dutch Shell, in an instant--a thing of the past, assets seized ("nationalized") by the government. Grocery imports from Finland, home furnishings from Sweden's Idea, history. Scads of passenger planes leased to Russian companies--lost to them forever. I suppose the leadership regards this as a fair exchange for the sanctions imposed, the freezing of funds held in foreign banks. But the point is, that after this experience (and other earlier ones of a similar nature), no one will ever trust Russia again to respect contracts or foreign ownership of equipment or infrastructure installed at considerable expense.

The iron curtain is back, and it's the Russian people who will suffer for it. So much hope for the future, so much progress already made in the right direction, gone overnight.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-01-2022 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-02-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't see any Asians in the photos, though I didn't look at all of them. I only saw Russians. And now I'm not able to open your link. Is it still working?

Are you Russian? Nobody uses the nearly 1000-year-old "wild Mongol" stereotype anymore. Give it a rest.

Ukrainians use. The heyday of Ancient Rus with its capital in Kyiv gradually ended along with a drop in income from the journey from the Varangians to the Greeks. Ancient Rus plunges into the abyss of wars between principalities. In the 12th century, Andrei Bogolyubsky even moved the capital from Kiev to Vladimir on the Klyazma. In the 13th century, the Mongols captured North-Eastern Rus and ruled until the 15th century. Gradually, North-Eastern Rus conquered territory of western part of the Mongol Empire, and then join the Kyiv land back into a single Rus state. But some Ukrainians still believe that Russians have blood purity problems due to Mongol rule in the 13th-15th centuries.

Old 05-02-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IMO the government doesn't care about the failure of small businesses. It has never understood the role that small businesses play in the bigger economic picture. Especially if those businesses depend in part on tourism from abroad.

The number of tourists in Russia in 2019 by country:
China - 1.5 million people.
Germany - 522.2 thousand.
South Korea - 413.6 thousand.
USA - 240 thousand.
Israel - 199 thousand.
I think that most Germany, USA and Israel are kindred visits. China and South Korea are real tourists. My own observations confirm this. I often see the names of tourist sites in Chinese.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
The number of tourists in Russia in 2019 by country:
China - 1.5 million people.
Germany - 522.2 thousand.
South Korea - 413.6 thousand.
USA - 240 thousand.
Israel - 199 thousand.
I think that most Germany, USA and Israel are kindred visits. China and South Korea are real tourists. My own observations confirm this. I often see the names of tourist sites in Chinese.
Good for Germany. But tell me, if you can, what percent or what number of Western tourists (or just USA and Germany will do) traveled outside of the usual locations in Western Russia to Siberia or the Far East?

In any case, those impressive numbers are now history, sadly. I'm waiting to see when the situation will improve, so it will be possible to go again, safely. Like in the old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe