Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 06:06 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Latvia announced it is phasing out Russian language in its schools. Its part of making their nation more secure long term (Ukraine is the example). How many days until Russia blames the USA?
That's about the stupidest move they could make. Like it or not major swaths of the population across the Baltics and EE speak Russian or a dialect of it. In a global age where one key to success in certain fields such as business is speaking more than one language they aren't making the country more secure, it's tossing a wrench into the works of childrens futures. In the immediate future all the Russians that live there won't like it either, how's that for security? Maybe Lativia should have some torch light parades and some nocturnal ethnic cleansing activities.

What language do they speak there anyway? Polish? Most educated Europeans will speak their native language and have a good command of maybe english and at least one other. Russian should be available since 25% of Latvians are of Russian heritage. Are they just going to teach Latvian in school? How many people in the world speak Latvian?

I guess it makes sense to fascists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 07:11 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
LOL. Russian language is dying out with its old angry ex-communists in the Baltics. So are the Russians themselves, as their death and emigration rates exceed that of the native population in those countries. "Latvians" in UK cleaning toilets speak Russian.

Latvians speak Latvian. Their second language in school is English and it has been since the 90s. Estonia already did this years ago, Latvia is just one of the last countries to phase out Russian taught in high schools and switch to English as the 2nd language. Ukraine is doing the same. Don't like it? Maybe they shouldn't sneak soldiers into neighboring countries and pose as locals. They are only undoing 200 years of forced Russification anyway. Anyone unhappy about it is welcome to move back to the paradise Putin has built for them, plenty of room...

Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
LOL. Russian language is dying out with its old angry ex-communists in the Baltics. So are the Russians themselves, as their death and emigration rates exceed that of the native population in those countries. "Latvians" in UK cleaning toilets speak Russian.

Latvians speak Latvian. Their second language in school is English and it has been since the 90s. Estonia already did this years ago, Latvia is just one of the last countries to phase out Russian taught in high schools and switch to English as the 2nd language. Ukraine is doing the same. Don't like it? Maybe they shouldn't sneak soldiers into neighboring countries and pose as locals. They are only undoing 200 years of forced Russification anyway. Anyone unhappy about it is welcome to move back to the paradise Putin has built for them, plenty of room...
They do?
Then Russian language changed beyond recognition, and turned into its "original Baltic" form, as it has been gazillion years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvo0R1BRXn8

(and this video was the most heart-breaking of them all, sort of a wake-up call for me.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pZ8ro6raw

No, it's precisely Latvians/Lithuanians/Estonians (and now - increasingly Ukrainians) that are used as cheap labor in EU, not ethnic Russians. All while you are feeding us fairy-tales here.
As I've already said before, the Baltic countries didn't fair well, once they were "set free" from mean horrible Russia.
Their population is dwindling, and they are literally USED by the wealthy EU countries.
I don't think it's fair, and I don't think it's the way to prosperity for these countries; rather slow death as nations.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
There are population statistics that back up my statements. I have stats, boring stats that show the Russian populations of the Baltic states declined by much more than the Baltic populations did. Latvian and Estonian Baltic fertility rates are higher than Russians.

Funny how once they set free from Russia, their living standards surpassed their neighbor and they are willing to fight to keep it that way. No amount of anectdotal videos change the facts.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:05 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Why would @foreignoffice delete this tweet from 22 March?

https://govoritmoskva.ru/media/cache...4638aa8fa9.jpg

This is a failure.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:10 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
In Taganrog, 37-year-old local resident was detained, suspected of poisoning the aviation complex with thallium. It seems that this is not a production accident. Most likely a domestic conflict between employees.
www.rbc.ru/society/04/04/2018/5ac4a2649a79471783a1ecbe

Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 AM

There was another fire in a mall, one dead. Happened in Moscow. I think that they're making a mistake when facilities for children are located above the ground floor.

TASS: Society & Culture - One person killed in fire in Moscow shopping mall

Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
In Taganrog, 37-year-old local resident was detained, suspected of poisoning the aviation complex with thallium. It seems that this is not a production accident. Most likely a domestic conflict between employees.
www.rbc.ru/society/04/04/2018/5ac4a2649a79471783a1ecbe
That stuff is really common, it's essentially rat poison. I can certainly see some pissed off a hole poisoning the samovar in the cantina too. That's pretty low.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I can see modifying an educational system to be more efficient. Here in America we don't teach Chinese or Spanish as the primary language. They're secondary and courses are available in high school and others. Latvia isn't a filthy rich country with the means to cater to every language spoken in it's borders.

Russian kids there will probably learn Russian from their mothers and take whatever other languages they need as they go. Russian there is not going to disappear as a language. The fascists need to keep an eye on the eastern horizon too. The fantasy of mass graves of Russians need to remain that. Or else.

Best keep that in mind.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
There are population statistics that back up my statements. I have stats, boring stats that show the Russian populations of the Baltic states declined by much more than the Baltic populations did. Latvian and Estonian Baltic fertility rates are higher than Russians.

Funny how once they set free from Russia, their living standards surpassed their neighbor and they are willing to fight to keep it that way. No amount of anectdotal videos change the facts.
No amount of statistics and propaganda are going to change what people know as reality. I remember years ago meeting a family on the train from St Pete to Moscow. They were moving back to Russia with their kids from America. We are losing one of our best field mechanics later this month because he and his wife are moving their family back to Perm while their children are still young. He and his father are starting their own business there. Opportunity abounds in Russia if you're smart enough to see it. He grew up here and so did his wife and because this society is so screwed up they don't want their children to grow up here.

All your crap isn't going to hide the pathetic fact that the Baltics states solved their employment issues not by getting people jobs but by getting people out of the country because there were not any freaking jobs. Ask Christine LeGarde about that success story. Ask all the Ukrainians and other Eastern Europeans FLEEING poverty in your version of paradise I meet all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe