Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

I was watching Boris cooking and start to wonder: how much of the food you Russians eat are 'traditional' food from your area? Or do you eat much pasta and so on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:43 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What's Listvyanka Jesse? Is it a town? a village?...

(OK, this should be it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9f4C-KtlG8

Looks pretty small to me, so is it a town then?

Ha-ha, I read on FB a lot of jokes from Russians, that are saying "since we starve so much because of the sanctions, and we can't get Spanish jamon any longer or French cheese, we headed to such and such river yesterday, and got back to our boring Russian food; such and such smoked fish, shashlyk, chicken-tabaka ( and then they post the pictures, and I am like; "I WANT THAT FISH!!!!" )
But... I hope you survived all that hanging fish in your "platzcart," lol)))) ( And by the way how was food in wagon - restaurant on that train? )

What was good and bad about Tuymen? Yes, it's one of those "oil cities," but I was talking to someone from Surgut for quite some time; it's yet another "oil city," but it's nowhere as nice as Tuymen for some reason.

P.S. Note to myself; the music in the first video is a remake of an older song, and the original was actually better.

So here it is, enjoy it while you are moving alone in Siberia))))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL-UC6fxt_s
Thanks! I will listen soon.

Tyumen was just too....familiar, I guess? It actually just reminded me far too much of where I am from. Like Sudbury, it's kind of a big city, it looks very new-world, it's in the middle of nowhere, and while it's probably a good place to live in and be a local, it just wasn't very captivating from a foreigner's perspective. It just turned 455 years old, though.

Listvyanka is the first town you hit as you drive down the road following the Angara from Irkutsk. It's immediately East of the mouth of the river entering Baikal. The centre of it is touristy in a typical beachy way. Loads of Russians swimming, walking around, cracking open beers, grilling meat and fish, and eating ice cream. It's not for me, but it was good for an introduction to the lake.

The highlight was the The Great Baikal Trail leading out of Listvyanka. It's serene and empty of any humans or development. Within an hour you feel like you are in the middle of the wilderness, and you kind of are.

The 2016 season of summer trail building projects is now open! | The Great Baikal Trail

Old 07-31-2016, 11:01 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, in view of the video, I have no idea what it means. How do you have an "urban-type village"? It makes no sense.
It does, it does, if you are in Russia)))
From what I read here, the "Urban type settlement" is identified as such during Soviet times. The amount of inhabitants is between the amount in the population of a city and a village. ( Here I have to make a note that in Russian language "village" can be translated by two different words; "село" and "деревня." And since being a damn Moscovite as I was, I never knew the difference between those two. I read about it for the first time; the original difference that goes back to Tzarist Russia of course, was that "деревня" unlike "cело" didn't have its own church!
So the main feature of the "urban type settlement" vs traditional Russian village is that the population there (usually more than 3,000 people) is NOT involved into traditional agrarian activities, but for example they are employed in the process industry. In modern Russian "деревня" and "село" are already used interchangeably, with "село" being used more often the more you move to the Western part of the country and "деревня" - the more you move to the Eastern part.

Quote:
I'm sure it dates back that far, but the big apartment/hotel-type buildings are new.
Yes, everything looks pretty innovated there.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Thanks! I will listen soon.

Tyumen was just too....familiar, I guess? It actually just reminded me far too much of where I am from. Like Sudbury, it's kind of a big city, it looks very new-world, it's in the middle of nowhere, and while it's probably a good place to live in and be a local, it just wasn't very captivating from a foreigner's perspective. It just turned 455 years old, though.
Oh, it's interesting to hear. And Sudbury is how old?

Quote:
Listvyanka is the first town you hit as you drive down the road following the Angara from Irkutsk. It's immediately East of the mouth of the river entering Baikal. The centre of it is touristy in a typical beachy way. Loads of Russians swimming, walking around, cracking open beers, grilling meat and fish, and eating ice cream. It's not for me, but it was good for an introduction to the lake.

The highlight was the The Great Baikal Trail leading out of Listvyanka. It's serene and empty of any humans or development. Within an hour you feel like you are in the middle of the wilderness, and you kind of are.

The 2016 season of summer trail building projects is now open! | The Great Baikal Trail
That's what I was trying to explain to Bale earlier. That in Russia there is no sprawl like in the US. Once you get out of the "civilization" spots - (cities, villages,) it's the wilderness out there ( in that part of the country at least.)

Old 07-31-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I was watching Boris cooking and start to wonder: how much of the food you Russians eat are 'traditional' food from your area? Or do you eat much pasta and so on?
Studying closely the eating habits of the enemy, are we?

Old 07-31-2016, 12:11 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
?!
What do you mean by "pasta"? People eat noodles, as an alternative to rice or potatoes, it's normal. Do you mean Italian pasta?

Old 07-31-2016, 02:13 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Maxim what the heck it is - kamikaze vacations?
Nature tourism is very popular in Russia. Many people redesigning their cars off-road. These guys are the official masters of sports on tourism.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:43 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
?!
What do you mean by "pasta"? People eat noodles, as an alternative to rice or potatoes, it's normal. Do you mean Italian pasta?
Yes, Italian pasta. Like fresh pasta, penne, gnocchi, fusilli...

Old 08-01-2016, 10:38 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Yes, Italian pasta. Like fresh pasta, penne, gnocchi, fusilli...
No, not really. There aren't varieties, like that, generally. Maybe in Moscow somewhere, but it's not really a thing.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:09 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
I think, that 'traditional' food is "schi" (cabbage soup), Ukrainian "borsch" (beet soup), "kasha" (boiled grains, for exemple, buckwheat and others), boiled turnip (btw, I've never tried it), pancakes (with filling), bread, honey (including fermented honey and water), "kvass" (fermented bread and water).

Russia is the multinational country, so the food is very diverse. Includes pasta. But pasta with stewed meat is popular, but not historically traditional food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe