Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 11:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The sausage and potato pelmini I was addicted to was produced in Finland. There was a Finish flag on the package. Maybe the Finns stole it from Russians?

I think the recipe is quite common actually. The other brands, Belorussian and Russian were excellent too but the stuff made in Finland used the golden potatoes which have a better flavor. IMO.
Likely something a Finnish company producing only for the Russian market, because that dish is unheard of in Finland. Ravioli is the only thing we know of, and that is obviously Italian. Putting a Finnish flag on anything is beneficial in Russia, as it's a sign of quality. How could the Russians know what we eat here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 11:36 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Likely something a Finnish company producing only for the Russian market, because that dish is unheard of in Finland. Ravioli is the only thing we know of, and that is obviously Italian. Putting a Finnish flag on anything is beneficial in Russia, as it's a sign of quality. How could the Russians know what we eat here?
Do a google search for Pelmini and Finland. I just did and the hits were astronomical in number ffs. Maybe it's Finns catering to a bunch of Russian invaders or something.

As for the pelmini I have to do some research at Marvel food and deli tomorrow. I ate just about everything made over there and I'm probably mixing up names. My favorite thing looks like pelmini but has potato in it. From what I see its bigger than pelmini.

Alright. My mistake, its piroshkis. Not pelmini.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Do a google search for Pelmini and Finland. I just did and the hits were astronomical in number ffs. Maybe it's Finns catering to a bunch of Russian invaders or something.

As for the pelmini I have to do some research at Marvel food and deli tomorrow. I ate just about everything made over there and I'm probably mixing up names. My favorite thing looks like pelmini but has potato in it. From what I see its bigger than pelmini.

Alright. My mistake, its piroshkis. Not pelmini.
Aaaah, ok, now I get it. Lihis/pasteija! Yes those we have in abundance.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Nope. What I ate all the time was like a larger Pelmini with potato and meat. Boiled or fried not baked. I think I'm mixing things up. I need to go to the store.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:36 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
Nope. What I ate all the time was like a larger Pelmini with potato and meat. Boiled or fried not baked. I think I'm mixing things up. I need to go to the store.
I'm telling you, you're thinking of Vareniki
https://www.google.com/search?q=vare...w=1455&bih=688

This is Piroshki
https://www.google.com/search?biw=14....0.2g2sPa6O_lE

and this is Pelmeni
https://www.google.com/search?biw=14....0.bZJXsEslgq4

Old 11-19-2017, 12:48 PM

651 posts, read 415,812 times
The Russians eat a few dishes about those we can say: "It's a stuffing with a shell of dough. Boil them before eat".
- Pelmini. Stuffing is meat with onion. Size is 2-5 cm. It came to Russia from Finn-Ugric nations or from Ural.
- Vareniki. Stuffing - berries (often cherries), cottage cheese, potatoes. Vareniki are bigger than pelmini usually (about 7 cm) and less popular in Russia than pelmini. I consider vareniki are loved in Ukraine rather. Vareniki is a Slavic dish.
- Khinkali. Stuffing consists more flavoring than pelmini. Khinkali is a Georgian dish.
- Manti. They are bigger than pelmini (about 7 cm). If you have eaten about two or three ones you are full. Stuffing is fat meat. Manti is an Asian dish.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Quote:

Pasteija? Sounds Portuguese. Are there any Brazilians in Finland?

Old 11-19-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Pasteija? Sounds Portuguese. Are there any Brazilians in Finland?
It's a loan from Italian pasticcio.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:22 PM

617 posts, read 538,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
I'd like to go through Russia by transsiberial railway some day . Is someone from Russia oriented what is the cost of such excursion ?
From Moscow to Vladivostok, departs on December 1st, 6 days travel time:
1st class: 971 USD
3rd class: 262 USD

https://www.transsiberianexpress.net...ate=01.12.2017

Enjoy!

Old 11-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I stand corrected. Vareniki it is/was. Getting old is a pain. When you reach the point you know everything you have to start deleting stuff in your head to make room for learning. Some useful things get tossed out by mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe