Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times

Advertisements

Was Putin referring to FYROM or Greek Macedonia? Cyril and Methodius were born in Thessaloniki which is in Greek Macedonia. (Also Bulgaria has a tendency to back stab Russia, so I can definitely see how it could've been intentional not to say Bulgaria)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Cyril and Methodius were born in Thessaloniki which is in Greek Macedonia.
But Clement of Ohrid lived on the territory of modern FYROM. It is the common history of Bulgaria, Greece, FYROM and other countries. As Kievan Rus is the common history of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:00 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Was Putin referring to FYROM or Greek Macedonia? Cyril and Methodius were born in Thessaloniki which is in Greek Macedonia. (Also Bulgaria has a tendency to back stab Russia, so I can definitely see how it could've been intentional not to say Bulgaria)
It sounds to me that he was being deliberately vague, so as to avoid a faux pas. "The Macedonian lands" is a vague term that sounds carefully-chosen, to me.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds to me that he was being deliberately vague, so as to avoid a faux pas. "The Macedonian lands" is a vague term that sounds carefully-chosen, to me.
This is true. I don't know, Putin writes his speeches himself or his assistants do it, but his texts is of very high level historically.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:17 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
These are the Macedonian lands, the geographic land which is populated by a diverse set of people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_(region)

Old 05-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Russians don't use calling "FYROM", they say "Macedonia". "The Macedonian lands" have a double meaning: lands of
FYROM and lands of geographic Macedonia. But Putin did not make a clarification.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I do not like them only when they are trying to make a revolution. But in general, I'm a lot closer to them than to a guys from a factory.
Yes, I figured that much out)))

Quote:
You confirm my theory. You like the history, because you know it.
You know what happened? At school I didn't care much for history. I mean I didn't mind it ( unlike math that I hated with passion) - it was just another subject. But one particular teacher that was in charge of our class happened to be a history teacher, and she decided to *like* me. And that meant that she made sure I was sitting near her at the front desk during ALL her lessons, and she was yelling at me mercilessly, every time she thought I was getting distracted (I was notorious for that, getting under the desk and reading whatever I was pleased instead of listening to all them.)
So I had no other choice basically but to sit and listen to what she was teaching AND to do the home work, since if I DID NOT, she was making a *prime example* of me for the rest of the class. Of course she was not coming up with her own curriculum - it was a standard program for all Soviet schools, with standard text-books, but the scope and depth of the program was amazing, now when I look back at it. The history of the ancient world, the Egypt and Mesopotamia, the history of medieval Europe, the history of church, the Byzantium, the Reformation, the era of Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment, the change of social formations ( and reasons behind it,) the history of the United States - I mean it was amazing what our history program covered from 4th to 7th grades. 8th grade to 10th grade - it was already more about history of Russia, history of the USSR and then "Social studies," which I was already "прогуливала," because at that point there was a lot of Soviet propaganda involved, and there was no way I was going to learn any of it. However the initial foundation - the World history - was beaten into me by that time fairly well; so later on in life I was simply looking up for more details/expanded some knowledge, but the solid basis was already there by the time I was 14.
Now in my "family life" the history was all around me too, but it was a bit different. I was raised by my grand-parents mostly, and it was Stalin's generation of course, and Stalin's generation was still much closer to Tzarist Russia, particularly that some of my great-grand parents - the "Old Believers" ( Староверцы) were still alive. So I was lucky to see this whole transition of generations, the gradual change, which was particularly drastic with Khrushev's generation I think.
The only thing I feel sorry sometimes, is that I really could never talk/ask questions one particular member of the family, who was among the Stalingrad's commandment there, and lived to tell. I was too small back then, and he was not a very talkative person from what I remember, but well-respected.
However I've had the ear full of other stories in the family - how they've barely escaped the labor camp, how one particular person asked to spare them personally in front of Stalin - that kind of stuff. So yes, I was lucky to hear all this "witnessing of times" first hand.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Soviets shot films (historical adventures) not about Russian history. Only films about the Civil War and this:
Spoiler

1936 Том Сойер
1946 Белый клык
1962 Деловые люди
1968 След Сокола
1973 Совсем пропащий
1973 Всадник без головы
1975 Смок и Малыш
1976 Мустанг-иноходец
1976 Марк Твен против…
1977 Вооружён и очень опасен
1981 Приключения Тома Сойера и Гекльберри Финна
1982 Трест, который лопнул
1982 Звезда и смерть Хоакина Мурьеты
1983 Витя Глушаков - друг апачей
1987 Следопыт
1987 Человек с бульвара Капуцинов
1990 Зверобой
1992 Сердца трёх

+ Tarkovsky, but this is different.
Maxim, from what I see - these are mostly children's movies.
( You'd be surprised to learn by the way that couple of the MOST popular stories for Russian children are not even vaguely familiar to Americans, even though ORIGINALLY that's where they came from))) )
But if you include ADULT movies ( speaking of Tarkovsky,) why are you missing something like Adjutant to His Excellency,

or the "Captivating star of happiness", or "My Affectionate and Tender Beast" ?
Even though the history of Imperial Russia was not coming through movies that much, it was STILL coming through the classical Russian literature, that was studied extensively both in schools and Universities.

Quote:
I think, that the popularization of Russian history was absent.
Not quite so. Not when it comes to literature at least. But on another hand of course Tzarist Russia was greatly stigmatized by Soviet propaganda.

Quote:
Yes, I agree that the Bolsheviks did a lot of good things for the city. And I do not advocate to accuse them of all sins. They did what they had to do in that situation. But to build a new person (like and new Moscow) had to break a lot.
Yes it's true.
That's why it angers me, that those that came AFTER them, instead of keeping what positive Bolsheviks did, their achievements, and building up on that while removing all the negativity that Soviet times brought, these sh*ts decided to pocket anything and everything instead.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times
I've said this many times before, historical texts do NOT mention Macedonia at all. One contemporary text says something like:
"With Gods help and King Simeon Slavs now write in their own alphabet and no longer depend on Bizantine".

Another contemporary source mentions Kliment Ohridski as Bulgarian:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_of_Ohrid

Ohrid was capital of Bulgarian empire for long period...not conquered, but capital.

Western powers and Russia made Macedonia their own country, before being part of Serbia/Yugoslavia.

And who cares what Putin say, another desperate attempt to save the country from entering the eu, I won't be surprised that russia will claim the alphabet comes from serbia or turkey when macedonia enter the eu.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:55 PM

36 posts, read 20,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
not when it comes to literature at least. But on another hand of course tzarist russia was greatly stigmatized by soviet propaganda.
The soviet propaganda was right, in the main, I think

Old 06-02-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I've said this many times before, historical texts do NOT mention Macedonia at all.
Like Ukraine. But Ukraine is also Rus.

Quote:
One contemporary text says something like:
"With Gods help and King Simeon Slavs now write in their own alphabet and no longer depend on Bizantine".

Another contemporary source mentions Kliment Ohridski as Bulgarian:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_of_Ohrid

Ohrid was capital of Bulgarian empire for long period...not conquered, but capital.
Now it is land of Macedonia for Russians. But of course this is Bulgaria in the historical view. And the Russian language has a huge layer of the Old Bulgarian language.

Quote:
And who cares what Putin say, another desperate attempt to save the country from entering the eu, I won't be surprised that russia will claim the alphabet comes from serbia or turkey when macedonia enter the eu.
No, he will come up with other compliments for Serbia and Turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe