Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 01:09 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times

Advertisements

US folds on Nord Stream 2

https://tomluongo.me/2018/09/21/trum...tream-2-logic/

https://sputniknews.com/analysis/201...y-cooperation/

It made too much economic sense for everyone at both ends of the pipeline to diversity transit routes to reduce the leverage of Ukraine and Poland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

It made too much economic sense for everyone at both ends of the pipeline to diversity transit routes to reduce the leverage of Ukraine and Poland.
Why doesn't Russia build more pipelines through Belarus? Or would Poland be opposed to that too?

Old 09-21-2018, 04:07 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Why doesn't Russia build more pipelines through Belarus? Or would Poland be opposed to that too?
It makes no economic sense to do that because Poland would charge transit fees. This already occurs and Ukraine charges a lot to use their pipes too. Besides, Germany is the country with the $$ to pay for the pipe so it will get built where the customer wants (directly to them of course).

Old 09-21-2018, 04:22 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
So funny how it seems Russia loses battles but wins wars. It isn't over until the fat lady sings.
Well this one is over actually. And its interesting because now Russia has a taste of a middle east war where victory is a nebulous definition. Certainly an argument can be made either way whether Russia won there. Some but not all goals were achieved. Assad didn't lose and managed to recapture many important regions. But they stopped short of retaking the whole country and by a wide margin. And before Russia got involved, Turkey and the USA didn't control areas in Syria. Nevertheless, I expect Putin to give another victory speech, declaring victory for the 3rd time.

Sort of like the USA in Iraq. Iraq is no longer run by a mass murdering dictator attacking our allies in the region. But its not exactly ideal either.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:27 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
It makes no economic sense to do that because Poland would charge transit fees. This already occurs and Ukraine charges a lot to use their pipes too. Besides, Germany is the country with the $$ to pay for the pipe so it will get built where the customer wants (directly to them of course).
You need to add to that the howling moonbats in charge of both countries and the unreliability of the service they would provide. Russia is the natural ally of any country in the EU that has any economic power. That's why France is licking the left boot of Murika while Britain licks the right. Countries like Poland are going to have be content looking on and barking loudly at threats that don't exist just to keep the master pleased.

I read that America is going to build a NATO base in Warsaw. Nato will take 2 billion a year in as "protection fees" from the hide of Polish citizens. Plus the billions it's going to cost to build it. LMAO!!!

Old 09-21-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Well this one is over actually. And its interesting because now Russia has a taste of a middle east war where victory is a nebulous definition. Certainly an argument can be made either way whether Russia won there. Some but not all goals were achieved. Assad didn't lose and managed to recapture many important regions. But they stopped short of retaking the whole country and by a wide margin. And before Russia got involved, Turkey and the USA didn't control areas in Syria. Nevertheless, I expect Putin to give another victory speech, declaring victory for the 3rd time.

Sort of like the USA in Iraq. Iraq is no longer run by a mass murdering dictator attacking our allies in the region. But its not exactly ideal either.
I think Russia won this battle in an ongoing conflict in Syria and in the ME. I don't think Russia made a bad decision but they could have made a lot more thorough job of it. I guess the level of involvement that would be needed was not palatable to them. Prudent but unwise. Russia does not have the means to project the required forces that far for a long period of time. I doubt the Russian people would have tolerated it either.

I disagree with you on Saddam too. lIke it or not he was a necessity.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

Closer relations between Russia and the EU is inevitable and above all natural in nature. America has nothing to offer and is rapidly becoming irrelevant. An annoyance at best.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:45 PM

US sanctions China for it's cooperation with Russia in the military sphere.

https://www.rt.com/news/439005-china...s-military-us/

Yeah? Just what is Murika going to do about it? Drive CHina and Russia together even more. Of course.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Yamal-Europe goes through Poland and Ukraine. The two form a blockade to the sea. Russia is only diverting a percentage of gas around Ukraine by way of Nord Stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Closer relations between Russia and the EU is inevitable and above all natural in nature. America has nothing to offer and is rapidly becoming irrelevant. An annoyance at best.
There is a strong likelihood of natural gas output from both Norway and US fracking peaking within 5 years as well as in Russia. That calls for creating more competition among sources, not less.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 AM

US think tank calls for peace talks with ISIS and Al Qaeda, two terrorist groups the US and its partners founded, since it wants to give them each a piece of Syria.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/09/19...mpression=true

Trying to manufacture a legal justification for US troops to establish the two regions as protectorates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe