Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2022, 12:05 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Yes it is. It was he who in Malta in 1989 agreed to the withdrawal of troops from Eastern Europe and received nothing in return. Only verbal promises. He had to get guarantees that NATO would not come to the borders of Russia. As a result, we have a proxy war between Russia and NATO in Ukraine. Also, he, as the president of the USSR, allowed the signing of the Belovezhskaya agreements and destroyed the Union in the fastest and most dangerous way. Millions of lives are on his conscience and most Russians will not remember him with a good word.
You do realize that each of those countries have millions of people whose lives were adversely affected by Russian occupation for decades, and those ENTIRE NATIONS are not just game pieces on a Russian chessboard?

I swear, the more indignation about losing control over other ENTIRE NATIONS is shared by the Roosketeers, the more they reveal about the mentality they operate under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 12:11 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Russia acts as if it wasn't for the mythological protection of North America aka nato they would've taken eastern europe in a week. Yeah, we all saw how "Great" the russian army is in the past couple of months. Don't forget that in WW2 it was Kazakstan, Ukaine and Belarus too fighting the Nazis + a nice bonus from the winter. Vietnam and Ukraine showed us the "greatness" of the American and Russian armies. If it wasn't for a couple of scientists in the 30s/40s for inventing the atomic bomb no one will care and will only laugh at Putin or Trump's jokes.

Old 09-03-2022, 02:10 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,237,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You do realize that each of those countries have millions of people whose lives were adversely affected by Russian occupation for decades, and those ENTIRE NATIONS are not just game pieces on a Russian chessboard?

I swear, the more indignation about losing control over other ENTIRE NATIONS is shared by the Roosketeers, the more they reveal about the mentality they operate under.

I didn't say it shouldn't be done. I said that he should have received guarantees of the neutral status of these countries. And if you forget that most of these countries were occupied after the united Europe invaded the USSR and claimed more than 20 million lives.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:03 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I seriously doubt it, like I said an American with Russian Grandparents isn't Russian. I doubt there are any Russians in Russia posting on here apart from the obvious 'bots'.
I'm not talking about Americans with Russian grandparents. I'm talking about Russian immigres. But I'm not going to name names.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:44 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not talking about Americans with Russian grandparents. I'm talking about Russian immigres. But I'm not going to name names.
Of course you're not!

Old 09-03-2022, 03:51 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I didn't say it shouldn't be done. I said that he should have received guarantees of the neutral status of these countries. And if you forget that most of these countries were occupied after the united Europe invaded the USSR and claimed more than 20 million lives.
Those countries are free to side with whoever they want to side with! Why does Russia think it has the right to tell countries who they must ally with!? And before you ask, yes it works both ways! People obviously want freedom, they don't want to live under dictators in authoritarian hell-holes like Russia, China or North Korea! And as free Democratic countries it should be their choice.
If any population of any sovereign state wants their freedoms removed then that is up to them - obviously though that tends never to happen!

Old 09-03-2022, 04:17 PM

1,651 posts, read 867,941 times
Quote:
Those countries are free to side with whoever they want to side with! Why does Russia think it has the right to tell countries who they must ally with!? And before you ask, yes it works both ways! People obviously want freedom, they don't want to live under dictators in authoritarian hell-holes like Russia, China or North Korea! And as free Democratic countries it should be their choice.
If any population of any sovereign state wants their freedoms removed then that is up to them - obviously though that tends never to happen!
Sounds nice, but that's not how the world works. When nations border other nations, their choices affect their neighbor's security. Remember the Monroe Doctrine? Look what happened to Cuba. The Solomon Islands are located thousands of miles away from Australia and the U.S., yet both claim the island's recent friendliness with China somehow threatens their security. So, in theory yes, every nation should have the freedom to set their own independent foreign policy, but this the real world. Fairness and rights do not exist on the world stage. Only interest.

Please stop with this freedom stuff. This talk has led to endless world conflicts. They're not trying to spread or protect freedom, only ensure U.S. hegemony.

Old 09-03-2022, 05:02 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times
I’m taking the title of this thread seriously enough to ask this question: Is Beef Stroganoff an authentically Russian food?

Old 09-04-2022, 02:57 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt it, like I said an American with Russian Grandparents isn't Russian. I doubt there are any Russians in Russia posting on here apart from the obvious 'bots'.
Well both my parents immigrated from Ukraine/Russia including my brother and all my family members, I grew learning Russian first and grew up in a neighborhood full of Russians and to this day my mom speaks limited English so I use Russian on a daily basis. Yes my lived experiences are not the same as in Russia, so I’m not “Russian” in that sense, but my experiences are different from typical Americans as well. Growing up I never felt fully “American” and had a strong “Russian” identity. I also felt like I had more in common with other immigrant groups such as Mexicans and Asians than I did with white Americans, even if technically I am one. Over the years I’ve grown to identify with my American identity, but my “Russian” upbringing will always play a big part of who I am.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:03 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I’m taking the title of this thread seriously enough to ask this question: Is Beef Stroganoff an authentically Russian food?
Well, it's made with sour cream. That should tell you something. But let's look it up:
Quote:
The dish was named after Count Alexander Grigorievich Stroganoff, who lived in the late 19th century in Odessa.
Oops! Ukrainian? But Stroganoff was Russian... Better start a war to settle the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe