Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 08:24 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Shortly after the coup yes. Then when the Russians came for Crimea, Russian flags nearly disappeared. By the time guys were going off to war to fight Russians and seperatists that summer, nobody in Ukraine flew Russian flags unless it was to burn it. This should be obvious but people don't fly the flag of their enemy. Apparently you want to believe that deep down inside, Russian speaking Ukrainians in the east want Putin to invade but I can assure you, that's the opposite of reality and would be a deadly mistake for any Russian foolish enough to act on that idea.
Yeah right. First they were waving Russian flags, being proud of their heritage, but as soon as Russia took its Crimean population back , they removed those flags in shame.
Oh the fairy-tails you keep on telling here non-stop...

The real reason Russian flags disappeared with time was that people were beaten up and persecuted for them - you could see it on Youtube, the witnessing of it.

Quote:
Some people switched to Ukrainian from their native Russian as a matter of national pride. That's why you hear funny sounding Ukrainian dialects there now. I heard them too. I can tell because its kind of mixed. I had to ask one friend to please speak Russian like she used to because I don't understand Ukrainian at all and she didn't even realize that an American wouldn't know both languages (duh). I never heard Ukrainian spoken in Odessa though but I believe you if you say you did. Perhaps you are assuming western Ukrainians moved to the east now, which is hilarious that they would move from the nicer part of the country to the bad part.
Oh boy...
No, it's not "funny-sounding Ukrainian dialects there" - this is downright the dialect of totally different regions. What these people are doing there - whether they are bussed in Odessa from somewhere else, or they are literally resettled - that I don't know.
I only know that the person who is talking behind the scene - this is Odessa's Russian, the way I remember it (they usually sound distinctly different from us, Moscovites - the whole Eastern Ukrainian region, and the natives of Odessa sound even more specific.)
You might not understand all these nuances, no matter what you claim, but I sure do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rdRnHnpiiE

This was an older video of course, but you can hear it here as well ( I have no idea why these idiots are trying to disrupt some meeting in the city administration.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrD54Gpxunw

and here it's all the same.
So the conflict between the Russian-speaking Odessa and these morons arriving there from god knows what regions ( they clearly sound different) keeps on simmering, contradicting your constant "kumbaya"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxOT9YjiLQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Trump is booting out some Russian diplomats Monday.

Just noise...

Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
When I said that Russia is shackled to the past, I meant that they haven't come to terms with their past actions. The Soviet period and the actions of Stalin remain major points of contention.

Not even close as to the Japanese...Soviet style communism is pretty much disregarded in Russia (current Communist party proposed policies would make Gorbachev look like a staunch conservative communist and they get barely more than 10% of the votes anyway.).
Stalin is almost universally recognized as a tyrant (including by Putin)...you may have few dying nostalgic here and there but that's pretty much all.

Putin considers the collapse of the Soviet Union one of the major humanitarian tragedy in the last century in terms of territorial integrity and the hardship that followed not because Communism was something worth to be saved, to the contrary......he is adamant about the mistakes of the Soviet regime and he claimed many times that it should have been heavily reformed (and eventually dismantled) much much earlier nor he advocated a "Chinese solution" (market reform but with the old political structure in power).....the system collapsed too quickly leading to instability,something even most of the Western scholars agree.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:19 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Not even close as to the Japanese...Soviet style communism is pretty much disregarded in Russia (current Communist party proposed policies would make Gorbachev look like a staunch conservative communist and they get barely more than 10% of the votes anyway.).
Stalin is almost universally recognized as a tyrant (including by Putin)...you may have few dying nostalgic here and there but that's pretty much all.

Putin considers the collapse of the Soviet Union one of the major humanitarian tragedy in the last century in terms of territorial integrity and the hardship that followed not because Communism was something worth to be saved, to the contrary......he is adamant about the mistakes of the Soviet regime and he claimed many times that it should have been heavily reformed (and eventually dismantled) much much earlier nor he advocated a "Chinese solution" (market reform but with the old political structure in power).....the system collapsed too quickly leading to instability,something even most of the Western scholars agree.
Well I never said that Putin was a fan of the SU's economic model. What he likes is the sense of power that comes with it.

Communism may have been a good idea under Marx, but the SU bastardized his ideas.

What I said about the Japanese is that they haven't cone to terms with their actions during WW2. Many of their convicted criminals are still worshipped as war heroes.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I've done the math, Ramjets are launched from planes because they can't produce enough thrust from a standing still position. That limits their usefulness to being able to launch from a plane. We can deny Russian aircraft from NATO airspace so this missile is not a big threat to anyone outside of the Baltic states.

Europe is safe and sound under the NATO nuclear shield.

I do doubt its effectiveness and your ability to evaluate stand off weapons systems.

LOL

Exclusive: The Pentagon Is Preparing New War Plans for a Baltic Battle Against Russia

But the really troubling thing is that in the war games being played, the United States keeps losing.

Exclusive: The Pentagon Is Preparing New War Plans for a Baltic Battle Against Russia – Foreign Policy

U.S. Official: Russia Could Defeat NATO in Less Than 3 Days

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...o-in-60-hours/

Old 03-24-2018, 10:55 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
LOL

Exclusive: The Pentagon Is Preparing New War Plans for a Baltic Battle Against Russia

But the really troubling thing is that in the war games being played, the United States keeps losing.

Exclusive: The Pentagon Is Preparing New War Plans for a Baltic Battle Against Russia – Foreign Policy

U.S. Official: Russia Could Defeat NATO in Less Than 3 Days

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...o-in-60-hours/
How exactly would Russia defeat NATO in less than 3 days?

The US is the strongest nation on Earth with an arsenal of 10 Trident nuclear submarines, not to mention the largest fleet of Aircraft carriers.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:45 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Quote me the whole paragraph please...
It is title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Russian Folk or classical music/art?

If you want to be specifically Russian oriented I'd go with Russian Musical Art.
Yes, yes, yes! I think it's ideal! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
"Music that represents Russian artistic & cultural values?" or "artistic and cultural values of Russia"?
It must be short caption.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:46 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Nuclear missiles. Russia and NATO will be dead.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:

The US is the strongest nation on Earth with an arsenal of 10 Trident nuclear submarines, not to mention the largest fleet of Aircraft carriers.

Ask the experts and read the articles.....I'm not the one saying that....Russia has impressive conventional forces in Europe....Aircraft carriers are quickly becoming the battleships of the 21st century...they are ok to scare off and contain someone like Saddam, Gaddafi and other ragtag regimes but many experts consider them very expensive sitting ducks in case of intense and sustained attack from a major power especially in a theater of operation close to such power....Russian military brass and strategists have made abundantly clear that in case of a major local conventional clash with a major power, the very first move would be to quickly turn carriers and cruisers into useful marine wildlife habitat.

Russia does not even want (or need) a big blue water navy (other than fast, highly manoeuvrable attack submarines already in service and others being in development) since it has no world hegemony/policing aspiration (the same can be said about China).

"When a Chinese Submarine Appeared In The Middle Of A Carrier Battle Group"

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/his...tle-group.html

Poof! Here your carrier goes down....

Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Nuclear missiles. Russia and NATO will be dead.
No, they are talking conventional forces...granted, the guy was exaggeration for sure to try to make a point....still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe