Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 09:45 AM

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I suspect in hindsight Russia will regret not just trying to take Rus majority areas in E and SE. Trying to take Kiev and bombing across Ukraine galvanized global attitude in a way that didn't happen with Ossetia. Also guarantees Zelensky remains in power once war is over if they don't get him, his policies towards E and big reason this escalated. I still think Russia will be able to annex parts of the E but now they're in a quagmire that sours global opinion with each extra day.
I don't know if Putin properly calculated the blowback from this military adventure, which looks like it will be considerable - which is good - the West has largely ignored Russian aggression in recent years until now.

Considering the great mismatch in military hardware and technology, Ukraine is putting up a great fight. Still, I don't think they can actually win - the gap in capabilities is too much. Zelensky, ultimately, is doomed in my opinion. Putin is hitting civilian targets more and more each day and he is destroying critical infrastructure like water reservoirs and oil/gas pipelines. This is being done to break the will of the people - those who aren't killed outright will have even the basics of ordinary life made impossible.

One can argue that they should simply accept their fate to reduce the death and destruction Putin inflicts on them, but what could mean being absorbed into Russia completely, or at least many decades of Russian rule by a government that's loyal to Moscow instead of Ukraine is not exactly a bright future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 10:00 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Long Live Ukraine.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:06 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Spokesperson for the Russian Army is reporting that Ukrainians are using the phosphorous bombs.

He is sending the stern warning to Ukrainian Nationalists as well;

"We already promised that all Ukrainian troops that put down the arms volunteerly will be free to go home.

But we are well aware that our POWs are tortured and killed by Ukrainian nationalists in the same manner as Germans and their collaborators did during the WWII.
So we are warning that you will not get away with it as you hope - the names, the locations will becomes known to us and people that commit these war crimes will be dealt with."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx0ggr-cgvg

Old 02-27-2022, 10:33 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Oh, how terrible the Ukrainians are! The Russian army is destroying their country, their infrastructure and killing civilians and the civilians want to fight back! Why aren't they just willing to die politely? The Russian army has far superior weapons and military technology, but you really have to admire the courage of the Ukrainian people and their willingness to fight back against all odds.

Putin is a dangerous despot, who hopefully is about to learn the same lesson the U.S. did in Vietnam.
The entire Russian Parliament fears him, you can see it on their faces during sessions.
No country seems to fare well when 1 person calls all the shots, devoid of checks or balances; in this system of dictatorship.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:42 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Putin is a dangerous despot, who hopefully is about to learn the same lesson the U.S. did in Vietnam.

I hope not, America was extremely greedy back then and the war was going for how long, a decade I think? Imagine all the suffering in Ukraine now extended for 10 years, I don't want to see it but like I said the west doesn't care it's all about money too them as always.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:52 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Ruble will be 1 USD:150 tomorrow. Russians have their beloved President to thank. Congratulations on becoming the new North Korea.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:55 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Ruble will be 1 USD:150 tomorrow. Russians have their beloved President to thank. Congratulations on becoming the new North Korea.

I bet the american dollar wasn't skyrocketing when America invaded France to liberate it from the nazis. Americans had Roosevelt to thank...

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
The entire Russian Parliament fears him, you can see it on their faces during sessions.
No country seems to fare well when 1 person calls all the shots, devoid of checks or balances; in this system of dictatorship.
Putin controls Russia with an iron fist. For the past 20 years, anyone who tries to criticize Putin, investigate Putin, or run against him in an election, is jailed, poisoned or otherwise murdered under "mysterious" circumstances.

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:

How come it was not a problem when only one person and one person was calling all the shots in post-Soviet Russia? ( I.e. then president of Russia - Boris Yeltsin.)

Clintons were still supporting this so-called "democracy," just because Russia "got rid of communism."
But "getting rid of communism" and having a lawful state with working multi-party system is not one and the same thing, wouldn't you agree?

Ah yeah, I get it - Yeltsin was a US puppet, a convenient dictator, but Putin is not.

That's the major difference.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:01 AM

2,367 posts, read 909,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Oh, how terrible the Ukrainians are! The Russian army is destroying their country, their infrastructure and killing civilians and the civilians want to fight back! Why aren't they just willing to die politely? The Russian army has far superior weapons and military technology, but you really have to admire the courage of the Ukrainian people and their willingness to fight back against all odds.
"Against all odds"? Easy for you to say, sitting in Massachusetts. Maybe some Ukrainians don't want to? The US supplied all these weapons and now have cast Ukrainians as courageous people who will die for freedom. The American media created a Hollywood script starring heroic Zelensky against Darth Vader. And Zelensky is loving it. No peace talks! Must die fighting. Meanwhile Americans watch the drama on CNN for entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe