Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 02:55 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Hey, do you consider yourself to be "white"?
Oh, I understood the question. This is a funny phenomenon in self-determination . Yes, I consider myself white. In the understanding of Russians, all Russians are white. If you have dark eyes, dark skin and black hair, but you were born in Russia, speak Russian and consider yourself Russian, then you are white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 03:03 AM

+ But this is territorial dependence. White skin better captures ultraviolet, which is necessary in the North.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:45 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Do you understand the difference between bombing of military facilities (with peaceful casualties, unfortunately) and bombing of residential cities?

When troops storm a city, they:
1. provide a challenge to civilians.
2. artillery preparation (with peaceful casualties, unfortunately).
3. storming a city.

The bombing of Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki (and other cities) were not troops military operations. These were acts of intimidation and revenge. In the 21st century terrorists do so.

Therefore, I do not understand when someone makes a claim to Russian for Stalin. It was a different time.
21st century morality can't be compared to what happened 70 years ago as all the major world powers bombed cities and then the media was not so much in your face, or live coverage through TV or the internet was unheard of. If there was live coverage of war in front of your TV everyday, just like Vietnam, then the war would have turned out differently.

The US government also used the Nuclear Bomb in order to impress the Soviets and to strive to prevent the Soviet Expansion in Asia, just like what happened in Eastern Europe with the Soviet Expansion. However the Soviet Government through it's spy's all knew of the development of the Nuclear bomb throughout the Manhattan Project. Also the US wanted a quick end to this conflict and they knew the Soviets would enter the war against Japan, as the Soviets wanted a big slice of the victory.

Actually Hiroshima did not get the deadly firebombing attacks like Tokyo did earlier in the year of 1945 which much more destroyed Toyko. Yet the people of Hiroshima expected trouble as it was a major military center.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
But the law will allow them to be imprisoned if they continue to go to an old people and break their brains.
Well then the old people could be weak minded there. Not so in my part of the world, as there are elderly people willing to speak their mind if they encounter Jehovah Witnesses, and the elderly people are less likely to be politically correct than the younger generation.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
21st century morality can't be compared to what happened 70 years ago
I tried to show it.

Quote:
as all the major world powers bombed cities.
Which cities were destroyed by a bombing of the USSR without capture by troops?

Old 02-01-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
And how many lives he saved when the Soviet Union won the war? What would have happened if the Soviet Union had lost?
The Soviet Union Won the War not due to Stalin, but in spite of Stalin. Stalin Purged his military, and in the first few months when the Nazis invaded, they won easy victories. In addition the Soviet Union invasion of Finland did not go as anticipated, even though the Soviets vastly outnumbered the Finns in troops. The Soviets suffered heavy losses and were much higher than the Finns.

The people of the Soviet Union joined in the Great Patriot War, due to brutality the Nazis inflicted on the Soviet Civilians, and the treatment of Soviet prisoners of War, which was far worst than the prisoners of War of the British, Canadians and Americans.

Also what helped the Soviets was the aid it received from the British Commonwealth, and Americans.

Much of the foreign aid was from the British.

The wartime diaries of N. I. Biriukov, a Red Army officer responsible from August 1941 on for the distribution of recently acquired tanks to the front lines, this newly available evidence paints a very different picture from the received wisdom. In particular, it shows that British Lend-Lease assistance to the Soviet Union in late 1941 and early 1942 played a far more significant part in the defense of Moscow and the revival of Soviet fortunes in late 1941 than has been acknowledge
Did Russia Really Go It Alone? How Lend-Lease Helped the Soviets Defeat the Germans | HistoryNet

The British were willing to aid the Soviets then as previously the British bore the brunt of the Nazis in Western Europe and North Africa. Churchill was an staunch anti Communist, even so Churchill stated: “If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.”

The Americans aided the Soviets with trucks which helped bring the troops fast to the front, but it was also used in the deportation of Chechyans, Volga Germans. etc. Russia's Life-Saver: Lend-Lease Aid to the U.S.S.R. in World War II (Book Review) | HistoryNet

Old 02-01-2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Well then the old people could be weak minded there. Not so in my part of the world, as there are elderly people willing to speak their mind if they encounter Jehovah Witnesses, and the elderly people are less likely to be politically correct than the younger generation.
Old people are different. And any state must protect them if necessary.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
The Soviet Union Won the War not due to Stalin, but in spite of Stalin.
This is a piece of propaganda. And I already read it here yesterday. It is nonsense. It is stupidity to deny role of a leader during a war.

Quote:
Stalin Purged his military, and in the first few months when the Nazis invaded, they won easy victories. In addition the Soviet Union invasion of Finland did not go as anticipated, even though the Soviets vastly outnumbered the Finns in troops. The Soviets suffered heavy losses and were much higher than the Finns.
Stalin destroyed old soldiers (command staff) of the Civil War. They were mostly old revolutionaries and their supporters. They did not respect Stalin and can betray him.

Quote:
The people of the Soviet Union joined in the Great Patriot War, due to brutality the Nazis inflicted on the Soviet Civilians, and the treatment of Soviet prisoners of War, which was far worst than the prisoners of War of the British, Canadians and Americans.

Also what helped the Soviets was the aid it received from the British Commonwealth, and Americans.

At the early stages of when the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union, much of the foreign aid was from the British,

The wartime diaries of N. I. Biriukov, a Red Army officer responsible from August 1941 on for the distribution of recently acquired tanks to the front lines, this newly available evidence paints a very different picture from the received wisdom. In particular, it shows that British Lend-Lease assistance to the Soviet Union in late 1941 and early 1942 played a far more significant part in the defense of Moscow and the revival of Soviet fortunes in late 1941 than has been acknowledge
Did Russia Really Go It Alone? How Lend-Lease Helped the Soviets Defeat the Germans | HistoryNet

The British were willing to aid the Soviets then as previously the British bore the brunt of the Nazis in Western Europe and North Africa. Churchill was an staunch anti Communist, even so Churchill stated: “If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.”

The Americans aided the Soviets with trucks which helped bring the troops fast to the front, but it was also used in the deportation of Chechyans, Volga Germans. etc. Russia's Life-Saver: Lend-Lease Aid to the U.S.S.R. in World War II (Book Review) | HistoryNet
1. I do not dispute the help of the allies.
2. The help was not free. Russia end paid the Lend-Lease only in 21st century.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I tried to show it.

Which cities were destroyed by a bombing of the USSR without capture by troops?
Well Helsinki was heavily bombed, however the Finns did not do the same with the Soviets and bombed their cities and never did during the war. Finland eventually resorted to bombing its air bases that were used in the bombing of Helsinki.

Actually Stalin wanted and expected Helsinki to be destroyed. However when it was not to be:
When Soviet General Andrei Zhdanov arrived in Helsinki to observe Finnish compliance with the cease-fire terms, he was astounded to see how little damage had been inflicted on the city. Stalin was enraged when he heard this and the only reason Air Marshal Aleksandr Golovanov got to keep his head was because he was still needed in the fight against Germany. He was, however, demoted after the warhttps://owlcation.com/humanities/Wor...ainst-Helsinki

Old 02-01-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
This is a piece of propaganda. And I already read it here yesterday. It is nonsense. It is stupidity to deny role of a leader during a war.

Stalin destroyed old soldiers (command staff) of the Civil War. They were mostly old revolutionaries and their supporters. They did not respect Stalin and can betray him.

1. I do not dispute the help of the allies.
2. The help was not free. Russia end paid the Lend-Lease only in 21st century.
Actually it was the Soviet, esp the Russian people and the masses of people that did defeat Nazi Germany.

In my country Australia I look to the Australian troops, navy and air force much more so than the so called role in who was Prime Minister in my country, in its help to defeat the Axis in WW2.

I am aware lots of Russians are pro Stalin, and it depends on who you talk to. The young people that never experienced Stalin, can be supportive of him, and those the ones that lived through Stalin that did not experience the gulags, or they believed all the propaganda of the way Stalin portrayed himself. The see that during his regime, it resulted in the Soviet Union to be a superpower.

Yet Stalin daughter fled to India and later to the West a few years after Stalin death. After all Stalin did forbid her marrying a man she loved, and he was sent in exile in Siberia and died. With that it did contribute to her resentment to him.

There were masses of people that fled from Stalin regime, or people countries that were occupied by the Soviet Union after WW2 to the West and there are still survivors there and there is no way a large majority would state that Stalin was evil.

Putin wants to emulate Stalin, as after all Putin was part of the KGB and his role was involved in crushing political opponents.

Last edited by other99; 02-01-2018 at 06:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe