Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 02:38 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Why is Russia still such a sad sack of a country, with all that mineral wealth and without the dual burden of maintaining a communist economy and keeping up with the U.S. in an arms race?

1991 was not a true revolution. Putin, a former KGB official who not only survives but thrives at dictator, proves that.

When will Russia experience a true revolution? Or are the Russian people only really happy when they are under the control of some drooling strongman?
Unfortunately a closer reading of history shows this much to be true. "Strongmen" have been the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 02:39 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Why is Russia still such a sad sack of a country, with all that mineral wealth and without the dual burden of maintaining a communist economy and keeping up with the U.S. in an arms race?

I personally see the reasons in the "liberal market reforms" - the way they were implemented with the help of American economic advisers sitting in Kremlin.

Quote:
1991 was not a true revolution. Putin, a former KGB official who not only survives but thrives at dictator, proves that.

It was.
But that revolution brought to power the group of oligarchs, loyal to the West and American dollars, that's about it.

Quote:
When will Russia experience a true revolution? Or are the Russian people only really happy when they are under the control of some drooling strongman?

After the revolution of the 1991 and devastation that it brought to Russia, I don't think they are looking forward to any other revolution any time soon.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:40 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
It's a huge tragedy, both the past couple of years in Donbas and the very last week all over Ukraine. I'm still trying to figure out the logic though "you killed our child, now we kill yours"...who knows maybe Putin was hoping against all odds that such a massive conflict will avoid any civilian casualties which sounds like something from the far future, it's hardly possible to avoid it in a war, not these days.
Putin was counting on a repeat of Crimea. He was counting on walking in like the Taliban did in Afghanistan. What he got instead was 1979 Afghanistan. He counted wrong.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:40 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,420 times
And I will continue. after the ultimatum. NATO decided to punish Russia. Oh, are you so obstinate? Well, we will arrange a second Afghanistan for you. Hold on.
The scheme is primitive.
an order has been given, almost the entire Ukrainian army is being pulled together in the south-east of Ukraine, there are increased supplies of weapons, a large massacre is being prepared. And at the same time, the screaming starts everywhere. Oh! Russia will attack, it will attack! And at the same time, the shelling of Donbass has been brazenly intensified (here the West is blind, does not see).
How did you know? well, they planned the massacre themselves, that's why they knew.Naturally, Russia would not allow a second round of carnage. According to the plans of the West, they had to enter the Donbass with protection and get a protracted positional war. How wonderful and convenient. And they hedged their bets. so that it would be true ? Well, it's not for nothing that they shouted about the attack..

That's how it turns out. Not too difficult. Really?
That's my opinion.

This is very briefly.For the local public))

Old 02-28-2022, 02:42 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Do you mean that we need to lie down under the USA ? After all, everyone knows that only rulers loyal to the West. they are legitimate and democratic.It doesn't matter how much blood they shed to come to power. The main thing is loyalty.

Otherwise, the SNN and others will start spewing fountains of dirt and moans about the dictatorship..
Just a gas station that serves vodka. Can't you do anything else?

Ask any Westerner what comes from Russia. The answers are vodka and go-go dancers. Not automobiles, not smart phones, not electronics, not medical equipment, not even plastic crap the most primitive Chinese factory churns out.

I would think if Russia had national pride they would want to build things, instead of destroying what others (i.e. Ukraine) have built in their own country.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Ask any Westerner what comes from Russia. The answers are vodka and go-go dancers. Not automobiles, not smart phones, not electronics, not medical equipment, not even plastic crap the most primitive Chinese factory churns out.

I would think if Russia had national pride they would want to build things, instead of destroying what others (i.e. Ukraine) have built in their own country.
But, to the Western man in the street, they will not show anything else. Only these are not Russia's problems, but the myopia and incompetence of the Western man in the street.
If you study Russia from Western films and Western media. these are your problems. and you know absolutely nothing and don't want to know about Russia.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:

And yes. And what has Ukraine built in 30 years ? Can you name something ?

Old 02-28-2022, 02:51 PM

Okay, I'm going to bed. All these sketches of your organic substances on the fan, in the style of creepy Putin, the country gas station, vodka, balalaika, and what else is there and so on and so forth...incredibly dull.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:51 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
And I will continue. after the ultimatum. NATO decided to punish Russia. Oh, are you so obstinate? Well, we will arrange a second Afghanistan for you. Hold on.
The scheme is primitive.
an order has been given, almost the entire Ukrainian army is being pulled together in the south-east of Ukraine, there are increased supplies of weapons, a large massacre is being prepared. And at the same time, the screaming starts everywhere. Oh! Russia will attack, it will attack! And at the same time, the shelling of Donbass has been brazenly intensified (here the West is blind, does not see).
How did you know? well, they planned the massacre themselves, that's why they knew.Naturally, Russia would not allow a second round of carnage. According to the plans of the West, they had to enter the Donbass with protection and get a protracted positional war. How wonderful and convenient. And they hedged their bets. so that it would be true ? Well, it's not for nothing that they shouted about the attack..

That's how it turns out. Not too difficult. Really?
That's my opinion.

This is very briefly.For the local public))
Well Putin refused to talk with the Ukrainian leader. Perhaps if Putin set time and meet with the Ukrainian leader before all this mess with the Russian invasion then all this mess now would not have happened.

Putin is a bully and he knows it, and since there is no easy victory in sight he has used nuclear weapon blackmail because he is not getting what he wants. As the war drags on and more and more Russian troops die and are injured, and bodies sent back to their families as well as the disabled Russians who lost legs, arms, etc opposition to Putin in Russia will grow. But he has threatened the world with nuclear war. I bet even Switzerland and Finland are now targets of Russia nuclear bombers, even though they have never been part of NATO because they support Ukraine and giving them assistance.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:12 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
The Russian spy and I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au5DZPpQv2M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe