Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2022, 09:59 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

There are several independent media reports that the Russians are targeting civilians. They don't even deny thery have killed civilians. Only dictator Putin claims they are not targeting civilians. Nor do you have any proof to support your ridiculous claim that the Ukrainian missle hit the apartments.
There are no independent media in the West. They are all controlled either by the state or moneybags. And they have no opinion of their own, what they are told is what they do. What kind of lies they were given, such they place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 10:04 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You have to laugh at the way Russians have been describing all this. First they claim they are invading Ukraine because they've discovered mass graves of children there - thousands of little coffins with the children torn to pieces ... and now as the Russian army attacks Ukraine, they claim that all the Ukrainians are being killed by Ukrainians! OMG.
In fact, everything is so. The Ukrainian government uncontrollably distributed small arms to the population , probably the Americans advised again, and naturally looting, armed robberies began, they also shot their own military and civilians, mistaking them for Russians. Let them continue in the same spirit.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:17 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
When Kosovo left Serbia, America and western europe supported "independence and freedom of the oppressed half-whites" and etc bs. Now, what happened America? Why don't they support freedom and independence of eastern Ukraine? Double standards eh...
The US wanted to run an oil pipeline through Bulgaria and Kosovo, that's what the support for Kosovo was about. But Putin put a stop to it via Bulgaria, which is closer to Russia politically than it ever was to America.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:26 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The US wanted to run an oil pipeline through Bulgaria and Kosovo, that's what the support for Kosovo was about. But Putin put a stop to it via Bulgaria, which is closer to Russia politically than it ever was to America.

Yeah because Ukraine is not culturally close to Russia...I'm waiting for the west to give a list of what country in eastern europe is good and which one is bad. For 10 years I thought Serbia is bad while "romania and bulgaria" are just gipsies who want to go to western europe. Now suddenly Bulgaria is bad and Ukraine is closer to "diversity" and "solidarity"...

Old 02-27-2022, 04:54 AM

53 posts, read 43,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Yeah because Ukraine is not culturally close to Russia...I'm waiting for the west to give a list of what country in eastern europe is good and which one is bad. For 10 years I thought Serbia is bad while "romania and bulgaria" are just gipsies who want to go to western europe. Now suddenly Bulgaria is bad and Ukraine is closer to "diversity" and "solidarity"...
The government and the people have different ideas.I know many Russians and Ukrainians have many relatives.Ukraine's biggest problem is choosing a Jewish president and an actor.If Ukraine remains neutral.n fact, this war will not happen at all.Ukraine itself is a buffer zone for Russia and NATO.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:17 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
In fact, everything is so. The Ukrainian government uncontrollably distributed small arms to the population , probably the Americans advised again, and naturally looting, armed robberies began, they also shot their own military and civilians, mistaking them for Russians. Let them continue in the same spirit.
Oh, how terrible the Ukrainians are! The Russian army is destroying their country, their infrastructure and killing civilians and the civilians want to fight back! Why aren't they just willing to die politely? The Russian army has far superior weapons and military technology, but you really have to admire the courage of the Ukrainian people and their willingness to fight back against all odds.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-27-2022 at 05:28 AM..

Old 02-27-2022, 05:50 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Oh, how terrible the Ukrainians are! The Russian army is destroying their country, their infrastructure and killing civilians and the civilians want to fight back! Why aren't they just willing to die politely? The Russian army has far superior weapons and military technology, but you really have to admire the courage of the Ukrainian people and their willingness to fight back against all odds.
Fair enough, but same or similar can be said for Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, even Serbia, though few westerners have sympathy for those innocent people and certainly not western policy makers except to exploit the crap out of some of them as mercenaries and refugees.

Business is business.

So back to reality on the ground, because that will determine the course of any real negotiations and perhaps even whether Mr Putin survives in the race by outsiders to send more arms to the Ukrainians and most likely even unmarked special forces (little green men, western style).

I have read that Russian troops have started to enter Kharkiv, that the situation around Kherson and Berdyansk is “blocked”. Very little about Melitopol and Mariupol, and almost nothing about whether the Donbass Russians have expanded their territories, and almost nothing about Odessa. As for Kiev, perhaps Russian troops have started to enter the capital from the north.

We hear nothing about the central swathe of Ukraine or the highways from west to east, so I’m also wondering whether, with respect to the entry of foreign arms and mercenaries, the Russian Air Force has control over the skies, airports, and highways.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:01 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Oh, how terrible the Ukrainians are! The Russian army is destroying their country,

Russia is fighting with an arm, even two, tied to its back precisely because it wants to prevent civilian casualties as much as possible.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:35 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I suspect in hindsight Russia will regret not just trying to take Rus majority areas in E and SE. Trying to take Kiev and bombing across Ukraine galvanized global attitude in a way that didn't happen with Ossetia. Also guarantees Zelensky remains in power once war is over if they don't get him, his policies towards E and big reason this escalated. I still think Russia will be able to annex parts of the E but now they're in a quagmire that sours global opinion with each extra day.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:33 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I suspect in hindsight Russia will regret not just trying to take Rus majority areas in E and SE. Trying to take Kiev and bombing across Ukraine galvanized global attitude in a way that didn't happen with Ossetia. Also guarantees Zelensky remains in power once war is over if they don't get him, his policies towards E and big reason this escalated. I still think Russia will be able to annex parts of the E but now they're in a quagmire that sours global opinion with each extra day.

I don't know if it sours opinion every day. I think it went pretty much to about as sour as it could be from day one.

I think a bigger issue is what a quagmire would do to internal opinion in Russia. The drawn out conflict in Afghanistan played a role in bringing down the Soviet Union as it was costly and a morale killer. I think the Russian government can't afford a multi-year quagmire here.

Of course, for Ukraine a drawn out quagmire would also mean a lot more internal destruction. In terms of the shape of their economy and infrastructure every day is an added loss. A quick Ukrainian surrender and of course a Russian withdrawal would likely save many thousands of civilian lives. I'm afraid though that in spite of the risks for Russia in a long conflict, it'd be impossible for them to withdraw without losing face, so that option I don't think is realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe