Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 01:53 PM

651 posts, read 415,812 times

Advertisements

We can see the scale of American help to the USSR in Wikipedia. I think the question "Was the Lend-Lease decisive for the victory?" incorrect. Why must we count tons, pieces and money like accountants? There is a proverb in Russia: "Russia has the generous soul". Everyone in Russia knows about Willys jeeps and the famous Soviet rocket launchers on the chassis of Studebaker.

https://cs9.pikabu.ru/post_img/big/2...3110373123.jpg
https://pikabu.ru/story/pamyatnik_le...rossii_5348284

Besides the war technic the USA delivered to the USSR the food: egg powder, canned meat, chocolate. Many lives both civil and in the front were saved in the result.

The soldiers named American canned meat "the Second front". They could use the canned meat in different ways. One of them was called "Kulesh". They boiled water and laid millet, potatoes, pepper, onion and canned meat in it. Probably the tank crews ate this thick soup in the early morning of the 5th of July 1943 before Kursk battle.
https://3d-shka.livejournal.com/3544815.html

I saw a Russian documentary movie about Sherman tank. There were some troubles with chassis but Soviet mechanics add rubber sleeves and the problem was solved. The Soviet tank men considered these tanks very comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 05:32 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_deal_maker View Post
We can see the scale of American help to the USSR in Wikipedia. I think the question "Was the Lend-Lease decisive for the victory?" incorrect. Why must we count tons, pieces and money like accountants? There is a proverb in Russia: "Russia has the generous soul". Everyone in Russia knows about Willys jeeps and the famous Soviet rocket launchers on the chassis of Studebaker.

https://cs9.pikabu.ru/post_img/big/2...3110373123.jpg
https://pikabu.ru/story/pamyatnik_le...rossii_5348284

Besides the war technic the USA delivered to the USSR the food: egg powder, canned meat, chocolate. Many lives both civil and in the front were saved in the result.

The soldiers named American canned meat "the Second front". They could use the canned meat in different ways. One of them was called "Kulesh". They boiled water and laid millet, potatoes, pepper, onion and canned meat in it. Probably the tank crews ate this thick soup in the early morning of the 5th of July 1943 before Kursk battle.
https://3d-shka.livejournal.com/3544815.html

I saw a Russian documentary movie about Sherman tank. There were some troubles with chassis but Soviet mechanics add rubber sleeves and the problem was solved. The Soviet tank men considered these tanks very comfortable.
Agreed, LL saved many Russian lives in all walks of life. There was also the average Russians knowledge of the natural resources around him. Russians have never been so far from the land that they would starve on a beach or shiver squatting on a ledge of coal like your average westerner.

One thing I noticed in a lot of markets was some of the stuff available that was natural. Crayfish for instance. Americans rarely eat them but in Russia you find them by the tub full. Russian soldiers knew how to get them along with fish from the streams and lakes all around them. Mushrooms, berries and wild vegetables were abundent in the summer time. The Germans were impressed by the Russian soldiers ability to feed himself.

I like your attempt at propaganda concerning the Spam and Sherman. It was called "Second Front" for a reason. It was held in contempt and called that in a cynical sense because the allies kept putting off opening a second front. Not that it was practical for them to do it.

The problem with the Shermans were the Sherman M4E3 "Easy Eight" was not the chassis, it was the road wheels and the rubber "tires". in a hot climate like southern Ukraine on rough terrain with a high rate of advance per day the rubber heated, softened, collapsed and came off the wheels leaving nothing between the metal track and road wheel. That rubber tire is why it was called the "Easy Eight". They Russians had to pull most of the Shermans from front line duty because of this or simply abandon them to be fixed at a later time. With the rubber gone the vibration played havoc with the gun sights of the tank and the alignment of the gun. Credit is due though that Russian tankers loved the Sherman because it was a much more comfortable machine to ride in than a T-34. It was not up to the rigors of the Russian front however. It also had a much higher profile than the T-34 which the German PAK gunners liked just as much.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:48 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Crayfish for instance. Americans rarely eat them but in Russia you find them by the tub full. Russian soldiers knew how to get them along with fish from the streams and lakes all around them.
*sigh*

Old 08-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Another video from TIK. It's about the civilian population of Stalingrad, a subject rarely touched on by historians. Starting at about some 9 minutes you can see the evidence of Ukrainian Hiwis (GLORY TO THE HEROS!!!) who aided the Nazi military police and Einsatzgruppen. They marched civilians out of Stalingrad at the rate of 10,000 a day, on foot in the cold and rain. Old people, women (pregnant women) and children. Little food and no shelter or medicine was provided. If they made it to the processing station in the Rostov area they entered into slavery.

This video is DISTURBING. You are warned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e5FhRDRAZPw

If you wonder why the people of Donetsk and Lugansk are fighting so hard today keep in mind that Stalingrad was not the only city occupied by the German army. Kharkov was little better off as were most others. Nazi sympathizers (GLORY TO THE HEROS!!) were deeply involved. It has scarred generations.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
*sigh*
You were saying?

Old 08-21-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signor Asparagus View Post
Somewhere in Siberia (pic is from pikabu)

More please.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:18 PM
DKM

Quote:
You were saying?
I'm saying Americans eat more "crayfish" than anyone else in the world. By far. Probably best to leave the comparisons to those with a better handle on facts instead of alternative ones.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 PM
DKM

Quote:
Another video from TIK. It's about the civilian population of Stalingrad, a subject rarely touched on by historians. Starting at about some 9 minutes you can see the evidence of Ukrainian Hiwis (GLORY TO THE HEROS!!!) who aided the Nazi military police and Einsatzgruppen. They marched civilians out of Stalingrad at the rate of 10,000 a day, on foot in the cold and rain. Old people, women (pregnant women) and children. Little food and no shelter or medicine was provided. If they made it to the processing station in the Rostov area they entered into slavery.
You're presenting a youtube propagandist speaking as "evidence" that Ukrainians were murdering Russian civilians? This is similar to the mindset that Putin's TV was pushing in 2014 Ukraine that somehow Nazi's were in charge in Kiev and its time to fight the authorities. Uh, no. Funny you should mention Rostov, fertile recruiting ground for Germans in the war (hmm I wonder why). I know some of their decedents, not exactly fans of Stalin or the USSR.

Quote:
If you wonder why the people of Donetsk and Lugansk are fighting so hard today keep in mind that Stalingrad was not the only city occupied by the German army. Kharkov was little better off as were most others. Nazi sympathizers (GLORY TO THE HEROS!!) were deeply involved. It has scarred generations.

Your rhetoric to murder people defending their land from Russians because of some parts of a war 80 years ago is delusional. How about the people of Donetsk who are fighting on the side of Ukraine's army? They also remember the invasion and view the Russians as the Nazi's this time around, and have no qualms about putting them into the ground over there. Ain't war grand, at least it reduces Ukraine's problem with the eastern people voting for Putin aligned mafia.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You are again responding to an argument I did not make. Its called a Straw Man. Depending on my mood, I may not take the time to explain it to you...but I Kazakhstan's current oil infrastructure is not from Russians. I'm glad they used to pump oil 50 years ago thanks to "Russians"
Oh I see, we are moody on top of everything else?
Let me gently whisper something to you on a subject; may be ( just may be) it will put you in a better mood;

"Kazakhstan's pipeline system is operated by the state-run KazTransOil, a subsidiary of KazMunaiGas, which runs approximately 3,400 miles of pipelines. Because of Kazakhstan's landlocked location and the continued use of Soviet-era infrastructure, much of Kazakhstan's oil and gas export infrastructure is integrated with major Caspian oil and natural gas export routes that interlink the region. "

PIPELINES AND EXPORT ROUTES FROM KAZAKHSTAN | Facts and Details

See? Your happiness matters when it comes to Kazakhstan.

Quote:
Forgive me for assuming you resemble the dead war criminal in your profile.
You've been forgiven for bigger absurdities around here I suppose, so why break local traditions now?

Old 08-21-2018, 08:34 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Kazakhstan's pipeline system is operated by the state-run KazTransOil, a subsidiary of KazMunaiGas, which runs approximately 3,400 miles of pipelines. Because of Kazakhstan's landlocked location and the continued use of Soviet-era infrastructure, much of Kazakhstan's oil and gas export infrastructure is integrated with major Caspian oil and natural gas export routes that interlink the region. "

PIPELINES AND EXPORT ROUTES FROM KAZAKHSTAN | Facts and Details

See? Your happiness matters when it comes to Kazakhstan.

Pipelines? They transport oil, important but this is a small part of oil production and not really the technical part of oil recovery. I wasn't saying 0% of it is Russian but its far from significant.

Highlights from your purported evidence of Russians giving Kazakhs their energy infrastructure:

"The domestic pipeline system in Kazakhstan is underdeveloped." Natural gas is exported out of 2 pipes. one to China (not Russian) and one to Russia described in your link as "not helpful". Main oil export pipes are the $4 billion Caspian pipeline (not Russian) and the China one (I'll let you guess who). Another pipeline they route oil through is from Ukraine to Poland. Hmm, no Russians there.

The whole point of the article was explaining how kazakhstan is able to work around having to use Russia and Russian "pipes" to export their oil because Russia is obviously an inferior route. Bravo, I lie defeated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe